PDA

View Full Version : New Car

Nalgene
04-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Hi im looking to buy a new car.
The maximum im willing to go is around 10k. I would like a car that is not seen at every Wal Mart. :tongue: A "unique car"
I perfer imports and would like to buy a newer-used, at least a car that would be more likely to pass an out of province inspection if I purchased it in BC. I wont buy an automatic, only a manual.
I have been looking at a 96-99 Mitsubishi Eclipse but I am unsure of their reliabilty. Also im 6'5" so im not sure if I would fit into one.
If its posisble I wouldnt mind...
-sunroof
-air conditioning
-keyless entry
The keyless entry could be installed aftermarket I guess. Looking to buy sometime in the next 4 months.
Thanx in advance, any comment is helpful. This to me (a 19 year old) is a big purchase and I want to do it right.
:D

Nalgene
04-20-2005, 04:27 PM
bump
Anyone?:confused:

shakalaka
04-20-2005, 04:34 PM
Well you can check out one of those import people. I am sure they have some cars that aren't "walmart" cars. Try www.importconcern.ca They have some cars on their right now, and if you ask them they can import a car of your choice for you. I have seen some skyline's and silvias' on the website before. If anything other than import and for that price range. Chances are their will be quite a few of whatever car you will look at.

statick
04-20-2005, 04:38 PM
giv it time man...

anyway, a decent choice is an integra gsr 94+ model...reliable, somewhat quick, potential for more speed, fwd = better for winter than rwd.

wut things are important to u in a car? speed? lxury? reliability? winter drivability?

kaput
04-20-2005, 04:41 PM

Nalgene
04-20-2005, 05:16 PM
Yeah thats what im finding. Especially since im looking at an Eclipse... the selection in Calgary is really crappy. And althought I know its kinda impractical I kinda like the Eclipse Spyder (the covertable)
Im 6'5" (as I said) and ive read reviews that its a really small car. Im worried about that.
Also maybe I should have been more specific. I dont want to import from another country (well another province, but thats not the point... ) I meant I dont want a domestic brand like GMC, Chevrolet, Chyrsler etc. Im looking for Mitsubishi, Honda, Mazda, Nissan etc.

Things important to me in a car... (in no particular order)
-winter driving
-gas mileage
-looks
-quick (I like the feel of acceleration)
-reliability and relativly low cost to maintain

I know I am patient, but its gonna be my first car and im excited. If I find a car that I like I will probably take out a small loan and buy it so I can have some fun summer driving. :D
Thanx for the input

kaput
04-20-2005, 05:25 PM

Nalgene
04-20-2005, 05:46 PM
What kind of veichle are you buying?

Also as a side note AWD or 4WD or w/e doesnt matter to me. I drove my Dads Mazda 3 all this winter, and my moms 92 Corolla Wagon the last 2 winters, both are FWD. Maybe im missing something here but I am perfectly fine with FWD. Never had an acident or mishap either.

Good luck with your purchase.

kaput
04-20-2005, 05:50 PM

euro_racer
04-20-2005, 06:03 PM
nissan sentra se-r spec v:thumbsup:

gpomp
04-20-2005, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by euro_racer
nissan sentra se-r spec v:thumbsup:

Originally posted by Nalgene
The maximum im willing to go is around 10k.

lastprodigy
04-20-2005, 08:23 PM
save a little more!

Nalgene
04-20-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy
save a little more! '
why do you say that?

CryoCarnage
04-21-2005, 04:58 PM
if you want somethign unique, get a Suzuki swift :thumbsup: iheard those are quick. No seriously tho yeha like everyone else is saying wait. the right deal will pop up. Anyway if you dont care about drivetrains and you like eclipses, import one frm America, theyre relitively cheap there due to the amount of cars in there market. Just mu $.02

Nalgene
04-21-2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by CryoCarnage
if you want somethign unique, get a Suzuki swift :thumbsup: iheard those are quick. No seriously tho yeha like everyone else is saying wait. the right deal will pop up. Anyway if you dont care about drivetrains and you like eclipses, import one frm America, theyre relitively cheap there due to the amount of cars in there market. Just mu $.02
That is a possibilty.
Why do you say "if you dont care about drive trains"?
Do Mitsubishis have bad drive trains?

90Tegra
04-21-2005, 06:29 PM
try to find a gsr teg 1990-1993 and spend money on that:drool:

Nalgene
04-22-2005, 03:18 AM
I have been looking at the 1997-1996 MX-6's, 240sx's, Integra's etc
I really like all of them especially the Integra and the 240. Only thing is the 240 is RWD and I dont think that would be a wise choice for Calgary winters :thumbsdow I wouldnt mind a new gen RSX, Celica, Prelude etc but they are out of my price range.
However the Integra is starting to grow on me the more I research it. Seems alot of people on these forums have Honda or Acura cars.
I really like the reputation of Honda based veichles (reliability) and the gas mileage is good. Also the 96 Integra's seem to be around $8-8.5k and that is well within my budget. May even allow some summer rims, deck, sub and exhaust to go on :D
(dont worry I will never put any body kits, aftermarket lights etc. I like my car's to look stock with some slight mods to them to make them stand out and be unique)

Anyways the search continues.

jizzajames
04-22-2005, 03:44 AM
sounds like you have no idea what car you want. you think that other peoples opinion matters to what car you "should like". but for your first car you want to "do it right"??? here's doing it right for you.......... buy a car that suits you, not anyone else, and the conditions that it it will be drivin in. all people have different opinions, and the only one that should matter is your own. if you want a pink neon, with fake roof scoop and a supra wing, then get it. that's all that matters. good luck with your hunting. find something you like.

on a side note, my car will be up for sale shortly, seems to fit most of your requirements, looks stock with minor additions, acceleration factor, fwd, good mileage, sunroof, keyless entry, and will be quite less than your max spending. think about it.
pm me if you'd like to know more.

heavyD
04-22-2005, 08:10 AM
That is a possibilty.

No. The 4G63 is one of the best 4-cyl engines ever made. It was designed in the 80's and is still in use (many design upgrades over the years of course) in the Lancer EVOIII that makes almost 300HP reliably & smooth from only 2.0L. The transmissions (1G & 2G) aren't Honda smooth but they are durable unless used repeatedly at the track as AWD dragging is hard on trannys.

If you are looking at the Eclipse Spyder it's not that small at all. 1G cars are a little small but Spyders started in 2G's which are larger. 2G Eclipses (actually all DSM's) are based of the Galant platform which is a mid-sized car compared to say the Integra which is based on the Civic compact-car platform.

I've had no problems with either of my DSM's (spun rod bearing in Eclipse due to bad ebay valve cover) but I also know how to take care of a car. A Civic or Integra will be easier to take care of than any turbocharged vehicle so if you are looking for a car that you can just drive and not worry about periodic maintenance I would recommend a Honda. 240's are okay but they are one of the worst import cars for rusting out and aren't the best in snow. MX6 is a decent car (same car as Ford Probe GT) with it's little V6 if you can find one in good shape.

If you want to do it right my advise is to do some research, look at as many cars as you can and don't rush, be patient and try to find a bone stock car that just feels right for you. I've seen alot of modded cars that were done poorly and cheaply especially modded turbo cars.

CryoCarnage
04-22-2005, 09:22 AM

That is a possibilty.

Nah i menat drivetrains as in FF/AWD/FR/RR/MR or whatever else there is. But if you dont want any transmission work to do, dont get a dsm or a Mitsu 3kgt. Unles you want to rebuild the tranny every 10 miles :rolleyes:

heavyD
04-22-2005, 09:36 AM

Nah i menat drivetrains as in FF/AWD/FR/RR/MR or whatever else there is. But if you dont want any transmission work to do, dont get a dsm or a Mitsu 3kgt. Unles you want to rebuild the tranny every 10 miles :rolleyes:

Just drove 10 miles on my 13 year old tranny today. Still working fine but I know how to drive a manual, maybe CryoCarnage can only drive automatics.:poosie:

Nalgene
04-22-2005, 03:57 PM
First off I am going to get the car that I want. I am just exploring every angle and option there is. These forums have a wealth of information and I would like to tap into some information.
I do have a general idea of what kind of car I want, just not a fir decsion. However it is early in the process and I have enough time. I will continue to do research.
All the help and comments are really appreciated. Thanx

Jaxx
04-22-2005, 04:20 PM
Just go out and drive a few cars....someone can tell you what the best car is out there and then you might go out and drive it and hate it......

Please don't rice out an Integra with a fart can exhaust if you do get one. That is not being unique

Skyline_Addict
04-22-2005, 04:22 PM
if you want something that's reliable, good in winter, good gas mileage....get a honda.

if you want something with some decent kick, try looking for a 4th generation Prelude SR-V. might be hard to find a good one under 10k though. otherwise, Integra GS or GS-R will do, the GS being cheaper and much easier to find.

Nalgene
04-22-2005, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
if you want something that's reliable, good in winter, good gas mileage....get a honda.

if you want something with some decent kick, try looking for a 4th generation Prelude SR-V. might be hard to find a good one under 10k though. otherwise, Integra GS or GS-R will do, the GS being cheaper and much easier to find.
I was lookign at a 4th gen prelude...but they are like 13k at least. As you said that is out of my price range.
If I purchase an integra I am 95% sure it will be a GS. A GS-R has a turbo right?

Originally posted by Jaxx
Just go out and drive a few cars....someone can tell you what the best car is out there and then you might go out and drive it and hate it......

Please don't rice out an Integra with a fart can exhaust if you do get one. That is not being unique
I dunno. A greddy exhaust is probably what ill put on. I really like the sound it produces.
Also yeah i agree with you. I have to go out a test drive one of these weekends. Ill probably end up visiting alot of lots. Hot Wheels Auto looks promising.

jaysas_63
04-22-2005, 05:40 PM

I was lookign at a 4th gen prelude...but they are like 13k at least. As you said that is out of my price range.
If I purchase an integra I am 95% sure it will be a GS. A GS-R has a turbo right?

I dunno. A greddy exhaust is probably what ill put on. I really like the sound it produces.
Also yeah i agree with you. I have to go out a test drive one of these weekends. Ill probably end up visiting alot of lots. Hot Wheels Auto looks promising.

no, GS-R has the V-tec engine

CryoCarnage
04-23-2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Just drove 10 miles on my 13 year old tranny today. Still working fine but I know how to drive a manual, maybe CryoCarnage can only drive automatics.:poosie:
:whipped: :whipped: :whipped: :whipped: :whipped:
heh funny low blow... but nevertheless untrue

heavyD
04-23-2005, 12:28 PM

:whipped: :whipped: :whipped: :whipped: :whipped:
heh funny low blow... but nevertheless untrue

Untrue about what? You can't drive a manual transmission or DSM transmissions only last 10 miles? If you say both you have proved you ignorance in front of everyone in text. Choose wisely.:drama: