PDA

View Full Version : Will EBay screw me?

QuasarCav
04-25-2005, 03:32 PM
Hello,

Quick question for those of you that use Ebay alot.

I bid on a item and won it, It was a shift knob for .99c. I knew that the seller would try to charge a horrendous shipping amount because that is what they do. I called their "office" in California to pay over the phone with CC. When I asked them for a shipping amount they told me it would be 38 USD. I said " I had a clutch kit overnighted for less than that and it was 12lbs." she said to hold on for a minute while I talk to someone. 15 min and 7 dollars later (crappy long distance plan) I hung up.

Last monday ebay sends me an email statting that I have an unpaid item on my account.

I'm perfectly happy never using ebay again. Is this something that will haunt me later? I'm not paying 38 dollars for a shift knob that I bought in town for 20.

86max
04-25-2005, 03:36 PM
Always make sure you know the shipping amount before bidding on an item in the future. I don't think ebay can do anything to you, but the seller can leave you negative feedback.

camaro
04-25-2005, 03:38 PM
You get 3 strikes, don't worry about it.

shakalaka
04-25-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
Hello,

Quick question for those of you that use Ebay alot.

I bid on a item and won it, It was a shift knob for .99c. I knew that the seller would try to charge a horrendous shipping amount because that is what they do. I called their "office" in California to pay over the phone with CC. When I asked them for a shipping amount they told me it would be 38 USD. I said " I had a clutch kit overnighted for less than that and it was 12lbs." she said to hold on for a minute while I talk to someone. 15 min and 7 dollars later (crappy long distance plan) I hung up.

Last monday ebay sends me an email statting that I have an unpaid item on my account.

I'm perfectly happy never using ebay again. Is this something that will haunt me later? I'm not paying 38 dollars for a shift knob that I bought in town for 20.

Seller leaves negative remark. Maximum ebay can do is cancel your account for a period of time.

Ariakas
04-25-2005, 03:44 PM
You get a non-paying bidder strike against you. No biggie, you get 3 strikes as mentioned earlier. It won't haunt you down the road.

QuasarCav
04-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Cool, thanks guys.

After reading through all the legal jargon it appears as if they might be able to hold me liable for payment.

I'm usually more cautious of what I bid on and I make sure it's all good before I hit the button.

Oh well, lesson learned.

eblend
04-25-2005, 04:30 PM
definately find out before you bid, if you bid they can jack up the price for anything. Most of the 99c intems are gonna have highjacked shipping prices becaues these people make lots of money on shipping, costs them 1 dollar to ship, but they will charge 10 and up. so lesson learned next time check before you buy