PDA

View Full Version : Almost 2 weeks with the SVT Focus..

fast95pony
01-07-2003, 06:47 PM
I love this car ! It's a great daily driver !! It's fun to drive, I've enjoyed the sun roof the last 2 days , the sound system is decent, and it handles pretty well. I've dusted a few Civic Si's too !!

I've had a few people ask me what it is .

It's not the quickest car out there by far, but it's a blast behind the wheel.

Tomorrow the door handle gets fixed. We won't talk about that little incident again though...:confused:

Alan

davidI
01-07-2003, 06:52 PM
That's awesome. I really like those cars. How many hp? I want to say 215 but I don't remember...

and it's a 6 speed right?

fast95pony
01-07-2003, 06:54 PM
170 hp / 145 lbs tq , 6 speed .

davidI
01-07-2003, 07:20 PM
cool, thanx. Have fun with it! Any future plans for her?

Hipermax_d
01-07-2003, 09:20 PM
thats pretty cool you got 6 speed

Ferio_vti
01-07-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony
I've dusted a few Civic Si's too !!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fast95pony
[B]170 hp / 145 lbs tq , 6 speed .

Haha, like beating Si's are difficult, they only putt around with 127hp. That and their driver's and they're big Vtec ego fills up the trunk

FiveFreshFish
01-07-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by davidI
That's awesome. I really like those cars. How many hp? I want to say 215 but I don't remember...

and it's a 6 speed right?

You're thinking of the European Focus RS with 213bhp/229tq.

atomic
02-25-2003, 01:43 PM
170 hp
getrag 6 speed
same block as the focus but angled for weight distribution and has variable timing .. 2 intake runners (short long) switch at 6,000 rpm .. long headers and high flow cat .. 2.5" exhaust .. over sized vented 4 wheel discs .. tight lowered suspension ... leather racing seats with safety lock adjustment wheels .. the list goes on ..

best bang for your buck :) ...

That.Guy.S30
02-25-2003, 01:47 PM
hah i have dusted civics and my jeep probably wieghs twice as much. anyways hows that car anyways? i was thinkin of getting one but then wandered off to the subaru dealership!

G
02-25-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Hipermax_d
thats pretty cool you got 6 speed

6speed is overhyped...how often would you ever be using it?

max_boost
02-25-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by G

What are the benefits of a close ratio 6speed opposed to a regular 5 speed? Been hearing stories of RSX/Celica owners dropping from 5th to reverse by accident and blowing their tranny/motor?:dunno:

atomic
02-25-2003, 01:57 PM
G: a "6" speed transmission doesn't neccesssssisiriarly mean you're adding another gear to go faster :) haha ..

in a 4 cylinder vehicle like the svt focus, the 6 speed is used to add more low end gearing ..

so what you end up having is more gears to keep the rpm in the optimal powerband ..

i may only have 170 hp stock, but with the 6 speed gearing, svt tuning and light curb weight .. i can definetly spank .. even more so from a moving start ..

you can see from my specs and mods that in the 4 motnhs i've owned the car, there is a lot more coming up :) .. however, this next mod i'm working on will take a bit longer then a few days .. i'll have more information in a few weeks ..

syeve
02-25-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by G

no. the gears are much more closed...in my six gear the rpm at 110kms/hr are the same as my old 5 speed...they just jam another gear in there basically.

BTW, how much for the SVT if you dont mind me asking?

G
02-25-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by atomic
G: a "6" speed transmission doesn't neccesssssisiriarly mean you're adding another gear to go faster :) haha ..

in a 4 cylinder vehicle like the svt focus, the 6 speed is used to add more low end gearing ..

so what you end up having is more gears to keep the rpm in the optimal powerband ..

i may only have 170 hp stock, but with the 6 speed gearing, svt tuning and light curb weight .. i can definetly spank .. even more so from a moving start ..

you can see from my specs and mods that in the 4 motnhs i've owned the car, there is a lot more coming up :) .. however, this next mod i'm working on will take a bit longer then a few days .. i'll have more information in a few weeks ..

I realized that the 6th gear isn't added for speed. It is more for fuel economy.

syeve
02-25-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Been hearing stories of RSX/Celica owners dropping from 5th to reverse by accident and blowing their tranny/motor?:dunno:

Possibly in a celica, but the RSX locks out reverse as soon at the car is moving...there is no way to get it into reverse from 5th.

max_boost
02-25-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by syeve

Possibly in a celica, but the RSX locks out reverse as soon at the car is moving...there is no way to get it into reverse from 5th.

