PDA

View Full Version : A nice cop

Kobe
04-25-2005, 03:59 PM
wow, was driving down elbow dr today at 43km/h and got flashed, and pulled over, i didn't know there was a playground zone, never gone that road before..

Anyways cop asks for my registration and what not, give it to him, was really nice, thanks to all the threads in here :P

He gives me the ticket, then tells me that this will boost my insurance up, but i guess he felt sorry for me, everyone in the car was wearing a seatbelt.. He asked when the school zones and playground zones were in effect, and what not.. then..

After all that he told me he would just give me a warning, becuase he knows how hard insurance would be to pay (Im 17).. And he ripped up the ticket right infront of me..

If the cop is on the forum.. Thanks :D

O yah a lady behind me got pulled over aswell, but i think she got a ticket..

Cop also said i could get a ticket for passing the bus, but it was slowing down

vcteggy
04-25-2005, 04:01 PM
nice, that's cool that he let you off

AsianCaucasian
04-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Wow, thats lucky.

69cougar
04-25-2005, 04:08 PM
What a lot of people on here fail to understand is that 95% of Calgary cops are actually really good guys. They go through so much shit on a day to day basis that they may not be in the best of moods. A lot of people flip out over small shit in their jobs like a late fed ex envelope, imagine having to pull a kid out of a house where the parents are drug addicts/trafficers for example or telling someone that a loved one was killed in an accident. That being said like it or not alot when a cop pulls you over there is a reason. Such as yourself you were speeding and he could have nailed you but a little respect goes a long way as you have found out, Instead of being like a lot of the people who complain about being pulled over you accepted the reposnability and were rewarded by favourable officer discretion. I am glad that you actually posted on here your ecperience instaed of the usually "Cop was an asshole and blah blah blah.

In conclusion

Back the Blue

heavyD
04-25-2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by 69cougar
What a lot of people on here fail to understand is that 95% of Calgary cops are actually really good guys. They go through so much shit on a day to day basis that they may not be in the best of moods. A lot of people flip out over small shit in their jobs like a late fed ex envelope, imagine having to pull a kid out of a house where the parents are drug addicts/trafficers for example or telling someone that a loved one was killed in an accident. That being said like it or not alot when a cop pulls you over there is a reason. Such as yourself you were speeding and he could have nailed you but a little respect goes a long way as you have found out, Instead of being like a lot of the people who complain about being pulled over you accepted the reposnability and were rewarded by favourable officer discretion. I am glad that you actually posted on here your ecperience instaed of the usually "Cop was an asshole and blah blah blah.

In conclusion

Back the Blue

Cops are people like everyone else but 95% really good guys?:rolleyes: Maybe 50% if you are lucky. Alot of the traffic cops are on powertrips plain & simple. I recenly got a seatbelt ticket from one of their little seatbelt sting operations and the fucker gave me a $172 ticket because my insurance pinkslip was a month outdated for "failing to provide proper insurance". It really sucks when you pay the big $$ we have to pay for insurance and you still have to pay $172 because your little piece of paper is outdated yet you have insurance. I was real polite until he wrote me up on that then he wouldn't even look at me when I asked WTF. I don't call that a "real good guy". I call him a prick.:whipped:

eblend
04-25-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Cops are people like everyone else but 95% really good guys?:rolleyes: Maybe 50% if you are lucky. Alot of the traffic cops are on powertrips plain & simple. I recenly got a seatbelt ticket from one of their little seatbelt sting operations and the fucker gave me a $172 ticket because my insurance pinkslip was a month outdated for "failing to provide proper insurance". It really sucks when you pay the big $$ we have to pay for insurance and you still have to pay $172 because your little piece of paper is outdated yet you have insurance. I was real polite until he wrote me up on that then he wouldn't even look at me when I asked WTF. I don't call that a "real good guy". I call him a prick.:whipped:

well isn't that your fault that you didn't have the proper papers? Insurance companies send them out all the time when they are renewed, its your responsibility to put them in the car, if you fail to do so don't complain about it, it is your fault on that part

403Gemini
04-25-2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by eblend

well isn't that your fault that you didn't have the proper papers? Insurance companies send them out all the time when they are renewed, its your responsibility to put them in the car, if you fail to do so don't complain about it, it is your fault on that part

i got pulled over about a yr ago for goin 20 over (not in a playground zone) and i totally forgot to swap out the insurance papers. the cop comes back to my car, tells me this im like "oooh shit...." but he just handed me a ticket and said "I marked it down for 10 over instead of 20 so you dont get demerits, and get your insurance worked out when you get home.... just dont get pulled over again" smiled and walked back to his car.

