PDA

View Full Version : 300ZX Reliability

DannyO
04-24-2005, 04:36 AM
Well I'm in the market to get another car, and I'm looking at some of my favourites, one of which is a 89 Fairlady Z Twin Turbo, my question is, how reliable are they?, I know Toyota are good, but have heard some bad things about the TT and the cost of repaires, would I be better off with a NA 300zx?, as I've found a couple I'm interested in, and am not really bothered about the power difference, but mor is always better and TT would be fun.

jaysas_63
04-24-2005, 11:31 AM
well its not a toyota, the 300's are nissans......

they are pretty impractical as all season cars, and are better kept for summer cars, they are also relatively expensive to maintain, keep in mind that these were fairly expensive cars rolling outta the factory.....

and when u think about it a TT driven like fuck for almost 16 yrs is obviously ganna show quite a bit of wear, especially on those turbos.....

hope that helped:thumbsup:

schurchill39
04-24-2005, 11:34 AM
when you said toyota i think you were thinking of the MR2. IMO the 300zx/fairlady Z's are nicer then the MR2.

DannyO
04-24-2005, 12:58 PM
Sorry guys I did mean Nissan, I posted that at 4:30 last night I wasn't thinking too straight.

I was looking at a 300ZX that said it was in great condition and had never been raced, so if that is true the engine should be pretty good, but I just don't want a car that might have problems often and need expensive parts, everycars need to be serviced and have things replaced now and then, I just don't want a car that will have many problems and cost me a shitload.

Weapon_R
04-24-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by DannyO
I just don't want a car that might have problems often and need expensive parts, everycars need to be serviced and have things replaced now and then

Then a 300zx is not for you.

DannyO
04-24-2005, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Then a 300zx is not for you.

:( , Crap

Weapon_R
04-24-2005, 01:33 PM
You've got to remember that you are looking at a car that is over 17 years old. No matter what the companies tell you, there will be some problems with it. 300zx parts are neither cheap, nor is working on the VG engine an easy task. In fact, it's probably the most difficult engine I can think of to do any work to. That means more labour, meaning more money. Not to mention that the 300zx is a premier sports coupe that will cost more than your average Honda to service.

CryoCarnage
04-24-2005, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
You've got to remember that you are looking at a car that is over 17 years old. No matter what the companies tell you, there will be some problems with it. 300zx parts are neither cheap, nor is working on the VG engine an easy task. In fact, it's probably the most difficult engine I can think of to do any work to. That means more labour, meaning more money. Not to mention that the 300zx is a premier sports coupe that will cost more than your average Honda to service.

Either that or the 3s-GTE in the Alltrac's. Tight tight tight engine bay. the 5s-fe was bad enough...

joegrang
04-25-2005, 09:19 AM
Just to give u and idea.. most repairs will run in the 400- 700 dollar range. If you can do the work yourself that number drops in half. for timing belt and stuff expect about 800 or so bux. They are fairly reliable cars if maintained properly and babied. ie oil and belts done. But everyone here is right.. they are 15 yr old cars and eventually no matter how well things are made they eventually fall apart from wear and tear. But if you do find one that is in good shape and can afford a yearly maint of prolly 1-2 K you can afford this car..

Jaxx
04-26-2005, 12:07 AM
Like it was stated above, the 300ZX's engine bay is extremely cramped....

CalgarySupra
04-26-2005, 01:27 AM
I have owned a 93 non turbo supra and a 94 NON turbo 300zx

both needed an engine, the supra in 2001, the nissan in 2002 the 2jz-ge cost only about $650 , (jdm) that was the average price and was a straight through install, there was a lot of room for the shop to work on it. The shop just charged me $500 flat to put it in.

The 300zx, we needed a non turbo engine, finally found one the price was 4800, the shop went crazy (they hate nissians) they like toyota and honda. there was VERY VERY little room to work with, parts cost an arm and a leg. Relaiblity is not nissian, remmeber they are much smaller then GM or toyota so parts and quality is down too.

It took so long to sell. The supra sold in 2 weeks (for 18k in spring 2001) while the nissian fiinally sold in 2003 for 10L in august 2003 they bought at hte same time, both with around 80k km

thats my honest unbiased opinion, even the the 300zx looks really nice it has its problems.