PDA

View Full Version : Disc Jockey

Fluidic
04-24-2005, 09:42 PM
I have an interest in becoming a DJ. I love music. I want to spin great songs at clubs.

Tell me how. Where. Tell me with what.

I need all the info I can get. Fill me in. If you have a few words of advice, I would like to hear from you. Anything is something. Right now, I download music and listen to it. I have a MASSIVE inspiration to make music and to "shift" the way the party is headin, I love that feeling. Tell me more!!!

Thanks

DannyO
04-24-2005, 09:55 PM
Umm, well if you wanna DJ, get about 1500 bux to buy some good gear and some records, then start practicing and come back in about 2 years, sorry to sound harsh, but its just alot of people seem to think its nice and easy and you'd be in a club in no time, but if you want to read up a ton of stuff on DJing and find out about equipment, then check out www.recess.co.uk for info on how to learn what DJin is about, and also check out the DJ Booth in the Forums at www.tranceaddict.com , be sure to use the search button as pretty much any questions you have right now HAVE already been answered there.

Good luck man, DJing is a VERY expensive hobby that takes up basically all your spare time (if you wanna pick it up at a decent speed) and although its easy to get the grasp of it, it takes years to master it.

EDIT: also if you plan to make music and make a career out of this, your basically looking at shitloads of money for things, and really all your spare time for the next few years, then hopefully you will get a lucky break and can actually make good money from this, not trying to destroy any dreams you have, just letting you know that this is not an easy road to take.

Fluidic
04-24-2005, 10:09 PM
This is all valuable information. If you are the only one to respond to this post, then I thank you -- this is great information.

I have money to spend and time to burn. That is not an issue. I'm prepared. I'm the young grasshopper.

jaysas_63
04-24-2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by DannyO
Umm, well if you wanna DJ, get about 1500 bux to buy some good gear and some records, then start practicing and come back in about 2 years, sorry to sound harsh, but its just alot of people seem to think its nice and easy and you'd be in a club in no time, but if you want to read up a ton of stuff on DJing and find out about equipment, then check out www.recess.co.uk for info on how to learn what DJin is about, and also check out the DJ Booth in the Forums at www.tranceaddict.com , be sure to use the search button as pretty much any questions you have right now HAVE already been answered there.

Good luck man, DJing is a VERY expensive hobby that takes up basically all your spare time (if you wanna pick it up at a decent speed) and although its easy to get the grasp of it, it takes years to master it.

EDIT: also if you plan to make music and make a career out of this, your basically looking at shitloads of money for things, and really all your spare time for the next few years, then hopefully you will get a lucky break and can actually make good money from this, not trying to destroy any dreams you have, just letting you know that this is not an easy road to take.

wow great site :www.recess.co.uk :thumbsup:

DannyO
04-24-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Fluidic
This is all valuable information. If you are the only one to respond to this post, then I thank you -- this is great information.

I have money to spend and time to burn. That is not an issue. I'm prepared. I'm the young grasshopper.

No problem man, if you have any questions then feel free to ask, I just try and make it clear to people first of all that its not some quick way to become rich or famous, if they don't care then there already on the right track, from the sounds of it you want to do this because you do ACTUALLY just wanna DJ, which is good, now its just time to get the gear and start learning.

DJ Lazy
04-25-2005, 05:55 PM

I just try and make it clear to people first of all that its not some quick way to become rich or famous,

Couldn't agree more!

if they don't care then there already on the right track,

I think you meant, " if they don't care then there already on the wrong track. "

Nice to see another apsiring individual getting sucked down into the dark realm of DJing and the addiction that it becomes. :devil:

Good Luck Fluidic! :thumbsup:

DannyO
04-25-2005, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

I think you meant, " if they don't care then there already on the wrong track. "

haha, actually I said what I wanted to say, but I guess it came out wrong, what I mean is, if you don't care about becoming rich and famous then there on the right track, if there lucky and become big in the future, good for them, consider it a MASSIVE bonus.

DJ Lazy
04-25-2005, 06:01 PM

haha, actually I said what I wanted to say, but I guess it came out wrong, what I mean is, if you don't care about becoming rich and famous then there on the right track, if there lucky and become big in the future, good for them, consider it a MASSIVE bonus.

haha I guess that comment works both ways depending how you read it.. :nut:

little_wan
04-25-2005, 08:08 PM
Here are some things i think you should think about

1.) think about what style you love the most (house, trance, dnb, top 40, whatever). You have to LOVE what you spin because DJ'ing is a very patient process. From learning how to do it to getting gigs.
2.) Make the right connections. Introduce yourself to the right people and keep in contact with them so they know who you are, and eventually a gig will be thrown your way
3.) Buy the right equipment the first time. Don't waste money on crappy headphones or turntables with no torque.
4.) Its a lot easier to be noticed if you STICK to one style and make a reputation for yourself by spinning that style.
5.) Don't develop an ego. DJ's are nothing without the hype that people give you so be friendly and you'll get a lot furthur.
6.) Go to mystical 3 on may 28th cause all the cool people are doing it

Fluidic
04-25-2005, 08:13 PM
I'm not in anything for the money. At least those aren't my intentions when starting or learning something new. I would be super interested in just working with someone who is a DJ here in Calgary. Even if it's loading shit in and out of a van before and after a set, I want to do SOMETHING related to DJing. Experience is everything, and for me, that's the best way to learn. If I'm submerged into a particular culture, I absorb it like water in a thirsty athlete!

DannyO
04-25-2005, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by little_wan
Here are some things i think you should think about

1.) think about what style you love the most (house, trance, dnb, top 40, whatever). You have to LOVE what you spin because DJ'ing is a very patient process. From learning how to do it to getting gigs.
2.) Make the right connections. Introduce yourself to the right people and keep in contact with them so they know who you are, and eventually a gig will be thrown your way
3.) Buy the right equipment the first time. Don't waste money on crappy headphones or turntables with no torque.
4.) Its a lot easier to be noticed if you STICK to one style and make a reputation for yourself by spinning that style.
5.) Don't develop an ego. DJ's are nothing without the hype that people give you so be friendly and you'll get a lot furthur.
6.) Go to mystical 3 on may 28th cause all the cool people are doing it

+1 on that.

Fluidic, just wondering, what type of music you wanna spin?

DJ Lazy
04-25-2005, 10:11 PM
Support some of the DJ based clubnights aswell.

Like Thirsty Thursdays @ Sambuca Lounge.

www.areyouthirsty.ca

The DJ's are great guys. Wicked atmosphere.

If you are interested in some decent equipment, look into Techinics 1200MKII turntables (look for used ones), unless you want brand new.

Good mixers would be the PCV275, Numark DXM06 (or 03, has no effect unit). Needles, well you can just get a set of Shure needles, M44G's or SC35's. They will work for starting out.

You will also need speakers, cables, and an amp if the speakers aren't self powered.

Might be worth your time to cruise down to AXE music some day and check out there DJ section, talk to Bryn (if he is in).

If you are serious toss up more questions, or PM.

little_wan
04-25-2005, 10:12 PM
I'm not in anything for the money. At least those aren't my intentions when starting or learning something new. I would be super interested in just working with someone who is a DJ here in Calgary. Even if it's loading shit in and out of a van before and after a set, I want to do SOMETHING related to DJing. Experience is everything, and for me, that's the best way to learn. If I'm submerged into a particular culture, I absorb it like water in a thirsty athlete!

you are MORE than welcome to help me set up shit at my parties :clap:

Fluidic
04-25-2005, 10:58 PM
Fluidic, just wondering, what type of music you wanna spin?

This is going to sound terrible. But I'm not sure how to answer that question. I totally enjoy music by Benny Benassi, Felix Da House Cat, Armin Van Buren and Paul Van Dyck. I love new sounding beats that totally get the dance floor jumping, I’m just not down with the “lingo” and what not, and I am totally not familiar with the categories of music that DJ’s work with.

Fluidic
04-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by little_wan

you are MORE than welcome to help me set up shit at my parties :clap:

Hey dude... PM me the details!! Thanks!

DJ Lazy
04-25-2005, 11:17 PM

I totally enjoy music by Benny Benassi, Felix Da House Cat, Armin Van Buren and Paul Van Dyck.

Sounds like you prefer Straight-up House, and two forms of Trance, AVB is more Melodic Trance, and PVD is more, well a large mix. haha.

House music seems to go over well with the crowds in Calgary (along with the harder stuff).

Fluidic
04-27-2005, 02:18 PM
That sounds about right. I really enjoy all type(s) of music. As far as I'm concerned, the artist is just telling a story, and it's up to me to listen, not judge. IMO of course.

As for equiptment -- I'm looking for some high quality gear that won't let me down in the future. What are some high quality brands that I should check out? Should I start with records or should I work with CD's? Thanks for the information gentlemen!

DannyO
04-27-2005, 09:42 PM
Well, for equipment, you gotta first decide if you want to go CD, Vinyl or Both, I'd suggest Vinyl at first, IMO its more fun to spin than CD, plus if your looking to play out, you won't get hassled for having vinyl, with CD, if its burnt, the club owner will not be impressed and it could get you into alot of trouble, but if you buy your CDs then you got nothing to worry about, the benefits to these media formats are basically,

CD: cheaper, easier to carry, can do great things with if you got a good CD DJ deck.

Vinyl: feel, hassle-free at clubs, more fun IMO, actually have access to the latest tunes, thats right 85% of the time, all the great house/trance tunes that come out, come on vinyl first.

If money is not a problem (and I don't think it is for you, seen some of your posts:D ), for Vinyl you should look at getting Technic 1200mk2 turntables, it doesn't matter on what version, aslong as they are the 1200 or 1210, these are just very solid decks, rarely have problems, there a 30 year old design, but THEY WORK, and thats the most important thing, there are a couple other decks that are as good, but I'd still recommend these, so 2 of those should run you about 1400 new or 800 second hand, as for mixers, look into the newely released Ecler Nuo3, its just come out and is based on the Nuo5 mixer which is an amazing peice of gear, the Nuo3 is just a simpler version, and you don't want a bunch of other shit and confusing things on a mixer when your learning, after many months or years of learning on this gear you will then ready to sell the Ecler for a good price and then buy some serious gear, your turntables you can keep as they already are perfect, for needles, look at some of the higher end Shures, like the M44G, or Whitelabel, or you could go for some Ortofon Concordes if you got money to blow, as for headphones, these are personal preference, what works for me, might not be good for you, but I can tell you the ones to check out, then you can make your decision.

Sony V6 (sometimes called V600, these I recommend)
Sony V700 (the standard, but not that great)
Pioneer HDJ1000 (good but are prone to breaking, like the V700)
Sennheiser HD280 (amazing, but are fuck ugly, who cares though)
Sennheiser HD25 (are amazing, but are not for everyone due to there ear killing loudness)
these all run in between 160-350 dollars depending on what you get and where you get them from.

If you decide to go the CD route, or just want to include CD aswell as vinyl, then look into ones such as the new CDJ-200, or the CDJ-800 (this one I'd recommend, due to its easy to control), or if you got money to blow, look into the CDJ-1000mk2, also Denon make some good ones like the S3000 and S5000, but if your gonna play out, you should probably go for Pioneer as there the standard in clubs, plus IMO have a easier to control interface for cueing up your music.

Umm thats about it, there is a shitload more I should be telling you, but my mind is in another place, I'll add more when I can, or you could just add me to MSN if you have it, [email protected]

DJ Lazy
04-27-2005, 10:19 PM
I think ^^ my partner in crime covered everything.. sooo :werd: :rofl: :rofl:

jaysas_63
04-27-2005, 11:24 PM
i know this is a very newbish Q but anyways:

so other than scratching what else can a couple of turntables and mixer do for u.....like how does a DJ go about remixing music other than scratching....or is the DJ setup more or less just a means to play the music that is on the vinyl....

Shoebox//Racer
04-27-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63

so other than scratching what else can a couple of turntables and mixer do for u.....like how does a DJ go about remixing music other than scratching....or is the DJ setup more or less just a means to play the music that is on the vinyl....

hmmmm looks like you'll have to come and find out for yourself on may 28th :drama: :thumbsup:

DannyO
04-28-2005, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by jaysas_63

Well when your mixing, your really trying to turn a whole bunch of tracks into one long track, a good DJ will mix tunes and make it so you never know when one track has ended and the other begins as they all flow into each other so well, another thing some DJs do, and I like to do now and then, is if you know your records well, you will know what tracks go well with others, and some of them go REALLY well, I have records that when I mix in, instead of waiting till near the end of the track, I bring in about 1/3 of the way threw, so you kinda layer 2 tracks together making them sound new/remixed, when you mix from one track to another this is called a transition, and when your good you can make these transitions sound like another new track, so when your only actually playing 2 records one after the other, it actually sounds like you played 3 in a row, but this is hard to do with trance music as trance is more active in a way threw the music, with so many different sounds happening, if you layer loads up, they end up sounding like crap.

Techno on the other hand due to its style and sound, is great to mix, as not a whole lot happens usually threw the tracks, and for this reason, you can start layering them up, and can have like 7 turntables playing music all at once, kinda like this..

turntable1 playing bass
turntable2 playing drums
turntable3 playing snare
turntable4 playing hi hats
turntable5 playing vocal
and so on

You then use the mixer to tweak the sounds to your liking to make all the tracks blend with each other, and so you end up making something new.

Scratch DJs and Mixing DJs are very different as you can now see, mixin DJs are about layering sounds to make new tracks and/or playing tracks and making them blend into each other to sound like one and create a mood, and scratch DJs are about taking sounds from the record and actually manipulating the sound to there liking by moving the record back and forth at various speeds, they also use the faders alot on mixers, mainly the crossfader to kinda start and stop the sound of the scratch coming from the vinyl, you can see in these two pictures the differences between the Scratch DJs mixer, and a Mixing DJs mixer.

Top Notch Scratch DJ Mixer:
http://www.music-town.de/onlineshop/bilder/dj/ranettm56.jpg

Top Notch Mixing DJ Mixer:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Newp/2003/Xone-92-sm.jpg

As you can see, due to the scratch DJs style of spinning, they have no real need for multiply channels and loads of EQs (most use 2 channel mixers, but you still get scratch DJs that want more to there mixers for various reasons), then you look at a mixing DJs mixer, it has 3 EQs per channel (mostly 3 or 4 channels) to tweak the sound for better blending, plus various other things to create/edit/effect sounds.

This is typically the difference between the two DJs, but this is all about music, and music has no laws, if you want to do both, then you can (and many do), you pick and choose what you wanna do and how you wanna do it, and this way you will make your own style.

Well that concludes todays lesson, I need sleep.

DJDD
06-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Hey Girl!

Great information is being passed on to you from these guys - only one other thing that you should really know before you start! Buy your music! One thing that I truly believe that us DJ's are doing is promoting the artists that we're playing! Not only will the venue not be impressed if you're using burnt music, but there are people being sent out to shows to crack down on the use of burnt music - especially if we're being "paid" to play it. That's what makes it illegal - making money off the music that is downloaded and not paid for is illegal and you'd be taking a huge risk if you don't have the right licensing to do so! I personaly also think that if we want to promote the artists and use their music, we should be supporting them by buying it ourselves!

It is a lot of money and work, learning and getting to know the industry! You also have to learn to promote, the event and the DJ or DJ's. The other side - it's so much fun and you get to meet some amazing people!!

If you love what you're doing, you'll be your own success! No matter what level you want it to be!

/////AMG
06-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Over a year old now. So did Fluidic go through with this?

urbannomad
06-06-2006, 08:37 PM
DJ A.M.!

maybe their is some inspiration in his stuff.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=12612098

check it!