PDA

View Full Version : WTF World Health Club

cycosis
04-19-2005, 09:15 AM
k, so i "won" two free weeks at their club the other night at coyotes. i jsut wanted to check out the club to see how it is cause i am interested in getting more fit. however, when i wanted to become a member they said i had to pay a monthly fee of either 50 or 100$ which i was fine with. but then they as i was about to sign i noticed some fine print that he forgot to mention. i would have to sign a one year contract that i wouldnt be able to cancel, meaning that when i go away for school, they would still be takin 50 or 100$ out of my account even though i never used their facilities. so screw that. anyone know of some more economical gyms that do like a pay as u go type of thing?

e_racer
04-19-2005, 09:18 AM
tailisman center

Speed_69
04-19-2005, 09:22 AM
ymca

Tyler883
04-19-2005, 09:24 AM
you could try a public facility, perhaps at a swimming pool. Maybe you can find a coupon system that helps you save money but still lets you avoid a monthly fee.

There a sportplex in the NE that does the coupon thing, its only about $4.50 per visit instead of the $10 you might have to pay at a liesure centre. The only problem is it's mostly a hockey arena, and the actual fitness room is very small.

Tyler883
04-19-2005, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by e_racer
tailisman center

Have you been there, whats it like?

carstar
04-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by cycosis
k, so i "won" two free weeks at their club the other night at coyotes. i jsut wanted to check out the club to see how it is cause i am interested in getting more fit. however, when i wanted to become a member they said i had to pay a monthly fee of either 50 or 100$ which i was fine with. but then they as i was about to sign i noticed some fine print that he forgot to mention. i would have to sign a one year contract that i wouldnt be able to cancel, meaning that when i go away for school, they would still be takin 50 or 100$ out of my account even though i never used their facilities. so screw that. anyone know of some more economical gyms that do like a pay as u go type of thing?

Yeah, i use to work at WHC and they are so bad about that. If you enter to win a free membership at the bar or at Subway, whatever....they take your info (everyone's) and give you 2 weeks free and then are on you everytime you are there and try to get you to sign a year or 2 contract.
They really pressure you and try to get you to sign a "no obligation" contract. at least at the one i worked at. It was pretty lame.

kaput
04-19-2005, 10:48 AM

core_upt
04-19-2005, 11:10 AM
Goodlife in Canyon Meadows has a summer student plan that is 3 months for $99 (plus some admin. fee I'd assume). Maybe give em a call if you're going away to school.

finboy
04-19-2005, 11:24 AM
was that seinfeld or friends that had an episode about this same issue? :rofl:

Civ2NR
04-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Stay away from WHC. I got suckered into a one year membership like you almost did. $63/month for the edgemont club and it sucked ass. Tried to get out of it but you basically need to die to get out of the contract :banghead: Go to the Y or Talisman or even Golds for that matter. IMO WHC = :thumbsdow

Wildcat
04-19-2005, 12:58 PM
sorry to jack the thread, but does anyone know if the shawnessy YMCA is going to have a 4 month summer deal for students? i know goodlife does but the ppl there drive me up the wall, id rather slap around the kids at the local Y then deal with a bunch of senile old farts at goodlife. gawd i hate old ppl, lol.

Tyler883
04-19-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
sorry to jack the thread, but does anyone know if the shawnessy YMCA is going to have a 4 month summer deal for students? i know goodlife does but the ppl there drive me up the wall, id rather slap around the kids at the local Y then deal with a bunch of senile old farts at goodlife. gawd i hate old ppl, lol.

You seem to be getting more opinionated every day.......you must be getting old, be careful, you'll be plucking you nostril hairs before long.

Wildcat
04-19-2005, 01:14 PM
^nah, i trim that shit. :rofl:

fast95pony
04-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
id rather slap around the kids at the local Y ...

So does Michael Jackson....

:rolleyes:

2.4l
04-22-2005, 12:32 AM
whc has advantages and disadvatages.. they try to fuck you for money, say your payments are late and what not, bullshit.. but thier facilities are awesome i think that they lack one machine i like from the U.. damn i love that thing.. one last back workout before summer:cry: 4 plates on that biach! .. anyways whcs benefit is that you can use any one all across calgary, the edgemont one i go to has a nice pool and sometimes little hoochie bitches if your into stupid chicks.. also at the one i workout at i feel sooo small compared to world class bodybuilder/s who are there, which is a benefit because it pushes you.. so many people are begining to workout i guess its 'cool' now with all the ufc media and whatnot.. :dunno:

BloodBaneZXY
04-25-2005, 12:20 AM
Even if you're signed up on a year contract, you can always freeze your account for upto 12 months while you go away to school.

Idratherbsidewayz
04-25-2005, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by cycosis

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh man, wish we had an I told you so smiley. Why do you think they were throwing them at people like that. That idiot asked me twice if I wanted to enter the contest, then when I declined the second time he said something about me being gay. Lost all respect for that place. Damn good advertising strategy...

Gondi Stylez
04-25-2005, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by fast95pony

So does Michael Jackson....

:rolleyes:

:rofl: :rofl: i dunno why but that made me laugh really hard!!! :rofl: i think i gotta go to sleep.... :nut:

mcshow
04-25-2005, 10:04 AM
if you wanna go to a good gym in the south, Gage's gym in Wood Bine is really good, i paid a start up fee of $35 and a monthly fee of $35 and you can do monthly and i also think that there is a good deal for students, well at least buying a membership for 4 months, you get a pretty good deal of around just over $100 i think

really good gym, and he used to be a professional bodybuilder and gives pretty sweet tips when you are working out but also it is not very crowded so thats what i like about it, you get your shit done without waiting for anybody to get off machines

statick
04-25-2005, 12:17 PM
:werd: WHC is pretty bad. when i was a member there i paid for my membership card ($40), but i didnt get it eve after a coulpe of months, so i ask them and they say i never ordered it. also when i wanted to end my membership, they didn't actually stop billing me until about the 3rd time i said i wanted to cancel it.

Idratherbsidewayz
04-25-2005, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by mcshow
if you wanna go to a good gym in the south, Gage's gym in Wood Bine is really good, i paid a start up fee of $35 and a monthly fee of $35 and you can do monthly and i also think that there is a good deal for students, well at least buying a membership for 4 months, you get a pretty good deal of around just over $100 i think

really good gym, and he used to be a professional bodybuilder and gives pretty sweet tips when you are working out but also it is not very crowded so thats what i like about it, you get your shit done without waiting for anybody to get off machines

Werd up to Gagne Fitness. Damn sweet gym, good equipment, cheap membership...

shakalaka
04-25-2005, 04:17 PM
I pay $35/month at my gym. Its the World Health Club on 32nd. But my bro is friends with the owners so its little cheaper for us.

Tyler883
04-25-2005, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by 2.4l
whc has advantages and disadvatages.. they try to fuck you for money, say your payments are late and what not, bullshit.. but thier facilities are awesome i think that they lack one machine i like from the U.. damn i love that thing.. one last back workout before summer:cry: 4 plates on that biach! .. anyways whcs benefit is that you can use any one all across calgary, the edgemont one i go to has a nice pool and sometimes little hoochie bitches if your into stupid chicks.. also at the one i workout at i feel sooo small compared to world class bodybuilder/s who are there, which is a benefit because it pushes you.. so many people are begining to workout i guess its 'cool' now with all the ufc media and whatnot.. :dunno:

Damn, with that animated picture that you have happening, please keep your messages short, it took forever to read it, and I really don't remember what you wrote. :nut:

KAVIE
04-25-2005, 08:27 PM
The YMCA never has Deals in fact over time they increase there prices. But it is affordable for students. Also you never have to pay full price, you just have to ask to speak with the Manager, and state your unable to pay full price. They then set up a half hour meeting with another manager in which they will negotiate a lower monthly price for you. Also if you volunteer 1 hour a week, you get a free membership.

BebeAphrodite
04-26-2005, 01:37 AM
Fricken WHC. They lie just to get people to go. I was sold a 'cancel at anytime member' with a 'higher initiation fee' only to find out that the 'plan' I was sold was only in discussion at the time I purchased it and was never really implemented. So instead of my $95 cancellation fee like I was initially told it was $700+ hahaha, what a rip off... o well I outsmarted those suckers.

e_racer
04-26-2005, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Tyler883

Have you been there, whats it like?

Its the old Lindsay park. pretty good. everything you need. Just the drive there sucks.

paranoidman
09-18-2008, 11:58 PM
WHC has nice equipment I'll have to give them that. These gyms really have lack of membership options; they want to sell you long term contracts but for alot of people that dosen't work because of their situations i.e. transient people, business travellers, out of towners who are only staying a couple weeks or a few months, part time gym users. They are really shutting these people out. This "affiliate" or sister club in other cities is a joke too, completely useless. I know your frustration. I've submitted a complaint and I hope more people will. I come and go for weeks at a time on business trips to Calgary but they're not flexable enough for me even though I've explained my situation to them.

TomcoPDR
09-19-2008, 12:05 AM
And like this thread that lasts 3 years+, WHC has been around for a long time (I've been on/off with them for the past 10 years, at least)

Makaveli_187
09-20-2008, 08:03 AM
A friend of mine signed up at the Edgemont location, and put my name down as a referral or somthing so I would get a free 2 week trial. I was thinking why not free trial, if I liked the gym, I would look into getting a membership. However, I live in the NE and this idiot trainer named Amin kept calling me, telling me I had to drive all the way out to Edgemont in order to activate my trial or some BS. To me it was obvious he was just gonna keep trying to lock me in long term so he could make some cash. I just passed it up, go to NESS, a small gym, it has everything you need to train. Just sucks, early in the evening cause it gets busy, but it is really cheap.

Godfuader
09-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by kaput
I was looking at the website for the YMCA yesterday and the prices seem reasonable. It's only $36/mo for students and they waive some initial fee for new members. You also get access to all four facilities if you don't buy from the South location which is great for me because I live right by crowfoot and work by eau claire. I'm really tempted to give them a call and ask a few questions. Maybe after finals. Does anyone know how busy the crowfoot location gets? And whats an articling student? It says they don't qualify for the discount rate.

http://www.ymcacalgary.org/general/membership.htm

I was at the Crowfoot Y till July. Decent facility, but stupidly busy between 5-8 with kids. I would only go at 10am or after 8pm. You need to give them your student id and a printout of your current timetable to prove you are a full time student.

swak
09-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Im a member of Golds, and the good thing about it is, you can use the membership anywhere you want.
Any golds across the world.

LKL
10-04-2008, 07:35 AM
I go to world health in richmond and didn't have a problem with my signup. I had one of the girls take me for a tour and told her I didn't do initiation fees. The owner came over and said w/e...

It kinda sucks you're stuck paying for however 1 year or 2 years, I don't agree with that. But all the other gyms in this area are garbage in comparison. I pay 50 a month.

I used to go to this small gym in cochrane, which was awesome. It took a long time to get used to the mammoth facilities common in calgary now...

GQBalla
10-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Golds ftw.

i pay 45 bucks a month and change, go to any one i want.

true it does get busy but only at 5 pm go at 6:30 pm and its fine.

Dumbass17
10-04-2008, 11:48 AM
FUCK whc

if you "win" a membership, you have to pay
and they give these to everyone that enters

Jerms
10-04-2008, 06:05 PM
YMCA