PDA

View Full Version : Wanting info on NSX

Matt @ Skye Service
04-20-2005, 12:21 PM
As everyone must know by now, im quite new to the importing scene. Im trying to gather info on various cars so that I may pass on knowlegable advice. I need some info on the NSX, I have mainly only heard bad things about this car and I would like some advice from the beyond crowd. I have heard things such as that V-TEC use oil, that they are really slow, that they handle bad, and at 100,000kms the engine needs a rebuild. Are these things true? Please help me with some insight on these cars, and also if you people can, give me any facts that you may have on the car.

A790
04-20-2005, 12:26 PM
The NSX is an amazing handling car, even morso considering its age. The 276HP V6 engine propells the car along quite nicely.

VTEC doesn't use oil by design. If the car hasn't been maintained properly and it burns oil, that's because of the neglect on the owners part.

An Engine rebuild at 100k? Maybe if it was beaten to shit, but I don't see any reason otherwise. Last I heard the engine was reliable... hence the amazing resale on these things.

Matt @ Skye Service
04-20-2005, 12:28 PM
Sweet, that is definatly re assuring? did they come is turbo or super charged?

A790
04-20-2005, 12:29 PM
They are normally aspirated. Honda got a LOT of power out of those things.

Matt @ Skye Service
04-20-2005, 12:29 PM
How hard to turbo?

A790
04-20-2005, 12:30 PM
That I couldn't tell you.

You could probably get a custom setup done for you. Ask legendboy...

And I'm sure there are kits for it out there too. Just look, google etc. till you find something you like.

Matt @ Skye Service
04-20-2005, 12:31 PM
Sweet, I really apreciate the advice thank you.

QuasarCav
04-20-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by A790
The NSX is an amazing handling car, even morso considering its age. The 276HP V6 engine propells the car along quite nicely.

VTEC doesn't use oil by design. If the car hasn't been maintained properly and it burns oil, that's because of the neglect on the owners part.

An Engine rebuild at 100k? Maybe if it was beaten to shit, but I don't see any reason otherwise. Last I heard the engine was reliable... hence the amazing resale on these things.

VTEC doesn't use oil by design but if you visit the high side of the tach alot than you will burn oil. Newer 2.2 preludes sometime go through a quart an oil change and that is nothing to worry about.

The NSX isn't a balls to the wall sports car like a corvette or camaro, it's more of a sports touring car. It can hang with the big boys in the corners but It lacks straight line speed (if that's your thing). I think the design and interior are beautiful and it may cost more than a comparable car but you get what you pay for and in this case it's acura reliability and good power from a 3.2.

Darkane
04-20-2005, 01:35 PM
If your smart with any Vtec engine and keep it under the big lobe RPMS it will last forever.. But we tend to dip into the right sie of the Tach but Honda motors will outlive most dogs :thumbsup:

rc2002
04-20-2005, 01:42 PM
Other than the price, I don't see many downsides with the NSX. The body is aluminum so it will never rust and it's able to keep decent resale even for models that are 10 years old and older.

habsfan
04-20-2005, 01:42 PM
i wouldnt really saw the nsx is slow in a straight line either, the newer ones(after honda/acura upped the hp) 0-60 times are usually in mid to low 5 secs and mid 13s 1/4 in most magazine tests.

QuasarCav
04-20-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by habsfan
i wouldnt really saw the nsx is slow in a straight line either, the newer ones(after honda/acura upped the hp) 0-60 times are usually in mid to low 5 secs and mid 13s 1/4 in most magazine tests.

For 100K USD, for 50K you can have a corvette that does it on 4 sec.

It's quick by any means but compared to a more traditional sports car it's slower.

86max
04-20-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Other than the price, I don't see many downsides with the NSX. The body is aluminum so it will never rust and it's able to keep decent resale even for models that are 10 years old and older.

$7000 quarter panels are a downside of the aluminum body ;)

habsfan
04-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

For 100K USD, for 50K you can have a corvette that does it on 4 sec.

It's quick by any means but compared to a more traditional sports car it's slower.

totally agree, i've always thought the NSX was a horrid waste of money.

ex1z7
04-20-2005, 02:38 PM

:werd: :werd: Nice lookin' car, but whats the point of spending the amount of money on one when you can get better for less..Much less..

That.Guy.S30
04-20-2005, 04:40 PM
my cuzin had a nsx. 1991, completely stock with an exception of a hks air intake. it handles amazingly for its age. the car is light, so it is not slow at any means. it is very low though. the ride is a little rough. and the engine does not need a rebuild at 100, 000km maybe a tune up though.

there are turbo/supercharger kits for the nsx mounted at the rear. i forogt what brand it was .

finboy
04-20-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by 86max

$7000 quarter panels are a downside of the aluminum body ;)

and very few body shops in town who can work on them

BerserkerCatSplat
04-20-2005, 10:17 PM
Yeah, NSX's are nice to look at, and I'm sure they handle fine... but the drawbacks of owning one far outweight the benefits, IMO. NSX parts aren't easy to come by - if you break it, you'd better have a beater handy. That winter beater could quickly become your all-season beater. Bodywork costs an arm and a leg, and I'd be pretty choked to pay $7000/panel. Not to mention that the labour costs involved with an exotic are insane.

Really, if you're hard-up for an exotic, don't waste a tenth of a million dollars on a car with under 300 hp. Go with something more practucal and powerful. My personal vote would be to wait for the new Shelby Mustang, but that's just me. If you're really hankering for an import, I'd say go European.

A790
04-20-2005, 10:20 PM
I think he's importing one from Japan...

Matt @ Skye Service
04-21-2005, 02:14 AM
Yeah and even tho I am in the iporting biz, there cost is not low at all.

me&you
04-21-2005, 11:08 AM
For someone who is a "professional", you have A LOT to learn about your product. I mean no offense by this, just that in business, it's always better to stick with what you know. I mean, if you don't even know that the NSX is NA, you might want to learn more before investing a somewhat substantial amount of cash in one.

The NSX is bullet-proof. No engine rebuilds required if the car is maintained. There are plenty running around down south with 200,000 MILES! At 90k, you will need to have (had) the T-belt done and the water pump replaced, otherwise, nothing major. The only issues on the NSX pertain to the early cars. One being the Snap ring and the other being the power window regulators. FWIW, you might have been thinking about the RX7, where 100k engine rebuilds aren't rare.

The only expensive part about the NSX is body work (and the initial entry fee). DO NOT buy an NSX that has had ANY frame work. Think of an aluminum can; bend it once and no matter how close you come to returning it to it's original shape, it will never be the same.

Common mods include a supercharging and suspension work. Try Comptech USA for more info.

Finally, for a definitive info source on the NSX, go here: www.nsxprime.com

98GS400
04-21-2005, 11:15 AM
^^^ What he said..

For some more info you can always hit up NSX Prime, probably the best forum for NSX related talk. They have a pretty nice FAQ section, and the forums are really helpful as well.

FAQ: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/faq.htm
Site: http://www.nsxprime.com/
Forums: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/

Hope this helps..:thumbsup:

JordanEG6
04-21-2005, 11:25 AM

:werd: x2 the NSX is a nice car, no doubt. but for 142 000, i have better ways of spending my money. you can can something alot cheaper that is just as good. but i guess when it comes to the NSX, its all about personal preference....if you have the money of coarse. but personally, i wouldnt buy one.

rockym20
04-21-2005, 01:00 PM
Its not hard to get an NSX up to 450+ HP. Just adding a set of headers, exhaust and an intake can add more than 30 HP. Add on a supercharger and look out. A new NSX is way overpriced. However, if you can find a good used one (you can sometimes find them for less than $40K) and spend another $5K-$10K on mods, you can turn it into a rocket.

That.Guy.S30
04-21-2005, 01:04 PM
^^

he is buying a used one. which would never run 142 grand. more like 30-60g's depending on which generation. and if hes importing one it should cost even less then 30g's, which would mean it would have to be a first gen 1990/1991 nsx.

That.Guy.S30
04-21-2005, 01:04 PM
damn beat me to it rocky

Matt @ Skye Service
04-21-2005, 11:49 PM
TO--------->Me&You
I guess because im in the business im supposed to know everything!

me&you
04-22-2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Matt @ Skye Service
TO--------->Me&You
I guess because im in the business im supposed to know everything!

Like I said, I meant no offense. It's just that I know (from a bad experience) that in business, you should always have a good handle on what you are dealing with. At least you asked questions before jumping in, and for that, thumbs up. Did you check out Prime? Great info there! Take twenty minutes and read the FAQ section and you will gain NSX knowledge exponentially.