PDA

View Full Version : paint fading

accord
04-20-2005, 09:26 AM
hi guys

i saw a mr2 black who was interested me to buy but the paint was fading and i was wondering what will be the best thing to do. .the front and rear bumper are almost grey and the original color it s black..i dont want to repaint the car and i read a couple post about the cut and polish...if i do a cut and polish will this paint will be back as it was when it when out of the factory ???? i m talking about the full car and repaint the front and rear bumper . let me know what you guys will do for something like that.i m sorry bup i can put picture.

Redlyne_mr2
04-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Even with 59K on my car my red paint was doted and faded in some parts when i bought it. I used a cut and polish on it and it restored it to new. Use either 3m or zaino products.

thinmyster
04-20-2005, 01:33 PM
yeah i have the same problem. But i might end up just repainting!

bmeier
04-20-2005, 01:34 PM
it is hard to say without seeing the paint if it is restorable but a good cut and polish will definately make it better....

Personally i use a company called Personal Touch, Dave is the owner and i send him all my cars.... He is probably the best in Calgary. Anyways it doesnt cost too much to det it done professionally and believe you will notice a difference especially on a black car....

thinmyster
04-20-2005, 01:39 PM
some of my panels feel rough? what could that be from and how much does he charge? $$$

jvillain
04-20-2005, 06:35 PM
Some thing you see om MR2s all the time if they have been sold by a dealer is some one taking a buffer to the Turbo logo on the back and cutting through. If you get a buff job make sure they don't buff the logo it's self. Do it by hand if you have to.

bmeier
04-20-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by thinmyster
some of my panels feel rough? what could that be from and how much does he charge? $$$

Rough paint could be alot of things, so i could not really tell you. He is not cheap but honestly he works magic.

Last summer I payed him about $300 to do a car for me, I thought i was going to have to paint the car at first but he said he would see what he could do. Anyways $300 and 10 hours later the car was done and it looked brand new.

This thread has some pics of the car.
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60808&highlight=volvo

i dont have any before pics but the paint was trashed, miscolored, oxidized and generally horrible to look at. the work speaks for itself.

accord
04-21-2005, 09:56 PM
this is what i was talkinghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/accordsi/3e5ae534.jpg

bmeier
04-21-2005, 11:36 PM
the bumper looks like that Volvo i had, super oxidized. It could probably be fixed. If the price is right though you should buy that car looks like an 88 supercharged, those are pretty rare and hard to come by nowadays....

anyways how much are they asking for the car?

accord
04-22-2005, 10:27 AM
10 000 $

dj_Twin_turbo
04-22-2005, 11:44 AM
wow.

ten thousand dollars is a lot of money for a car that hasn't been looked after !

bmeier
04-22-2005, 12:44 PM
are you serious? i have an 89 SC that is mint condition in and out that i would sell for 10 000. I just rebuilt the motor and I have a garage full of spare parts, like trannys and superchargers etc...

Unless there is something special about this black one i would walk away....

PM me if your interested in mine though :)

dj_Twin_turbo
04-22-2005, 12:47 PM
I think he likes low KM vehicles.

He did show interest in mine, but the car has too many clicks :(

bmeier
04-22-2005, 12:51 PM
how many on yours DJ?

I have had this Sc for 5 years and i just found i out i have only put on 17 000 kms.... lol i spend more time working on it than driving it....

oh well i was not really planning on selling anyways but the offer out there because i have some other projects in mind :)

dj_Twin_turbo
04-22-2005, 02:06 PM
217ish now.

accord
04-22-2005, 05:49 PM
and if it s 9 000 $ for one who as 90 000 miles is it not to bad and he said the car as nothing to do to it....the car was bring from california and have no rust...should i walk away for this price because i will have to cut and polish the car couple thing..he doesn t want to put the mag 17 '' at this price.... or buy it...what will be the price for a car like this one...i will put more picture tonig oe tomorow...

dj-twin-turbo did you sell your car...???