:dunno: i guess if you dont give off attitude or anything cops will be more lenient

JordanEG6
04-25-2005, 04:30 PM
hmmmm...lucky! with my luck that would never happen
:D

69cougar
04-25-2005, 04:33 PM

Exactly like I said, there is always a reson you are pulled over and always a reason you are ticketed.

A provincial statute charge (TSA) is a strict liability charge intent does not need to be proven only that the breach occurred. Word od advice a Judge is the one that needs to here your defence not the cop.

Kaos
04-25-2005, 04:39 PM
Its out of many that some police will have good days and bad days.
I notice that alot of the verteran cops are the jackasses though.
Some of the rookies I come across are really nice.

If the cop is being nice to you, be nice back.
If hes being a jack ass, be a jackass to him.

Tyler883
04-25-2005, 05:05 PM

well isnt that typical response for these kind of posts!:banghead:

Khyron
04-25-2005, 05:05 PM

Ok I don't get how you can complain about a cop who tickets you for not having proof of insurance. If he was a prick he would have towed your car.

That "little piece of paper" is the only proof you have that you are insured - should they take everyone's word when they say "oh I have it, it's just at home?" Like what's the alternative for him? Wait while you go home and get it?

Should the store take your credit card because "it's only a month expired" or perhaps your passport should be accepted a month late?

I agree there are dick cops out there just like with any profession, and I complain about speeding/tint tickets, but bitching when you got tagged for not wearing a seatbelt (stupid) and not having insurance papers, just seems lame. Personally I would have impounded you, and given you the big 2500 dollar fine and let you fight it later.

Khyron

nine4t4
04-25-2005, 05:06 PM
Traffic cops aren't on a powertrip. It's a crappy job. Sitting in a car with a radar gun waiting for something to happen. A cop's job is to enforce the law not write it. They do have quotas although they won't admit it. The poor guys have to dole out a certain number if only to prove they weren't sleeping in the squad car.

I've encountered a few. In order of humanitarian to human toad.

1) The guy that wrote me a ticket for 49 over in an 80 kph zone. I was going 148 over (saw the readout). Handling yourself well is the key. I could have had my permit confiscated, had to appear before a JP and 6 points. I got 4 points and to enjoy my weekend. Scene-I'm booting along, I see the car coming toward me. Look down at the speedo and pull over. He didn't even hit the cherries before I was stopped. Playing stupid won't help you. The guy was really cool, and gave me some slack because I was just trying to get out of town. He even said the hill probably accounted for some of the excess speed, yeah right. He outlayed the options guilty or fight it. To which I respond that if drops it that much I'm definately not going to force him to waste a day in court. Then he asks if I want to see the radar. I say sure, but once again I don't question his judgement. Cool guy.

2) 10 over, on a Main street. I think it was more (one of those lower limit zones that sneek up on you. Told him I was just driving to the GF's because she was sick and pointed to the chicken soup on the passengers seat. I didn't catch the speed change and apologized. His response that he was forced to do this and dropped it to 10 over. Some witch was hassling the cops about the traffic on the street and they had to show they were taking action. No prob. that's life.

3) The biggest dick of a cop I have ever heard of. Driving along and see a car with the cherries behind me. But he's only doing like forty klicks. The road is 80. Not sure what's going on I pull a right to see if he's following me. Sure enough he turns. "I couldn't catch up to you!"

But I was only doing 80 maybe 85. It appears that I drove through a church zone that went down to 50. Did I mention that this was a Wednesday afternoon. His tranny blew and wouldn't get into 2nd. The preist was complaining to the town about traffic. ANYBODY GOING TO CHURCH ON A WEDNESDAY PROBABLY HAS AN EXPRESS PASS TO HEAVEN!!! If I hit them they should thank me. So what do I get for stupid enforcement and slowing down for a junker squadcar. 20 over. A hole.

jaysas_63
04-25-2005, 05:10 PM
i honestly think theres a HUGE correlation to the type of car u drive(i.e $$)/ ur age/ and ur race that contributes to wether they are lenient or not.......i kno it sounds harsh but its the truth

Kobe
04-25-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63
i honestly think theres a HUGE correlation to the type of car u drive(i.e $$)/ ur age/ and ur race that contributes to wether they are lenient or not.......i kno it sounds harsh but its the truth

I dunno man

94 Acura Integra
17 Year old, with 2 friends in the car..

You would think the cop would ticket me for sure..

jaysas_63
04-25-2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Kobe

I dunno man

94 Acura Integra
17 Year old, with 2 friends in the car..

You would think the cop would ticket me for sure..

i'm talkin more along teh lines of german cars......i really belive cops rateher give a ticket to a kid driving a benz than one driving an acura......and then teh whole color thing.....

shakalaka
04-25-2005, 05:21 PM

Its totally true man. I got stopped in my 325IS and when the cop came. I was like, "please sir I am a student I cannot afford a ticket!"
cop, "if you can afford a bmw, I am sure you can afford this ticket!"

on the side note, not hating on the cop or anything. It was my fault, got what i deserved.

Toma
04-25-2005, 05:50 PM
Yep! Cool! :thumbsup:

heavyD
04-25-2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
Ok I don't get how you can complain about a cop who tickets you for not having proof of insurance. If he was a prick he would have towed your car.

That "little piece of paper" is the only proof you have that you are insured - should they take everyone's word when they say "oh I have it, it's just at home?" Like what's the alternative for him? Wait while you go home and get it?

Khyron

First of all it was my first traffic ticket since 1996 and I was fine with the seatbelt ticket and didn't complain. They used to give you 24 hours to provide proof of insurance. It makes me sick to see taxpayer money pay for three police vehicles on one corner just to cash in on easy $115 seatbelt infractions to meet their end of the month quota and then get cop attitude to boot. I don't know, maybe they could be investigating one of our weekend stabbings, or the grow operations in every second block of the city. That would be a better use of taxpayer money.

It kind of sucks when you take a 3 minute drive at lunch to Tim Hortons and just because you don't put your seatbelt on you are out $300. I know technically he is right but his attitude was like "what are you going to do about it".

I got off my last five tickets and I'll get off both these but it's still a hassle.:D

Tyler883
04-25-2005, 07:46 PM
Can you start another thread and tell us how you beat them?

1badPT
04-25-2005, 07:49 PM
On the way to Wainright I was going 180 and an RCMP officer passed me going the other way. He just waived as he went by - probably felt sorry that I was going to such a hell hole. :rofl:

Tyler883
04-25-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
On the way to Wainright I was going 180 and an RCMP officer passed me going the other way. He just waived as he went by - probably felt sorry that I was going to such a hell hole. :rofl:

180 in a PT cruiser, he must have thought he was halucinating;)

69cougar
04-25-2005, 10:39 PM

First of all it was my first traffic ticket since 1996 and I was fine with the seatbelt ticket and didn't complain. They used to give you 24 hours to provide proof of insurance. It makes me sick to see taxpayer money pay for three police vehicles on one corner just to cash in on easy $115 seatbelt infractions to meet their end of the month quota and then get cop attitude to boot. I don't know, maybe they could be investigating one of our weekend stabbings, or the grow operations in every second block of the city. That would be a better use of taxpayer money.

It kind of sucks when you take a 3 minute drive at lunch to Tim Hortons and just because you don't put your seatbelt on you are out $300. I know technically he is right but his attitude was like "what are you going to do about it".

I got off my last five tickets and I'll get off both these but it's still a hassle.:D

Yeah that kinda does suck on a 3 minute drive. Stoopid cop nailed me for opening up my throttle for a measley 10 seconds in that skool zone. What an arshole!!!

403Gemini
04-25-2005, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Kaos
Its out of many that some police will have good days and bad days.
I notice that alot of the verteran cops are the jackasses though.
Some of the rookies I come across are really nice.

If the cop is being nice to you, be nice back.
If hes being a jack ass, be a jackass to him.

really? ive always found older cops let me off rather than just decrease the ticket. :dunno:

also yea, if a guys writing you a ticket and is being an ass, lets be an ass back and piss him off more. :rolleyes:

ever hear the expression "dont poke the bear"?

Tha VZA
04-26-2005, 12:08 AM

i'm talkin more along teh lines of german cars......i really belive cops rateher give a ticket to a kid driving a benz than one driving an acura......and then teh whole color thing.....

i would have to disagree...

the kid in the acura/honda/nissan/whatever little japanese import you desire is already put into a stereotype of "punk kid driving and import imitating certain movies".....we all know.....you see cars all the time with JUST a muffler added on....and the driver thinks its F1 ready.....not dissing import tuners, not at all, NOT EVERYONE IS LIKE THIS BUT WE ALL HAVE SEEN IT....

german cars like benz's dont have that rep, or mine...a volvo....even though i should be pulled over more than i am, its a volvo and with that car comes a reputation of safety, lucky me

asian import cars dont have that rep.....they have a different one

just my opinion

ciao

core_upt
04-26-2005, 01:01 AM
My best "nice cop" story:

Late one sunday evening me and a buddy go to Tim Hortons over in Avendia mall. Being a Sunday at about 9:30 at night in he middle of summer, nothing in the strip mall is open but the Tim's. I park a few rows away, but "show park" the lude at an angle across four stalls since nobody is going to need them for the next 16 hours!

We're indise have a coffee when i look out the window and see a cop criuiser pull up right beside my car, and i mean right beside, and park there and wait. I figure he's just checking the plate and probably going to give me a hard tie about something for sure.

I try to out wait him so me and my friend chill inside for another 20 mins or so, then step out for a smoke, all the time nervously watching the cop who's still waiting.

Finally I decide to face the music and start walking to my car. Nothing happens until I'm about to get in when the cop rolls down his window and says:

"You know, I can give you a ticket for every stall you're parked in, plus tickets for your exhaust, no amber lights in the front and how low your bumpers sit. But, you have one hell of a nice car, and if I drove it, I'd do the same thing. It's nice to see someone take good car of what they have."

I thanked him and he wished us a good night and left. It was like he was waiting to compliment my car!!!

Best cop story ever.

DayGlow
04-26-2005, 01:09 AM
For me it's the action of the driver that catches my eye, not the car.

Then again if I could afford it I would have a pimp car as well.

ryder_23
04-26-2005, 01:45 AM
All of my encounters with police have been great ones (knocks on wood)

Pulled over for 100 in a 60, out of town on a hwy, and just went from 100 - 60, just not paying attention on a road i didnt know. Cop gave me 80 in a 60, i deserved it so i was more then happy.

Another 99 in a 60, on old banff, late night, maybe early morning, no one on road, yes i was speeding, got stopped. Cop got all my info, came back about 30 seconds later, said that he sees my car can handle that threw the turns, but slow it down because of all the deaths, i thanked him, and went about my buisness.

Few other minor infraction stops, but never ticketed, i guess cops like me for some reason :rofl:

but just with those 2 major stops, its defintly taught me to slow down, so i guess sometimes the system does work :dunno:

Oh, i too have been stopped in EV, twice, and not been ticketed...one for speeding, not sure speed, he couldnt get a reading threw the turn, and one for no seat belt.

Genjuro
04-26-2005, 02:05 PM
1 in a billion

dymz999
04-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Well i've worked for the calgary police service and went on a few ride alongs with different officers. Let me tell you they pick on younger drivers specifically and if your in a import car with anything done to it they'll pull you over for anything they see fit. There are a lot of biased officers out there do not kid yourself. They are nice when you dont give them attitude though, if you give them attitude your in for it.

trust me on this. In my dodge shadow i never get pulled over once even though its turbo/intercooled with non stock exhaust. in my 240 ya right.