PDA

View Full Version : bmw tools

jasonybu
04-22-2005, 07:44 PM
im going to buy a bmw 5 series (E36) just wondering if anyone knows of any tools i should buy to do simple maintenance. ie;oil changes,radiator flushing,spark plugs. do i need anything special?

AllGoNoShow
04-22-2005, 08:09 PM
Oil changes, you need a filter, a hand *maybe 2* and whatever size wrench for your drain plug.

Rad Flush, unless you like your driveway/garage smelling like dead fish I would just get someone else to do it, for the mess/hassle it is, it isnt worth it. If you insist, you need some new fluid, a water hose, a few fingers to remove the drain plug, maybe a T for your rad line at the bottom of the rad, you then cycle the water through the engine while its running and it will flush the old fluid out, then you add new fluid (50/50 mix with water and fluid), basically, pay someone else to do it unless you insist on learning it.

Spark plugs, whatever size socket your plugs are, a wrench, maybe an extender, and a hand.

What else would you want to change? Plug wires, all you need is a hand for that.

Air filter you may want to learn to do yourself. Get whatever you need to take the box/filter unit off, may that be a ratchet with socket or screw driver, depends on car, and just learn to open it up.