Ek9Max
04-22-2005, 06:31 PM
it's cause our cars don't havea clear coat form teh factory...... :(

bmeier
04-22-2005, 06:54 PM
9 000 for one with 90 000 miles, first off that is not all that low KM anyways second do you really want to be driving a car in miles? Personally i hate not having KMs being dominant on the speedo dont know why i just do.

Secondly If the paint isn;t good for that much money i would walk away... DJs car is in alot better shape by the looks of it and KM are not really an issue.... you are going to be fixing/replacing parts anyways despite lower KM.

Not trying promote my car or anything but just compare the two. my car needs literally nothing has about 190 000 km and For about the same price my car has good paint and absolutely no rust my car has never seen snow.

I also in the last year have rebuilt the motor, new suspension (coilovers, struts bushings) I also would include brand new never used rims with new tires as well as the stock ones...

So to answer your question, i would walk away.
DJ's car is really nice and a bit cheaper and stock which is nice.

My car is immaculate but there are mods done to it.

Anyways yeah i would not buy it.

dj_Twin_turbo
04-23-2005, 01:25 AM
I have a buyer for my car willing to pay me $7000 next week, so it will be sold then unless someone offers me more.

accord
04-23-2005, 08:19 AM
cool that a good news for you....if it was full option i would buy it

accord
04-27-2005, 08:42 AM
i talk with the guy and he will sell me the car for 9 000 $ with the 17 " mag..i think i will buy it if everything is ok ( mecanique) here are some picture of it..the car is out of alberta but it will be here soon...in couple weeks..because this will be my first mr2 i will like someone who knows well this car can come with me to have a look at it....i read a lot of thing how to check the car but it s always better to have someone with you and knows mr2...look at those picture guys and tell me what you think of it...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/accordsi/mr23.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/accordsi/100_0321.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/accordsi/mr21.jpg

is this car by the picture look to be a good deal for a 88 sc ful option - leather...from california....90 000 miles....should have nothing to do past out of province inspection last summer..anyway i want to buy a mr2 and i want to find the right one....

thinmyster
04-27-2005, 09:38 AM
that seems like alot for $9000 and 90 000 miles is like 150 000kms-ish.. I think you could probably do better

GQBalla
04-27-2005, 11:10 AM
import one from the motherland of MR2

GQBalla
04-27-2005, 12:06 PM
import one from the motherland of MR2

bmeier
04-27-2005, 12:39 PM
like i said before, that is alot for an imported US mr2 with not really even low kms. But if that is what you want i could take a look at it for you

Zenshi
04-27-2005, 02:41 PM
Thats expensive!! O.O;
My MR2 + all the fun stuffs for my project costs about that much.
If you wait til summer come around, Im sure more mr2 will pop up... espically in BC if your looking to get one shipped... ^ ^;

Saw lots of MR2 better shape then that in BC for a lower price.

- Rick

accord
04-27-2005, 03:32 PM
i was thinking to buy it than do a cut and polish..does the cut and polish will bring it back like new or is it to late...you guys saying is too expensive but what is the price for a mr2 sc with 150 000 km and running strong..i think this is the only thing that car has bad...what the seller saying to me and whay i want someone who knows well the car ..but i m thinking if the car was so bad oxided it s because the guy who has it not rely take care of it.

bmeier i will apreciate your help..and the car will be at calgary in 2-3 weeks...

and about the jdm one i m not sure...it s scary to buy a car and pay 7-8 000 for it and have to do work on it...anyway there will be something to do to the car for sure...but i keep the option if the deal go a way...

someone of you have seen the mr2 sc the bmeier..i was thinking maybe to buy his one....

Zenshi
04-27-2005, 07:20 PM
Bmeier has a nice sc ^. ~. Very Nice :p

bmeier
04-27-2005, 08:56 PM
i will get some pics up somtime, i have just been super busy with school, work and my other cars :)