PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Hustle.

gggunit
04-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Anyone excited about this movie.... looks pretty sweet. check out the trailer and the site at

http://www.sonyclassics.com/kungfuhustle/index_en.php

Roger Ebert describes it as...

"Imagine a film where Jackie Chan and Buster Keaton meet Quentin Tarantino and Bugs Bunny. Yes that describes it nicely..."

thich
04-21-2005, 01:05 PM
I've seen it and I loved it! :thumbsup:

However, I dunno how it'll fair for those of you who are uninformed about Chinese martial arts stories. There's so many references to various martial arts styles that if you haven't seen the corresponding movie or read the corresponding novels, you won't have a clue what it is or it's relevance :P
Otherwise, if you just watch it and not care, then I think it's still a doubly fine and funny movie.

Stephen Chow made another hit with this one :thumbsup:

shakalaka
04-21-2005, 01:26 PM
Yea isnt this movie like old? I saw it a while ago, on one of my Asian friends laptop.

hjr
04-21-2005, 01:31 PM
it looks pretty good to me

Xtrema
04-21-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Yea isnt this movie like old? I saw it a while ago, on one of my Asian friends laptop.

Old as in 6 months old?

It's still pretty impressive that it hit American shore so quick.

buh_buh
04-21-2005, 01:42 PM
I saw it over xmas, thats when it came out.
It was ok, not as funny as I expected it to be, and probably worse if its going to be subtitled.

shakalaka
04-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Old as in 6 months old?

It's still pretty impressive that it hit American shore so quick.

O really? Just 6 months. For some reason I was thinking it was older then that.

Originally posted by buh_buh
I saw it over xmas, thats when it came out.
It was ok, not as funny as I expected it to be, and probably worse if its going to be subtitled.

Thats true. It was funny, just not as much. I like Shaolin Soccer one way better then this.

BumpinTalon
04-21-2005, 01:49 PM
I saw it and I loved it. it wasn't as funny as I thought it would be but the whole style of the movie was great and the fight scenes were awesome, probably some of the best I've seen lately, actually .. they actually make everybody seem super-human strong without the cheesy fake look that usually comes with that.

Ichigo
04-21-2005, 01:50 PM
I love Stephen Chow comedies..
Saw the movie and it was friggen hilarious.
But I'm not sure how his type of commedy will fare overseas..

saiyajin
04-21-2005, 01:54 PM
it came out in HK in december so not too old but i already own the movie hah :thumbsup:

WWJAI
04-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon
I saw it and I loved it. it wasn't as funny as I thought it would be but the whole style of the movie was great and the fight scenes were awesome, probably some of the best I've seen lately, actually .. they actually make everybody seem super-human strong without the cheesy fake look that usually comes with that.

same opinion...it definitely lacked alot of humour though:thumbsup:

ddmmak
04-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Yeah.. it came out I think Dec 24 in Asia. I saw it and it was awesome...

Skyline_Addict
04-21-2005, 03:39 PM
bah, i thought it was just plain silly.
but that wasn't unexpected.

Stratus_Power
04-21-2005, 04:00 PM
i didnt think it was LOL funny, but the fighting is definitly awesome, the scene with the two guys fighting with that.. chinese-piano thingy is just awesome

kiwi
04-21-2005, 04:11 PM
This movie was funny, but if it's gonna be dubbed or subtitled, it won't be as funny anymore, cuz the jokes & stuff just won't be the same.

Same as w/ Shaolin Soccer. I saw the original & the english dubbed version. The dubbed version had a lot of scenes cut out & the humor just wasn't the same.

Shaolin
04-21-2005, 07:50 PM
I didn't like it.. It was watchable but that was it.. I like the old stephen chow movies more.

gerrycurl21
04-21-2005, 09:07 PM
the funniest part is when stephen chow is laughing about the ice cream. Just the extended seconds of him laughing make it much more than a small laugh

Skyline_Addict
04-21-2005, 09:13 PM
nothing beats God of Gamblers.

jdmakkord
04-21-2005, 09:55 PM
I just picked up a copy today, guess I'll see how it is:)

buh_buh
04-21-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
nothing beats God of Gamblers. :werd:

except I think the Stephen Chow version was Saint of Gamblers.
Both were pretty good tho.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-21-2005, 10:05 PM
I saw it a while back, I thought it was really entertaining! Not the best movie ever, but it was very unique.

lam-boy
04-21-2005, 10:13 PM
haha i can't believe you guys didn't like this movie as much as me, its funny!

Xtrema
04-21-2005, 10:28 PM
It's not as funny or creative as his last movie. But the fight scenes are cool (but really, lot of it a taken from Matrix and sped up)

Humor will definitely be lost in translation but the visual comedy are still there. But if never born as a China/HK in the 70s, you probably won't understand the slump as much.

KLCC
04-22-2005, 06:07 AM
this movie isn't as funny as shaolin soccer IMO, I prefer the shaolin soccer over kung fu hustle...especially the karaoke gag in the Shaolin soccer I think is really funny.. This movie seems to be a bit more serious than other works he had, with people dying and such...somehow you just get a feeling you know what's the ending is likely going to be for all his movie... I had to say most of Chow sing sing's movie actually have pretty actresses.....I rather like the actress for this movie....the lolipop girl.

Xtrema
04-22-2005, 06:51 AM
^ But she's on for like 5 mins and gets no lines

KLCC
04-22-2005, 07:20 AM
Well, if you look back to the king of food? and shaolin soccer, he made all his actress defective in some nature...
in the king of food, the girl was an ugly butcher....and in shaolin soccer, the girl had Pimp/Acne problem....now with this movie, the girl can't talk....still it is the look not the voice ;)

ddmmak
04-22-2005, 01:40 PM
Yeah.. the girl was cute in this one... i think she is better than the one in Shaolin Soccer...:D

cloud7
04-25-2005, 01:24 PM
it was an ok movie... I actually went to Sunridge on the weekend to watch it just to support Stephen Chow's box office. The theatre was maybe 10% full, which was not unexpected. I think overall the people there enjoyed the movie... moments of unstoppable laugh were heard throughout the movie.

btw, the girl in the movie was cute.:)

AsianCaucasian
04-25-2005, 01:29 PM
I thought it was pretty dumb. It didn't really make me laugh at all, it just seemed plain... silly.

sputnik
04-25-2005, 01:52 PM
I saw Shaolin Soccer almost 4 years ago and liked it more than Kung Fu Hustle.

But then again. I might have just been laughing at the Engrish subtitles on the DVD my boss brought back from HK.

cycosis
04-27-2005, 01:44 PM
saw it last night and it was somewhat amusing

lancer04
05-02-2005, 01:56 AM
kung fu hustle is okay , I didn't really enjoy it as much as shaolin soccer

old stephen chow comedies are best though

tricky brains :thumbsup:

DarkDream
05-05-2005, 01:57 AM
The movie was okay.... The plot sucked.... wait a minute was there even a plot???? Some scenes were funny but not many....

Shaolin Soccer was definitly better...

cityhunter2501
05-05-2005, 07:30 AM
i enjoyed Kung Fu Hustle more than Shaolin Soccer, mainly because I was expecting Shaolin Soccer to be something like Captain Tsubasa