PDA

View Full Version : Japanese built Hondas

core_upt
04-20-2005, 09:41 PM
Which Honda's are actually built in Japan, as in what years and models?? Most 98-up honda's are now made in North America are they not (Odessey and Civic in Ontario I think)?

Anyone have any insight to this? For some reason I thought pre-1998 accords were built in Japan, same with all Preludes.

Xtrema
04-20-2005, 10:05 PM
Can't speak for ludes but other than during short supply, almost all NA Accords are American made.

BokCh0y
04-20-2005, 10:08 PM
i heard from a friend that if the serial number starts with "1" then's it's made in USA or Canada. My old Accord was 1HGC...... not %100 sure though, correct me if I'm wrong.

Seanith
04-20-2005, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
i heard from a friend that if the serial number starts with "1" then's it's made in USA or Canada. My old Accord was 1HGC...... not %100 sure though, correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah if the initial # is 1 its made in the US i believe, and 2 is canada.

I don't know all the cars, but i know that Integras and RSX's are all made in japan. Their vin numbers start with 'J'

oh yeah, NSX is made in japan as well, and i'm sure the same goes with s2000s. I dont' know about accords/preludes. I know the really early ones had to be made in japan, but when the started being made in the US or canada someone else will have to chime in :)

buh_buh
04-20-2005, 10:52 PM
ludes were made in Japan

Hash_man
04-20-2005, 10:53 PM
oh yeah, NSX is made in japan as well, and i'm sure the same goes with s2000s. I dont' know about accords/preludes. I know the really early ones had to be made in japan, but when the started being made in the US or canada someone else will have to chime in

I believe it was with the 3rd generation accord 86-89 that the accords began being produced in the US... About 50% of them in north america were made in japan, and the rest here. I know that mine was made in the US.

And, Honda actually made coupe's here and sent them to japan.

Boostn
04-21-2005, 07:28 AM
Current Civics are made in US (2 door) and Canada (4 door), the last SiR (04) was made in England.

S2000s, CR-Vs, Insights are from Japan.

Accords, Elements are made in the US.

The Pilot is based off the MDX platform and made here in Canada,
Odyssey is made in Canada also. I think the new Ridgeline will be built here too.

The info above is for current models, I believe in the past a higher percentage of Hondas were Japanese made. All previous Preludes and Del Sols were Japan made as well.

The first digit in the VIN denotes country of origin, examples:
1, 4, 5 = US
2 = Canada
3= Mexico
J= Japan
W= Germany
K= Korea

heavyD
04-21-2005, 07:48 AM
My wife had a 98 Civic that was built in Japan as it had its serial number started with a J.

Seanith
04-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
My wife had a 98 Civic that was built in Japan as it had its serial number started with a J.

Was it a hatch? I would guess that the hatchbacks were made in Japan since due to the CTR, and the rest (coupe/sedan) were made in North America..

Its weird though, according to my service manual,
US Spec hatches seem to be made in canada,
US Spec sedans may have been manufactured in japan, usa, or canada
US spec coupes made in USA,
Canada Spec hatches made in canada,
Canada Spec sedans in the US
Canada spec coupes in the US

:nut: :nut: :nut:

heavyD
04-21-2005, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Seanith

Was it a hatch? I would guess that the hatchbacks were made in Japan since due to the CTR, and the rest (coupe/sedan) were made in North America..

Nope. 4-door sedan.

Seanith
04-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Seems right according to what I posted after then :D
Thats kind of weird that there would be 3 factories for type of civic

What I posted is according to 1996 though. It may have changed somewhat from 99-00.

90Tegra
04-21-2005, 06:34 PM
ok this is how it goes. they built their jdm engines and with the left overs make a usdm model engine and ship it down here. and everything else is built and put together in North America

menace3
04-21-2005, 09:12 PM
every parts of honda are from japan they just have to built it in northamerica