PDA

View Full Version : History help

shakalaka
04-20-2005, 07:00 PM
Well I need some help for my History topic. I read quite a lot of material for this, but for some reason I am unsatisfied. So just give me your opinions/ideas/ views about the following topic, if you guys know anything. Also if you guys can find any links or anything on the net that relate or help me with this topic, it would be greatly appreciated. Maybe some of you people took history in the past or taking it, can help me as well. Its not really a general topic, but i thought might as well give it a shot. Someone might know something interesting/important.
Topic is

"The processes by which slavery came to an end in Brazil and the United States were fundamentally similar. Agree or disagree." In your answer, be sure to trace the ending of slavery from its most remote relevant origins to final abolition and to consider who, or which groups or factors, were most instrumental in freeing the slaves in these two countries.

Thanks for all the help in advance guys.

shakalaka
04-21-2005, 01:13 PM
Calling out all the smart people!!!!
Any help is great guys!
thanks

Weapon_R
04-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Joaquim Nabuco = Abraham Lincoln

Brazil adopted the enancipation proclamation.

Argue that they were similar.

shakalaka
04-23-2005, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Joaquim Nabuco = Abraham Lincoln

Brazil adopted the enancipation proclamation.

Argue that they were similar.

You think so? Thats what I was thinking to do. I am almost done reading the book on End of Slavery in America. I pretty much have an idea how it started and all. Thats pretty much what I need for the essay anywyas. I should be starting the notes on End of slavery in Brazil soon. After that I will prolly have a much clearer idea.

shakalaka
04-25-2005, 02:38 PM
any more ideas/suggestioons???

Weapon_R
04-25-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka

You think so? Thats what I was thinking to do. I am almost done reading the book on End of Slavery in America. I pretty much have an idea how it started and all. Thats pretty much what I need for the essay anywyas. I should be starting the notes on End of slavery in Brazil soon. After that I will prolly have a much clearer idea.

Yes I think so. The most interesting papers take a controversial stand and develope it. To compare the two would almost be bold, but if you could do it well, you could get a good grade on the paper.

Lincoln was the president, and Nabuco was just a lawyer and citizen. But argue that is where their differences end. Argue that they shared a similar passion to extend the rights of the ruling class to the majority of the population. You should also mention that their motives for ending slavery were quite different.

Lincoln did not really care about black rights to the extent that most people think, its just that the North did not need them and his power base was concentrated there. Slavery is never a really efficient way of doing things anyways, so ending it would promote former slaves to working members of a highly developed northern United States.

Nabucos reasons I do not know, since i've rarely looked into the subject of slavery in Brazil.

shakalaka
04-25-2005, 05:25 PM
icc...thats cool.
Thanks for the response Weapon. I appreciate it. Got me some pointers.:thumbsup: