PDA

View Full Version : Shin Splints.

gggunit
04-18-2005, 10:56 AM
Just started playing ball hockey in a beer leaque.. however it is a bit competitive.. havent played in years.. i mean years.. trying to get back into shape and started getting pain in front of my shins.. even when I played football in Highschool I got it then as well.. any excersises that would help?

I didnt stretch before the game so I will try that next time..

and any tips on how I can make my slap shot harder.. dont got the proper technique down..

Melinda
04-18-2005, 11:07 AM
There's a really effective tape job I used on alot of football players and basketball players in high school. However, I'm not sure how comfortable it would be under a pair of skates.

Stretching is important, especially before and after your games and in between pracitces/games, get some good rest and continue stretching.

sputnik
04-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Melinda
There's a really effective tape job I used on alot of football players and basketball players in high school. However, I'm not sure how comfortable it would be under a pair of skates.

Stretching is important, especially before and after your games and in between pracitces/games, get some good rest and continue stretching.

FYI - "ball hockey" is the grown up word for "floor hockey" so there are no skates.

davidI
04-18-2005, 11:33 AM
Get new shoes! It will be cheaper than needing physio in the long-run!

QuasarCav
04-18-2005, 11:40 AM
On long marches in the Army I used to get them really bad. I loosened my boots but it would still take about 5km before there was any relief.

Alot of the more senior guys would only have the laces done up half-way, makes your shins more comfortable.

thinmyster
04-18-2005, 12:12 PM
where do you play i used to be in a league?
just dont take a ball to the shins that will make them worse

gggunit
04-18-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by davidI
Get new shoes! It will be cheaper than needing physio in the long-run!

Shoes are new.. bought a pair of nike shox's they are comfortable may need to go back to my old shoes.

Shaolin
04-18-2005, 12:20 PM
I had this problem last season right before the start of the outdoor season. I got a new pair of predators, and just started doing more conditioning and it was gone about 2 weeks later with daily conditioning.

Wildcat
04-18-2005, 03:09 PM
Strengthening the tibialis anterior?! This is where I'm a viking!!

Hahaha.... anyway... here's what you do. Get a resistance band and tie it around a stable sturdy unmovable object. Wrap it around the object twice... and hold on to the handles... and put your foot in the loop you made. Make sure the band is relatively tight (you may have to back up a bit). Sit on the ground with your leg extended, and your toe in the loop starting in a pointed position. Then flex your toe back towards your body. Do 12-15 reps of this... 3 sets. It really strengthens your shin and makes the pain go down, if not go away altogether.

The process of wrapping the band around the object is so hard to explain... so if you can't figure it out, I can do what I can to describe it a bit better.

(EDIT: P.S. - This is ~Leah~ talking... forgot I was on the wrong name...)

SUPRAPHAT
04-18-2005, 03:55 PM
I concur! :thumbsup:

Jason

hockeybronx
04-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by gggunit
and any tips on how I can make my slap shot harder.. dont got the proper technique down..

It's kind of difficult in ball hockey, the whole principle of a slap shot revolves are the disc shaped puck, not a ball.

However most people when playing ball hockey try to rush the shot and kind of flail their arms and stick at the ball. Next time you are out try keeping a nice closed stick angle, hit the floor about 4 inches behind the ball, and take a little off your shooting motion.

You might find that the improved mechanics might lead to an increase in power and accuracy:D

Wildcat
04-19-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
Strengthening the tibialis anterior?! This is where I'm a viking!!

Hahaha.... anyway... here's what you do. Get a resistance band and tie it around a stable sturdy unmovable object. Wrap it around the object twice... and hold on to the handles... and put your foot in the loop you made. Make sure the band is relatively tight (you may have to back up a bit). Sit on the ground with your leg extended, and your toe in the loop starting in a pointed position. Then flex your toe back towards your body. Do 12-15 reps of this... 3 sets. It really strengthens your shin and makes the pain go down, if not go away altogether.

The process of wrapping the band around the object is so hard to explain... so if you can't figure it out, I can do what I can to describe it a bit better.

(EDIT: P.S. - This is ~Leah~ talking... forgot I was on the wrong name...)

WHAT THE SHIT? LOL

codo
04-19-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

FYI - "ball hockey" is the grown up word for "floor hockey" so there are no skates.

roller skates possibly?

hockeybronx
04-19-2005, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by codo

roller skates possibly?

Then it would be called 'roller hockey' or 'inline hockey'

codo
04-19-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

Then it would be called 'roller hockey' or 'inline hockey'

touche

i still call ball hockey the same as roller hockey but you are much more correct.

seer_claw
04-19-2005, 10:51 PM
Only one way to cure shin splints... lots of rest and no activity. They really get me at the beginning of soccer season but I try to take it easy for a while and allow the muscle to reattach to the bone. Then train it to do more activity.

Tyler883
04-20-2005, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat

WHAT THE SHIT? LOL

Wildcat and Leah.....

....sitting in a tree......

....K......I......

calgarygts
04-20-2005, 09:19 AM
Leah, what you told him to do will make his shins worse. Absolutely do not work the muscles even more making them tighter and thus causing more tearing. Rest, ice before and after, and stretching will help. It's also one of those things that you need to train through for a few years before they really go away. Orthodics may get rid of them but they're pretty pricey (not the dr. scholl's ones, they won't do shit - real ones made custom for you). Just try to ice them and take some ibuprofen's if they're bad. If you keep playing ball hockey, each year they will get better (assuming you quit for the winter months or take a yearly break of some kind).

SUPRAPHAT
04-20-2005, 03:14 PM
hahaha, you have no clue what your talking about!

Listen to Leah!

When we share the same opinion on something.............. then you know that it is correct!

Jason

~Leah~
04-20-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by SUPRAPHAT

Listen to Leah!

When we share the same opinion on something.............. then you know that it is correct!

Jason

LOL... sad, but true

fast95pony
04-20-2005, 10:48 PM
I started getting bad shin splints a few weeks ago during my walk/jogging. Bought new shoes and rested for 4 days (except for some stretching). I went today (10kms) and had the best walk since I started in October. Very little pain and beat my best time by 9 minutes. :)

SUPRAPHAT
04-21-2005, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by fast95pony
I started getting bad shin splints a few weeks ago during my walk/jogging. Bought new shoes and rested for 4 days (except for some stretching). I went today (10kms) and had the best walk since I started in October. Very little pain and beat my best time by 9 minutes. :)

The problem with doing nothing is that the pain will come back. You have to make the muscle stronger inorder to prevent the pain from coming back!

Jason

calgarygts
04-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by SUPRAPHAT

Listen to Leah!

Jason

I've done competitive track for many years as well as a few years of competitive bobseigh. I've had shin splints to the point of stress fractures, I've had testing done on my shins, talked to many trainers, physiotherapists, chiropractors about this problem. I've pretty much done everything possible short of surgery on my shins, from the regular ice/streching stuff to accupuncture, magnetic therapy, ultrasound therapy, etc, etc. I consider myself qualified enough to give advice about this.

SUPRAPHAT
04-21-2005, 02:32 PM
hmm, maybe your case is just exceptional then cus I work as a physical therapists aid, so I know how we treat patients with shin splints and what makes them better!

Jason

calgarygts
04-21-2005, 02:50 PM
Maybe, but in my experience with all the athletes I've talked with and trained with over the years mine have been a fairly 'standard' case of shin splints. I did let them get out of hand one year where I was not able to walk up and down stairs without a railing. The physiotherapists' that I talked to had some good ideas and some bad. I agree with you that making the muscle stronger is definitely needed but rest is also a very important piece of getting rid of this problem. You need to figure out what your body can take at the time, there were times when nothing but rest was definitely needed, but you also have to go through some amount of pain in your shins to get rid of the problem. Just don't let them get so bad that you have a hard time walking or that they are sore all the time. If they start to get sore when you're not doing physical activity it's time to back off a little. It's also a good idea to lay off any impact activity for a couple of months or at least a month each year to let them recover (if you have a problem with them).

calgarygts
04-21-2005, 03:00 PM
Be careful about the reverse calf raises too, I wouldn't give that advice out to anyone. I've seen many people try it and it has only made things worse in almost every case. While it should strengthen the muscle, it makes it tighter causing more tearing and more pain. Just my experience though, which has been with athletes, so maybe a little different than the regular joe.