PDA

View Full Version : Question About Audio

Makaveli_187
04-23-2005, 02:55 PM
i have two 12inch alpine type r subs, single voice coil, and i bought the rockford amp p8002, it is a 2 channel amp, but i was told it would be better if i got a mono block amp instead, wat would your ppls opinions be, cuz then i think i might end up exchanging amps. i was told i can get it to go louder with a mono block.

thanks in advance.

BumpinTalon
04-23-2005, 03:08 PM
it doesn't matter if an amp is a monoblock or two channel, it's all about the wattage... wrong forum too btw. 800 watts monoblock is equal to 800 watts multichannel, how the power is made is different but without gettin technical... it does not matter one bit

HuMz
04-23-2005, 03:19 PM
the p2002 is a great amp no need to change it, but yes having a mono amp will run more efficiently

n8 d o dubz
04-23-2005, 06:28 PM
either one will work as long as it can handle the ohm load mono amps are designed for subwoofers only though and are a little more efficient because they cut off the high notes and have subsonic filters to cut out the parts ur subs cant play and concentrates the power on your bass

Makaveli_187
04-23-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by HuMz
the p2002 is a great amp no need to change it, but yes having a mono amp will run more efficiently

either one will work as long as it can handle the ohm load mono amps are designed for subwoofers only though and are a little more efficient because they cut off the high notes and have subsonic filters to cut out the parts ur subs cant play and concentrates the power on your bass

so the 2 of u would suggest the mono amp over the 2 channel?

Makaveli_187
04-23-2005, 07:50 PM
another question, the type r 12inch subs i have are single voice coil, not dual, does could someone explain to me wat the difference is and watt the rms wattage is on a single voice coil alpine type r 12inch is.
thanks in advance.

SteveMo600
04-23-2005, 08:13 PM
A monoblock and a 2 channel will not perform the same. If you're running subwoofers then I would STRONGLY suggest getting a monoblock amp. It will run more efficienty and it is designed to run subwoofers that need a lot of power. 2/3/4 channel amps are all designed to run component or coacial. I'm not saying that it won't work or won't sound good, but if you have the choice, it's a no brainer. My STRONG opinion is to return that amp and buy a solid monoblock amp that is 2 ohm stable.

Check specs for the model of your Type R on the net. You should be able to find the info no problem. Wire the subs to 2 ohms. This involves wiring the amp to one sub, and then from one sub to the other. If you need detailed wiring options check in the manual of your amp or sub, or on www.installdr.com

BumpinTalon
04-23-2005, 08:26 PM
there are a lot of premium amplifiers out there that are 2 channel... for instance, the US Amps 2000X is two channels, produces upwards of 3,000 watts in some installs, and is a total sound quality amp that is pretty highly sought after.. the original run of them still sell for over $600usd used missing covers and stuff.
really, through subwoofers, you will never notice a difference between two amps. what comes out the terminals is the same signal... under 200Hz the difference is not obvious. it is above 200Hz the differences become obvious (really, really obvious). a multichannel amp will maintain clarity here, but mono amps don't have any lifes in the highs, can't even play above 300Hz in a lot of cases.
the real differences for subwoofer amplifications is the increased efficiency of mono amps. The technology used in them is way more efficient so in other terms, it takes less current from your battery to make the same amount of power as a multichannel amp. this is why mono amps are usually a lot of watts. what this means, is that your lights will dim less and it won't drain your battery as fast, meaning it can maintain the same output and sound quality levels for longer then a multichannel amp (if you haven't upgraded your alt).

if you got the amp, keep it. next time you go shoppin, might as well get a monoblock, especially if you want to get an amp any bigger then that one.

n8 d o dubz
04-23-2005, 08:28 PM
i think all type rs are dual whats the model number if it ends in d its dual and the second last number is the ohms so swr-1241d is a dual 4 ohm sub. go for mono but if theyre dual 4s a 2 ohm stable amp will only let u wire one coil each halfing the output. type r 12s if theyre the older ones can handle 300rms each 1000w max but i know theyll take more of a beating than that my 15s say only up to 1000rms and i juice them at 1800 and they eat it up

BumpinTalon
04-23-2005, 08:33 PM
dude just because amp is hooked up to put out 1,800 watts does not mean your Type Rs are handlin it.. if you aren't hearing distortion, they sure as hell aren't. I could drive a 5 watt tweeter off two SPL amps bridged together at 8,000 watts and not blow it, but does that make its RMS power handling 8k watts? no.

if you've got two Dual 4 ohm Type Rs, you can hook them up at either:
1 x 4 ohm load
1 x 1 ohm load
2 x 2 ohm load
2 x 8 ohm load
1 x 4 & 2 x 2 work great with 2-channel amps like the one you've got. 1 x 1 works great with some monoblocks. 2 x 8 ohm works great if you've got an amplifier from 1988 that isn't even 4 ohm stable (don't bother).
if you've got two Dual 2 ohm Type Rs, you can hook them up at either:
1 x 2 ohm load
1 x 0.5 ohm load
2 x 1 ohm load
2 x 4 ohm load
the 1 x 2 ohm load works great with a lot of monoblocks. 1 x 0.5 ohm load does not work with a lot of monoblocks... you need a very specific kind of amp to run that kind of load, usually only competition SPL amps or really really expensive (TRU or Zapco amps) are stable to that kind of load. 2 x 1 ohm load works with only a few 2 channel amps or two mono amps (not really worth it) and 2 x 4 works with any 2 channel amp, but you will probably only be running it at half power .

really I can go on and on about this...

SteveMo600
04-23-2005, 08:34 PM
I'm not saying that there aren't quality multi-channel amplifiers out there. There are some 4 channel amps that can pound a pair of woofers very well. I just think that in this guys situation, he should be running a small little 300RMS or so monoblock amp. His subs are only single VC (Type R's can be single voice coils) and it doesn't sound like he's incredibly concerned with SQ as of yet.

My suggestion is still to get a small, efficient, yet powerful monoblock amp and run the two subs off of it.

BumpinTalon
04-23-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by SteveMo600
My suggestion is still to get a small, efficient, yet powerful monoblock amp and run the two subs off of it.

I completely agree with that... even a 500 watt monoblock would get great SPL and save his battery & alternator a lot of trouble.

Makaveli_187
04-24-2005, 01:28 AM
thanks a lot for your opinions, unfortunately i ordered the rockford p8002, and i would have to call rockford on monday n hope that they didnt ship it off yet, so i can get them to change it. but thanks again for all your guys help.