PDA

View Full Version : Street racers on Glenmore...

A790
04-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Saturday night I'm driving home at around 1:30 am and I get passed by probably eight cars doing at least 150 km/hr. Sure enough, the fuzz shows up and one of them is pulled over. Continuing my leasurely drive down Glenmore I find myself pulled over right by 68th street for... street racing?

Apparently I was following the group of kids (which would have been hard doing 80 km/hr) and he wants to give me a ticket with a mandatory court appearance.

I asked how he assumed it was me racing as I got pulled over at least 5 minutes after I passed them and he explained that he saw me "swerve into the right lane and accelerate to match their speed".

I explained to him that it was late, I just got off work, and that I was NOT street racing nor have I even taken my car above the speed limit. I explained that my turbo was gone and that my car probably couldn't reach a speed over 120 km/hr anyways.

He goes back into his cruiser for about 15 minutes, then comes back out and tells me that he's giving me a "serious warning." and that he's got me "on file and won't be so leniant next time".

I'm driving home and I figued I probably could phone in and claim harassment, but I was too effing tired to care. A big THUMBS DOWN to the dinks that whipped past me and the cop too.

finboy
04-20-2005, 12:31 PM
avoid foothills industrial on weekends, its a good way to get tickets.

QuasarCav
04-20-2005, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by finboy

:werd:

I was in the DQ area on Saturday night and the sound of fart-cans was in the air. The cops wont think twice about pulling you over, especially in a RHD car.

A790
04-20-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by finboy

I know, but its the shortest route home :(

sputnik
04-20-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

The cops wont think twice about pulling you over, especially in a RHD car.

:werd:

I wouldnt doubt that the JDM cars are going to be targetted everywhere at anytime.

Nalgene
04-20-2005, 02:07 PM
Good to know, I usually drive throught their on the way to my friends late at night
I would file that harrassment complaint

talonboi
04-20-2005, 04:52 PM
same thing happened to me. but the rcmp gave me a ticket for my exhaust, which im chopping off:D

izzoblitzo
04-20-2005, 05:01 PM
anytime someone drives a modified car, you're already a marked target. It just adds to the frey when idiots drive past you wanting to either race, or show you up.. then somehow, wether you meant to or not.. you were "street racing" with him. It sucks, but it comes with the territory.

It seems like, most luxury vehicles, sports cars, moddifed sport compacts are marked! It's time to whip out an old minivan and delivery truck to stay "low key" :D

Nalgene
04-20-2005, 05:21 PM
Im sorry but that is discrimination. Why are people now a days guilty until proven innocent? Didntt it used to be innocent till proven guilty?

vcteggy
04-20-2005, 05:30 PM
The same thing happened to my buddy's sister on John laurie. (lol who the hell would speed on jl) these two ricers were racing and they went around but the cops pulled her over for street racing and tried to give her a seatbelt ticket (she took it off while talking to cop)

finboy
04-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by izzoblitzo
anytime someone drives a modified car, you're already a marked target. It just adds to the frey when idiots drive past you wanting to either race, or show you up.. then somehow, wether you meant to or not.. you were "street racing" with him. It sucks, but it comes with the territory.

It seems like, most luxury vehicles, sports cars, moddifed sport compacts are marked! It's time to whip out an old minivan and delivery truck to stay "low key" :D

sleeper style > *
;)

colinderksen
04-20-2005, 07:19 PM
I had two morons almost crash into me and a few other people as well as a cement wall on Crowchild. Going 150+ swerving in and out of traffic. Some shit civic and some shit crv.

Nalgene
04-20-2005, 07:32 PM
Last summer I was driving down crowchild going south by the university turn off. Minding my own buisness this bike serves by me like im standing still. I mutter to myself "idiot" and continue on driving, thinking nothing of it.
I get over the bridge going over the river and go into the "s-type" curve it does before you get kinda near mount royal college (sorry dont know streets in Calgary very well) and I see skid marks...but only a single one... one not left by a car.
The road begins to straighten out and I see the bike smashed through the steel traffic barrier fence thingy and into the concrete wall...
The driver was lieing between the fence and the concrete barrier about 15 feet ahead of the bike.
I pulled over quickly and rushed to go see him...being one of the first on the scene who actually cared enough to stop. I peared over the fence...and he was messed up and not moving. I tried to talk to him with no response. This lady had stopped her SUV as well and said she knew first aid. So did I but I phoned 911. Emergency crews were already on their way and after moving my car outta the way for ambulance, police and fire crews I stayed on the scene until I wasnt needed anymore.
Im pretty sure that biker died that day.

I know this story isnt about ricer's speeding in their imports or street racers... but its just another lesson that speed kills.

Moe Man
04-20-2005, 10:48 PM
thats why i drive a family car :thumbsup:

lancer04
04-20-2005, 10:54 PM
yeah man I would call in for harassment, cops prolly wanted to check up on you cause of ur ride tho.

SilverBoost
04-21-2005, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by Moe Man
thats why i drive a family car :thumbsup:

You mean like my family car? :D

D. Dub
04-21-2005, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by lancer04
yeah man I would call in for harassment, cops prolly wanted to check up on you cause of ur ride tho.

Gimme a break.......:rolleyes:

Do you guys expect the cop to be omniscient? You were in the wrong place at the wrong time.......the cop didn't do anything wrong. I'm glad he pulled you over on the chance you were one of the racers.

If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck and has fart can that quacks like a duck......expect to be pulled over :D

Proyecto2000
04-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by SilverBoost

You mean like my family car? :D

lol 4 door Sentra's rule :P

Hey Steven :)

A790
04-21-2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by D. Dub

Gimme a break.......:rolleyes:

Do you guys expect the cop to be omniscient? You were in the wrong place at the wrong time.......the cop didn't do anything wrong. I'm glad he pulled you over on the chance you were one of the racers.

If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck and has fart can that quacks like a duck......expect to be pulled over :D

Only I don't have a fart can.

statick
04-21-2005, 12:19 PM
since u werent actually speeding, they cant do much can they?

wut kind of ticket did he want to give you.

A790
04-21-2005, 01:48 PM
Thats the thing... I wasn't speeding at all. Hell, I was even driving with my hands on 10 and 2 at the time.

He tried to give me a ticket for street racing.

Whatever. Next time some kids fly buy I'll throw mustard at them :)

dymz999
04-21-2005, 07:22 PM
Luckily i work in traffic court and know how to fight these sort of things now. Police officers have over stepped their bounds on me so many times because of my 240sx.

On a side note, if you get one of these tickets at night time you are royally screwd. Calgary police policy has two officers in each car at night time meaning one officer will always back the other's information, even when they lie and are biased as heck.

Problem is the police are very biased against import cars. not so much the younger cops but the older ones. They figure any car with a big muffler can be pulled over. I have first hand knowledge of this. I mean it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see it when you see them leave some 500hp mustang alone but pick on some 105hp civic because it has a muffler on it that is more than 2.0" in diameter.

Bones21
04-21-2005, 07:58 PM
yeah if you are around the foothils ind. at any time after 9 pm, expect to be watched very carefully. Usualy from about 9 to 12 is when the kids are ripping around in mommy and daddies lexus trying to prove something. It's just not a safe place to be.

CoryR6civic2
04-25-2005, 03:15 PM
yes i agree that ifyou are in a modded car you are a target, i am driving to school in my eg6 gsr it has flashy rims black and red, and i get pulled over.. the cop was like "do you know why i puuled you over?" i was like "no!" he was like "you were flying" i was like "nope" and he was like you were doing 60 km/h, i totally thought the speed limit was 70 so i was like isn't the speed lmit 70? and he was like 50! gave me a ticket for 104$ and told me nice car and kinda giggled and then walked away. that was the most pointless ticket ever considereing i could probally rip his doors off racing him! but yeah any ways that is true if your car is kinda modded your a big target exspecially for rookie dick cops:thumbsdow

Euro_Trash
04-25-2005, 03:35 PM
I got pulled over on my way to edmonton a while ago. It actually wasn't too bad, I was driving very early in the morning, no traffic, perfect visibilty, so I was going 160-170 the whole way, in a hurry for a final exam review I had paid for. Saw a cop coming from the other direction, didnt think he was going to dive through the ditch, but slowed to 140 anyways, he pulled a U-turn through the ditch, gave me a ticket for 130. Cool thing was he was really interested in my car, and he sat there for a few minutes asking questions about it and chatting.

sexualbanana
04-25-2005, 03:40 PM
I live right by the industrial area, and believe me. It is not fun to drive down Glenmore late at night. I've seen on numerous occasions where a big group of not-so-nice imports blazes by me.

Often enough, they seem to assume I'm heading their direction so they try to goad me into racing. I can see this out of the corner of my eye, but I don't pay any attention to them. I'm not gonna risk getting caught for a bunch of dumbasses. Not to mention that the police are well aware of guys like this, in that area, at that time. So it wouldn't surprise me to see a cop hiding somewhere.

You can say that driving a modified car makes you an automatic target of police. That's only partially true. Afterall, why do people modify their cars? To get more attention mostly. So is it really that big of a surprise that you also get more attention from police? Not really.

It's not just a matter of driving a modified car automatically gives police a reason to pull you over. That's just people looking for an excuse. It's also how you conduct yourself. I make a point not to drive irresponsibly, or even avoid areas where other "tuners" tend to hang out. Like I said before, I drive on Glenmore all the time heading to or from my house, and I've never had a problem with police.

