PDA

View Full Version : damn semis

asp integra
04-21-2005, 08:57 PM
so i am driving on glenmore and passing a semi, its a super nice day so i have all the wondows down, anyways, as i pass the semi i hear the revs getting higher and BAM, the Bov from the turbo deisel destroys my ears, i could barely hear anything for a few mins, anyone else have this happen to them?

nismodrifter
04-21-2005, 09:08 PM
diesels don't have bov's so I will assume that you were on crack at the time.

illeagle
04-21-2005, 09:14 PM
You could hear my BOV from there?? i was pretty far behind you?? j/k..That 'BOV' was most likly the semi's air brakes.:burnout:

ninjak84
04-21-2005, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
diesels don't have bov's so I will assume that you were on crack at the time.

:rofl: nice one

ecstasy_civic
04-21-2005, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by illeagle
You could hear my BOV from there?? i was pretty far behind you?? j/k..That 'BOV' was most likly the semi's air brakes.:burnout:

:werd:

the jake baby:bigpimp: lol

good for scaring pedestrians:D

BerserkerCatSplat
04-21-2005, 11:41 PM
Hmm, to be that loud, gotta be the engine retarder brake...ouch!

ZMan2k2
04-22-2005, 06:09 AM
The 'jake brake' is a very different sound from an air pressure release. If it had a hissing sound to it, it was the excess pressure from the air system releasing.

Besides, the use of a 'jake brake' is illegal in the city, too loud, and it puts out alot of nasty unburnt exhaust.

JAYMEZ
04-22-2005, 10:01 AM
^^^ They use it all the damn time on the back road of westhills that leads onto Glenmore , it gets fuckin annoying...

AllGoNoShow
04-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Zman2k2 it may be illegal but it doesnt stop them from using it. Its illegal to speed aswell, look how many poeple still speed.

heavyD
04-22-2005, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
^^^ They use it all the damn time on the back road of westhills that leads onto Glenmore , it gets fuckin annoying...

So true. Unfortunately cops in this city would pull a person over for a loud ricey muffler on their Honda rather than hassle the truck drivers who make the real noise and spread large amounts of gravel/rocks (which are supposed to be brushed after being filled) on our roads.:thumbsdow

ecstasy_civic
04-22-2005, 11:41 AM
99.9% of the time if you hear a pressure release its when the truck has stopped or is stopping, not while driving, if he heard it while he was driving, its the jake.:thumbsup:

rc2002
04-22-2005, 12:03 PM
I always thought that the jake sounds more like a jackhammer than a pressure release...

As far as BOV's go, it's buses that you have to watch out for. :D

BerserkerCatSplat
04-22-2005, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Unfortunately cops in this city would pull a person over for a loud ricey muffler on their Honda rather than hassle the truck drivers who make the real noise

Well, that's probably because there's not a lot of Semi's racing out by the infamous Tim Hortons. ;)

In all seriousness, jake brakes are fucking annoying. I've never seen a semi get nailed for using it, but I'm still hoping they do.

ecstasy_civic
04-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSpl

Well, that's probably because there's not a lot of Semi's racing out by the infamous Tim Hortons. ;)

In all seriousness, jake brakes are fucking annoying. I've never seen a semi get nailed for using it, but I'm still hoping they do.

Ive been with drivers when they've been nailed in the city, the cops are always nice and could usually give a shit, its not like a speeding ticket or ricer ticket.

They just say you guys cant do that anymore, license reg. and then its done.

My dad owns 2 fairly large trucking companies and ive heard it all from A to Z, and to be perfectly honest, the Jake isnt that much louder then a chopper accelerating.

No, they shouldnt do it, but like someone else said, people shouldnt speed or do the things they do either.

I would rather see a cop nail someone for wreckless speeding and or doing a burnout or something then pull a driver over for droppin' the anchor:devil:

gorillam
04-22-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
I always thought that the jake sounds more like a jackhammer than a pressure release...

As far as BOV's go, it's buses that you have to watch out for. :D

posted by ecstasy_civic
99.9% of the time if you hear a pressure release its when the truck has stopped or is stopping, not while driving, if he heard it while he was driving, its the jake.

Alright richardchan2002 busses around here are diesel, there's no blow off valves on diesels, you just cant have them, if you put a bov on a diesel you're stupid :>. Research how they work.

As for the 99.9% um no, after the semi gets going and stopped using his brakes, the compressor will finishing filling the air tanks and the valve closes puring the line pressure just like on your compressor at home. That's what the loud pSSSSSSSSS is.

The truck with air/ride + air brakes typically have large compressor's / tanks and typically make a loud noice that might sound similar to a bov? not really....

The jake brake is not a pssssh air sound, it sound like a consistant backfire.

gorillam
04-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSpl

Man what about the pickup truck guys, the dodge cummins, ford powerstroke and duramax, 50% of those guys are running exhaust brakes and are fucking loud as hell... god damn annoying.

ecstasy_civic
04-22-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by gorillam

after the semi gets going and stopped using his brakes,.

ok now read what I wrote?

[i]you hear a pressure release its when the truck has stopped or is stopping[/B]

???? lol

Sorry, but ummm you basically just repeated me.

asp integra
04-22-2005, 04:51 PM
well i dunno what it was, sounded like a BOV but its probably that jake break thing, but i heard the noise right when he was high reving then changing into the next gear

jasonybu
04-22-2005, 07:55 PM
i drove truck for a year and a half and got pulled over twice for using the jake, first time warning, second time 65$, but i beat it in court. anyone want to know how?

theken
04-22-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
99.9% of the time if you hear a pressure release its when the truck has stopped or is stopping, not while driving, if he heard it while he was driving, its the jake.:thumbsup:
ok rong statement, you will hear the brakes when he is stopping true but it is not 99.9% of the time, there is a compressor on board which builds air pressure to use the brakes, the compressor kicks in when the air pressure drops 45 psi from when the compressor kicks out ex. to make more sense typical operating air pressure ranges from 90-125-145 ish psi, the governor will stop the compressor from building more air at 145psi the highest it should be, at this time the excess air will be expelled from the air dryer (which would be the bov noise) then whenever you use your brakes air pressure drops, so when 45 spi of air has been used the compressor will kick back in, so even if you are driving the compressor will be building air and the air dryer will blow the excess off, happens all the time.

also the jake brake is used in the city all the time, there is usually 3 stages to a jake, the lowest setting you can hear it but it is not that loud, it just helps in stop and go traffic it slows you down enough that you are not on and off the brakes all the time. the 3rd level is used on monster hills and is LOUD but not defining, the air horn is way louder.

paulsaddress5
04-22-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by jasonybu
i drove truck for a year and a half and got pulled over twice for using the jake, first time warning, second time 65$, but i beat it in court. anyone want to know how? enlighten us, how'd u beat it?

theken
04-22-2005, 09:21 PM
probably said his brakes failed and couldnt stop unless he used it

cman
04-22-2005, 09:41 PM
on crowchild this morning i experienced a similar noise. they are doing construction on sarcee and crowchild intersection so there are a lot of dump trucks there. anyways when i was passing one, right when he switched gears a VERY loud pssst sound occured.
didnt really sound like a BOV, maybe thats what you heard?
i have no idea what it is though.

nismodrifter
04-22-2005, 09:44 PM
does anyone have a sound clip of a jake so most of the guys in this thread can be set straight. Jake sound is unique, can't be mistaken for anything. I'm actually installing one on my TDI next week...stay tuned....