Is that how it is on most cars? Ok now I understand......that has been something I've been worrying about since my next car will be 6 speed lol

I feel stupid:nut: :rofl:

syeve
02-25-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by G

I realized that the 6th gear isn't added for speed. It is more for fuel economy.

it is added for speed...at 110kms/hour in fifth my car is at like 4200 rpm. its a ver closed gear ratio...rpm drop very little in between shifts.

syeve
02-25-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Is that how it is on most cars? Ok now I understand......that has been something I've been worrying about since my next car will be 6 speed lol

I feel stupid:nut: :rofl:

dont feel stupid...it was the first question I asked th dealer...mmm...maybe we're both stupid.

atomic
02-25-2003, 02:17 PM
realized that the 6th gear isn't added for speed. It is more for fuel economy.

no no .. and yes yes ...

it's for everything .. and by everything i mean "control" .. we like our manual transmission to have control .. the 6 speed adds another level of control...

again, i had earlier stated that the 6 speed gearing allows you to keep the rpm in the optimal power band ..

i will explain in further detail ..

for example ill use the car i know best (my car) ..

the 02 svt focus has 170 hp @ 7,000 rpm .. the powerband starts at around 6,000 where the dual stage intake switches to the short runner ..

so there isa bout 1,200 rpm of optimal power between 6,000 and 7,200 (redline/auto fuel shut off)

in the 6 speed, each gear is about 1,000 rpm away from each other ..

so, when i shift from 1st to 2nd @ 7,200 rpm .. the rpm gauge drops to 6,200 .. which leaves me still in my 170 hp output ..

you see? where most cars are tuned to have a spike of torque and hp .. the variable timing and dual stage intake of the SVT Focus motor keeps a table of optimal output ..

so i may not have 300 hp .. but for an entire 1,200 rpm, i have 170 hp :) ...

now THAT is tuning .. we've been expirementing with many methods of extending that table into lower rpm's with air/fuel and lower rpm intake switching ..

we're still in the research phase .. lots of hardware and a few blown ECU computers in my car :) :P grrr ..

Hollywood
02-25-2003, 02:22 PM
I have had both like many others. And I prefer the 5 speed. At first I thought I liked the six speed better, but in my car 5 speed is better, less time swiching gears in a race.

But that's just me. 6 speed seems kinda a fad now. AUtomotive industry feels the need to change things up once in a while.

atomic
02-25-2003, 02:30 PM
hollywood: how can u say this?

i just explained the reasoning behind needing a 6 speed .. a 7 speed would be silly unless you add another gear (or it's sequential) ..

however, those of us with 4 cylinder vehicles _NEED_ 6 speed gearing .. if you want to "race" or go "fast" or have "control" or save "gas" etc .. you need more gearing ..

a 5 speed in any 4 cylinder vehicle will perform worse then a 6 speed .. this is not my opinion .. this is logical, rational fact .. don't make me pull ratio's and provide equations to proove my statement ..

you may prefer 5 speed, but a person in the same car with a 6 speed will be faster

G
02-25-2003, 02:36 PM

i just explained the reasoning behind needing a 6 speed .. a 7 speed would be silly unless you add another gear (or it's sequential) ..

however, those of us with 4 cylinder vehicles _NEED_ 6 speed gearing .. if you want to "race" or go "fast" or have "control" or save "gas" etc .. you need more gearing ..

a 5 speed in any 4 cylinder vehicle will perform worse then a 6 speed .. this is not my opinion .. this is logical, rational fact .. don't make me pull ratio's and provide equations to proove my statement ..

you may prefer 5 speed, but a person in the same car with a 6 speed will be faster

He is right....take a look at the chart....5 vs 6 Speed (http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/axle/5sp_vs_6sp.htm)

You will have a higher top speed but does it get you there faster with the extra gear?

atomic
02-25-2003, 02:44 PM
that chart isn't over time ..

i repeat myself, the 6 speed gearing will allow you to stay within the optimal powerband .. so rpm/acceleration is faster ..

you're speed will increase quicker in less time with a 6 speed

Hollywood
02-25-2003, 03:03 PM

Easy I make a few clicks on the mouse then type in some text!

Originally posted by G

He is right....take a look at the chart....5 vs 6 Speed (http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/axle/5sp_vs_6sp.htm)

You will have a higher top speed but does it get you there faster with the extra gear?

Chart means shit! That data is only good for that data. If you have a fast reving, turbo powerhouse 4 cyl, I will win with a 5 speed because that time it would take you to shift one more time than me in the 1/4 would superceed the differece of the optimal gearing.

Adding a sixth gear is altering the gearing, same as if someone changed there ratio's in a five speed if they wanted too. In a race chances are you will never see 5th gear in a five speed anyways so...

Plus with 6 speeds today they do not make them properly anyways. They design the gearing to make the 0-60mph in second gear so they get faster times for magazines. A truly designed 6 speed you would be shifting into 3rd before 60mph!

hinggu
02-25-2003, 03:03 PM
I don't know if 6 gears allows for quicker acceleration from a stop.
I think the 6th gear allows for better control and on the fly acceleration. I have 6 gears and my car sucks ass for the quarter mile...1st and 2nd are too short. But I do like the 6th gear, cuz it allows me to choose a better gear when exiting turns

RiCE-DaDDy
02-25-2003, 03:05 PM
im not sure bout goin in a straight line cuz some drag cars use 4 gears.

atomic
02-25-2003, 03:11 PM
haha .. who the heck wants to drag these street cars?

control and performance .. that's what i said .. and that's why rally cars all use 6 speed . that's why gt's use 6 speeds ..

the 6 speed has to be tuned also for the engine .. yes, a lot of company slam a 6 speed in a car for sales .. (ie civic) .. cars like the rsx, mini cooper s, and svt focus have custom gearing for the vehicle.

JustinL
02-25-2003, 03:23 PM
The old 911 turbos had a 4 speed tans to minimize turbo lag and hold the high boost for longer. I can't remember the exact number, but the top speed in first gear was ridiculous.

I guess the gearing really depends on the torque/power characteristics of the engine.

atomic
02-25-2003, 03:36 PM
justinl: yup .. u got it .. exactly what i've been saying ..

it's the vehicle itself has to be tuned entirely .. not just the engine or suspension ..

anyways, i think we've beaten this horse to death

Hollywood
02-25-2003, 04:20 PM
haha .. who the heck wants to drag these street cars?

control and performance .. that's what i said .. and that's why rally cars all use 6 speed . that's why gt's use 6 speeds ..

No....you said this, I see the words race and go fast, no mention of rally cars specifically;

anyways, i think we've beaten this horse to death

And I'm right so I win once again.:clap:

BTW welcome to beyond!:poosie:

Glowrider
02-25-2003, 04:22 PM
I've had a few people ask me what it is .

How could anyone mistake a Focus for anything else?

atomic
02-25-2003, 04:25 PM
argh .. yah hello to u too ..

you're wrong .. and will continue to live that way .. i think the only way to settle this is over beer &| scotch someday ..

Hollywood
02-25-2003, 06:32 PM
argh .. yah hello to u too ..

you're wrong .. and will continue to live that way .. i think the only way to settle this is over beer &| scotch someday ..

Hahaha ok! Maybe beer and tequila though....

BTW I like SVT focuses, I have seen a black one with tinted windows..it caught my eye.

P.S. I'm allways right, and no I'm not your wife.

fast95pony
02-25-2003, 07:35 PM
Jeez,this thread is still going ?? :)

Well, it's been 2 months now,and I really enjoy driving it.
I do find myself shifting quite a lot,but that's the fun of getting a manual tranny to start with. The car is not that quick off the line,but when the engine is on the boil,she moves very well.

Next time I'm off on a Wednesday night,I'll bring it out.

Alan

Hollywood
02-25-2003, 08:05 PM
Jeez,this thread is still going ?? :)

Well, it's been 2 months now,and I really enjoy driving it.
I do find myself shifting quite a lot,but that's the fun of getting a manual tranny to start with. The car is not that quick off the line,but when the engine is on the boil,she moves very well.

Next time I'm off on a Wednesday night,I'll bring it out.

Alan

Cool, do you secret street your stang too? I love the sound of a SC'd stang!

fast95pony
02-25-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood

Cool, do you secret street your stang too? I love the sound of a SC'd stang!

Yes, I do. I didn't get many chances last year due to work,
but I will try and go more this year.
I want to borrow some slicks and try for 12's.

Alan

Racin Ranger
02-25-2003, 10:24 PM
Hey stranger! :D

Since I broke your shift knob :confused:

How 'bout I lend you my slicks for an evening?

I promise I won't even ask to take it down the track :angel:

Trev

Hollywood
02-25-2003, 10:32 PM

Yes, I do. I didn't get many chances last year due to work,
but I will try and go more this year.
I want to borrow some slicks and try for 12's.

Alan

13.3 on drag radials or street tires?

With slicks you should be able to do 12's no prob, just might take a few launches to get used to the extra grip and what to set the PSI at.

EstoMax
02-25-2003, 10:33 PM
so basicallt CVT tranny would give u the best powerband/mileage right? since ur adding more gears.. but this way u dont shift anymore so.. yeh, ghetto

max

fast95pony
02-26-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Racin Ranger
Hey stranger! :D

Since I broke your shift knob :confused:

How 'bout I lend you my slicks for an evening?

I promise I won't even ask to take it down the track :angel:

Trev

Hi Trev!

Now that would be fun !! But I'll bet you would get a wayy better
time than me (again :( )

Hopefully I'll get some practice this year..:)

fast95pony
02-26-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Hollywood

13.3 on drag radials or street tires?

With slicks you should be able to do 12's no prob, just might take a few launches to get used to the extra grip and what to set the PSI at.

It was on DR's ...and Racin Ranger was driving it !

Yep, I need practice....
:nut: