PDA

View Full Version : stuffed or unstuffed

VeilOctane
01-07-2003, 04:55 PM
hey is it true that a stuffed subox makes the sub sound like its in a bigger box???? whats the whole poing in stuffing your box???
and what do peeps use to stuff thier box with????

guitardemon
01-07-2003, 05:19 PM
fibreglass insulation some use news paper but it rattles, some even use blankets

Blue Devil 2
01-07-2003, 05:20 PM
i thought this was about pizza crust:dunno:

davidI
01-07-2003, 06:03 PM
you can also buy a bag of that fill stuff from fabric stores, it's basically the exact same as what they sell from car stereo shops.

legendboy
01-07-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Blue Devil 2
i thought this was about pizza crust:dunno:

I thought it was about girls :rofl:

D'z Nutz
01-07-2003, 08:37 PM
Yeah, the commercial (ie, $$$) stuff is called polyfill and is very similar to fibreglass insulation. Basically what it does is it's supposed to "fool" the sub into thinking the box is really bigger than it is by slowing down the sound waves in the box.

2000impreza
01-07-2003, 09:51 PM
polyfill helps if your running a small sealed box. i put pillow case stuffing in my current sub box... gives a softer sound. it really depends on your sub setup. if your box is already big it might cause your sub to sound too sloppy.

D'z Nutz
01-08-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
if your box is already big it might cause your sub to sound too sloppy.

To which you would put something solid (such as a brick or block of wood) to solve the problem. It's all about internal volume!

Fluidic
01-08-2003, 12:43 AM
So... if I have a custom box made for my particular subwoofer, in theory, I don't need this stuffing since the size and what not will be designed for my subwoofer?

Hmmm... so many questions... and so little time in a day... :o)

Peter

D'z Nutz
01-08-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
So... if I have a custom box made for my particular subwoofer, in theory, I don't need this stuffing since the size and what not will be designed for my subwoofer?

Hmmm... so many questions... and so little time in a day... :o)

Peter

Nope, not if the box is built to the specified internal volume required. You'd use it if, for example, your sub needed 1 cu.ft and you only had space for 0.5 cu.ft. Crame enough polyfill into it so that the sub thinks you actually have that whole cu. ft, when in actuality you have half. I can't remember exactly what the ratio is, but a certain amount of polyfill will substitue for a certain amount of actual space.

VeilOctane
01-08-2003, 01:51 AM
who knows the ratio for polyfill to cubic feet needed in a box???

D'z Nutz
01-08-2003, 02:46 AM
I think the general rule of thumb is 1 pound of polyfill for each cubic foot you're trying to add. I could be off though.

2000impreza
01-08-2003, 10:48 AM
i really don't think that is how it goes. you are only suppose to fill 1/3 of the box with polyfill at most. bottom line is if your box is too small then its too small, your internal volume is still the same. if you put too much in it will decrease the internal volume.

95acc
01-08-2003, 10:59 AM
Most of you guys are out to lunch on this. You wil NEVER gain .5 cubic feet by adding fill, the most you can expect to gain is .2 if you are lucky, Do NOT stuff the crap out of the box you will only hurt the performance of the driver, it needs room to breathe. Fill does not slow down anything, what it is doing is when the sub starts to move air it makes the fibers of the fill rub together and creates heat, what happens when air when it heats up?.....thats right it expands therefore making the air in the box more dense and then the subs see's a little bit bigger box. NEVER use fiberglass insulation the fibers will comes off and damage the driver. The best place to get fill is from a fabric store or Wal-mart, it is called polly-fill. Only stuff the box about 30% thats all you need.

2000impreza
01-08-2003, 11:08 AM
exactly... polyfill does not increase the internal volume of the sub box. if you put too much in, the volume will decrease not to mention it will sound like ass.

12V
01-09-2003, 01:21 AM
95 acc is right, maybe it's an installer thing?:dunno: