PDA

View Full Version : Saltlik Review

AsianCaucasian
04-25-2005, 11:57 AM
The girlfriend and I decided to have a good dinner on Saturday night to celebrate me (hopefully) surviving first year university. Walking around Stephen Avenue Walk we stumbled upon a nice steakhouse named Saltlik. I had heard about this restaurant before from a friend and it was highly recommended so I decided to try it out.

The place itself was pretty nice with giant mirrors against the wall and a large blown glass sculpture hanging from the ceiling. My server was very friendly and refilled my drink four or five times without even asking me (I'm a very thirsty person). For those people who enjoy cleanliness, their washrooms were very clean and very classy looking I might add.

To start, we decided on Oysters Rockefuller ($12) which were baked oysters with cheese and spinach served in their shells upon a bed of sea salt. They tasted pretty great and left my girlfriend raving about them.

For the main course, I decided on their "Bodacious Bone-in Ribeye" ($27) and my lady decided on their "Petit Filet. " ($27) The rib steak came with a citrus butter sauce with rosemary and tasted excellent. The meat was perfectly marbled and juicy. Probably one of the best steaks I've ever had... not quite the best though. It also came with a giant baked potato loaded to the top with "the works." The filet mignon was extremely tender and was slathered with a peppercorn sauce and served with grilled mushrooms on the side. It looked slightly on the small side though... although most filet mignons are like that.

For dessert I had an apple pie with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream while my girlfriend had a Baked Alaska which is a giant chocolate cookie topped with pistachio ice cream and meringue.
Both were pretty good but we both agreed that the Baked Alaska was a little bit too sweet.

All in all, the entire experience was pretty enjoyable and not too expensive. The entire dinner came to $85.67 and I ended up tipping them $25 for the good service. I wouldn't hesitate to go there again.

Food 4.5/5
Service 5/5
Ambience 5/5

Mckenzie
04-25-2005, 12:37 PM
Cool review...I was wanting to try that place out. Another place I should recommend is Milestones and I think its right across the street. I was there last week and its a super nice place....great atmosphere, great food and great service. Same price range as well....but can get expensive if you start ordering wine (yeah it was $100 by the time we got out of there). You should try it out though.:thumbsup:

bol
04-25-2005, 01:29 PM
I was there Saturday as well. I love that restaurant and go there quite often.

Ajay
04-25-2005, 02:51 PM
Saltlik in my opinion is one of the better steak houses in Calgary.

I went to the one in Banff not too long ago and had the Peppercorn Steak. Used to think Smuggler's Peppercorn was the best I ever had (before it went down hill) but this was absolutely amazing. Melts in your mouth like there's no tomorrow.....my mouth is watering now......:drool:

DowntownCowboy
04-25-2005, 03:00 PM
Saltlik has good food and well sized portions, and is a good alternative for steak if you don't like the medieval style of Hy's and Caesar's. Its also a la carte so you order your sides separate from your chunk of meat.

I've had good experiences on the 8th Ave location, however, our group of 30 at the Banff location didn't have as good a time because we were a bit on the rowdy side. The owner didn't handle us well at all, arms crossed and pissy all night.

Milestone's is a different category than Saltlik altogether, its a Western chain like Earls, Cactus & Moxies, but the best of the bunch. Bellini Tuesdays, and the Caramelized Apple French Toast brunch are incredible.

Team_Mclaren
04-25-2005, 03:02 PM
WTF aaron.. arent you suppose to be working right now?:rofl:

AsianCaucasian
04-25-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
WTF aaron.. arent you suppose to be working right now?:rofl:

Lol... I am... sorta.

sputnik
04-25-2005, 03:18 PM
I like their dinner menu.

However I find their lunch menu in need of some more variety.

Proyecto2000
04-25-2005, 03:26 PM
I was there last week, I would say they serve pretty good food altough they need more desserts :poosie:

JAYMEZ
04-25-2005, 04:57 PM
I always love going to them , such good service , and sweet party room downstairs :thumbsup:

I give them a 9.5/10