PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Biking trails around town?

gggunit
04-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Hey Guys, just bought a bike nothing crazy.. just one form sportcheck about $200.. all I know is that it looks cool with all the shocks under the seat frame and the front wheel..

thought I would go out this year since the weathers getting nice around canmore, kanaskis.. somewhere different then city bike path recommend anything?

eblend
04-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Go out towards kananaskis, on the right side there will be a lake, not sure what is it, but its pretty close to nakiskas area..so basicly go until you see a lake on the right side...you might miss it as the turn is right before you see the lake, but there if u take a turn right just before the lake there is a little road and a parking area. Ditch the car there and take ur bike, go all the way accross the rocky area and then there is a long ass bike path there, well its more like a hiking patch but its long and winding and pretty wide. Goes all the way up to the top of the mountain. Now going up won't be very fun if u don't have the muscles, but going down would be a whole other story! can u say WEEEEEEEEEee! haha

if u want to check out someing around calgary, take 24th screen sw all the way to the end and u will hit fish greek park, around that area if u go down into the woods its awsome, offroad driving

gggunit
04-21-2005, 07:58 PM
^ cool ill check it out.

The Rider
04-26-2005, 05:22 PM
That's Barrier Lake eblend is talking about. Like he says, head south on highway 40 (highway to nakiska/fortress) and turn right into the parking lot which is on the north side of the lake. The trail up is Jewel pass which is long and tiring, followed by a couple minutes of hiking with your bike on your shoulder, but when you get to the top the view is awesome. To come back down, you actually descend a singletrack trail down the backside of the mountain. It's fun and twisty for a while and then you'll hit a junction where you turn left and take Prairie view trail. this trail is generally downhill and will eventually take you back around to the parking lot. There's a few convenient maps posted around there so it shouldn't be too hard to find your way. This is one of my favourite trails by far.
Here are some pictures from my last ride there last summer.

http://adventurealberta.tripod.com/pages/jewel/jewel.htm

I'll post a couple other areas to check out when I have more time.