PDA

View Full Version : Anyone taken Fnce 443?

davidI
04-18-2005, 01:13 PM
I have wanted to take a course involving personal investment and securities trading and the course is titled 'Security Analysis and Investments' so I was thinking it might be the ticket. Unfortunately, I realized a long time ago that the calendar description can be terribly different from the materials covered so if anyone has any first hand experience they could share it would be awesome!

Gainsbarre
04-18-2005, 01:27 PM
I just took FNCE 443 this semester. Here are the units covered:

Fixed Income Securities

Equities

Asset Allocation

Performance Evaluation

Futures and Options

Everything is covered at a VERY basic level...if you're only looking for one course on investments I would suggest FNCE 463 instead as it is much more challenging and more material is covered.

And if you do sign up for either 443 or 463 I can let you have a copy of my notes...I've typed up some very detailed lecture/reading notes for all of the classes I'm in.

If you have any more specific questions fire away.

davidI
04-18-2005, 01:40 PM
Which class is more time consuming or difficult?

I'm not in Finance or planning to go into Finance....just looking for some ideas on what to do with my money. Is one of the courses more directed towards personal finance than corporate?

Gainsbarre
04-18-2005, 04:14 PM
FNCE 463 is much more time consuming as it covers more material, but overall the course was MUCH more satisfying. FNCE 463 leans towards personal finance slightly more than 443, but both (like pretty much any FNCE course in the BComm programme) primarily focus on the corporate side of finance. Neither class is very mathematical; there wasn't anything beyond grade 9 algebra that was used in either class. I personally didn't find either class very difficult, but I think that most would agree that because of the reduced workload, FNCE 443 is the easier of the two.

If you're a BComm student looking for a course in personal finance, try MGST 559.03 (Personal Financial Management in Canada). Larry Wood has finally convinced the higher-ups to allow him to teach a course on personal finance that BComm students can apply (for credit) to their degree. I've taken the non-BComm equivalent (FNCE 343) and even though I can no longer apply it towards the degrees I'm completing, it was still very worthwhile and an excellent course overall.

Originally posted by davidI
Which class is more time consuming or difficult?

I'm not in Finance or planning to go into Finance....just looking for some ideas on what to do with my money. Is one of the courses more directed towards personal finance than corporate?

davidI
04-18-2005, 05:28 PM
Sweet! It's about time they have a Personal Finance course for business students! Thanks so much for pointing it out! I'll defiantely look into 559.03