A790: You've done nothing wrong, but in your case it was simply just wrong place, wrong time, wrong car. If I were a cop and saw a RHD car in the Foothills Industrial Area, late on a Saturday night, after seeing a group of modified imports race through, I would think Street Racer

vcteggy
04-25-2005, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
I live right by the industrial area, and believe me. It is not fun to drive down Glenmore late at night. I've seen on numerous occasions where a big group of not-so-nice imports blazes by me.

Often enough, they seem to assume I'm heading their direction so they try to goad me into racing. I can see this out of the corner of my eye, but I don't pay any attention to them. I'm not gonna risk getting caught for a bunch of dumbasses. Not to mention that the police are well aware of guys like this, in that area, at that time. So it wouldn't surprise me to see a cop hiding somewhere.

You can say that driving a modified car makes you an automatic target of police. That's only partially true. Afterall, why do people modify their cars? To get more attention mostly. So is it really that big of a surprise that you also get more attention from police? Not really.

It's not just a matter of driving a modified car automatically gives police a reason to pull you over. That's just people looking for an excuse. It's also how you conduct yourself. I make a point not to drive irresponsibly, or even avoid areas where other "tuners" tend to hang out. Like I said before, I drive on Glenmore all the time heading to or from my house, and I've never had a problem with police.

A790: You've done nothing wrong, but in your case it was simply just wrong place, wrong time, wrong car. If I were a cop and saw a RHD car in the Foothills Industrial Area, late on a Saturday night, after seeing a group of modified imports race through, I would think Street Racer

Well i hope to god you never get any position of power in our world. So if a black guy shot someone at a train station and you saw a black guy at a train station you would assume he's a killer...

habsfan
04-25-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by vcteggy
Well i hope to god you never get any position of power in our world. So if a black guy shot someone at a train station and you saw a black guy at a train station you would assume he's a killer...

ya slightly different situation here bud. like it or not, police watch for modified cars. its reality. you're little analogy is retarded in saying that racism is the same as police watching for modded cars.

vcteggy
04-25-2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by habsfan

ya slightly different situation here bud. like it or not, police watch for modified cars. its reality. you're little analogy is retarded in saying that racism is the same as police watching for modded cars.

my analogy has nothing to do with police, he said that if he saw street racers he would assume a guy with a modified car was a street racer, I'm just saying assumptions are bad

sexualbanana
04-25-2005, 11:05 PM

my analogy has nothing to do with police, he said that if he saw street racers he would assume a guy with a modified car was a street racer, I'm just saying assumptions are bad

I get the same assumptions myself. Neighborhood kids think I'm a street racer. Am I? Absolutely not? Do I race? Yes, at Race City. Like it or not, modified car owners do get stereotyped as street racers.

In your analogy you forgot time and place. If I saw a group of black people in a neighborhood that has a reputation for group beatings by black people. Would I assume they are? Most likely. If I saw a group of white people in a neighborhood with a reputation for group beatings by white people. Would I assume they're a gang? Most likely.

If I saw a modified car in an area that has a reputation for being a favorite spot for street racers, would I assume them to be street racers? Most likely.

vcteggy
04-25-2005, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

I get the same assumptions myself. Neighborhood kids think I'm a street racer. Am I? Absolutely not? Do I race? Yes, at Race City. Like it or not, modified car owners do get stereotyped as street racers.

In your analogy you forgot time and place. If I saw a group of black people in a neighborhood that has a reputation for group beatings by black people. Would I assume they are? Most likely. If I saw a group of white people in a neighborhood with a reputation for group beatings by white people. Would I assume they're a gang? Most likely.

If I saw a modified car in an area that has a reputation for being a favorite spot for street racers, would I assume them to be street racers? Most likely.

meh atleast you said most likely and not yes i would asumme, we are making progress already

sexualbanana
04-25-2005, 11:15 PM

meh atleast you said most likely and not yes i would asumme, we are making progress already

WHEN did I ever say that absolutely all modified cars are street racers, and all groups of people (black or white) are all gangs?? Never. So you can take this so called "progress" and shove it up your ass.

But seriously, I never did say definitively that all modified cars are street racers.

Therefore, your assumption that we made progress is bad because you assumed that my saying 'most likely' was your work. When in fact, there was never any statement made by me that says ALL modified cars are street racers.

vcteggy
04-25-2005, 11:17 PM
damn, I just assumed I lost this argument

sexualbanana
04-25-2005, 11:32 PM
damn, I just assumed I lost this argument

lol.

vcteggy
04-25-2005, 11:35 PM
whatever i'll win someday, tommorow i'll think it over and comeback, but I concede for now :guns: