PDA

View Full Version : SAIT's Applied Degree

AznDragon2004
04-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone here is familar with the 2 year applied degree at SAIT. What's the difference from the 2 year applied degree compared to U of C?

I'm going into Electrical Engineering Technology at SAIT this coming fall.

HuMz
04-25-2005, 05:24 PM
im not too familar with the program itself but i know there's a few companies that won't even look at you with that degree because its from SAIT and not U of C

kaput
04-25-2005, 06:39 PM

jaysas_63
04-25-2005, 07:45 PM
most ppl use sait as a stepping stone to transfer to university (if their grades weren't too hot in HS).......an EE degree from sait doesn't really compare to one from UofC, and your salary will certainly reflect that.....

u will be more of a technician rather than an engineer....as it says, its an applied degree.....

HuMz
04-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by kaput
If you go to sait you aren't an engineer. Your an engineers bitch.

not in all cases, petroleum and civil are good examples

jaysas_63
04-25-2005, 07:57 PM
no a university degree in petE, and civE are still more respected than a sait degree

seer_claw
04-25-2005, 07:58 PM
I'm in the Civil Eng. Tech program and I am enjoying it so far. Its a lot of work and it gives you a few options in the workforce, helping engineers design structures, project management, or r&d. Its more applied than theoretical like the engineers take at university.

SAIT also has some really good transfer programs to UBC where you can get a full Engineering degree. Takes another 3 years but I will be doing it.

AznDragon2004
04-25-2005, 08:40 PM
So your all telling me that I should transfer into a university instead of taking the 2 year applied degree?

The two universities I can transfer into when I complete my 2 year diploma at SAIT are university of victoria or Lakehead university. So basically transfering into one of the two university is a better choice than taking the 2 year applied degree?

kaput
04-25-2005, 08:44 PM

kaput
04-25-2005, 08:50 PM

BlackArcher101
04-25-2005, 09:23 PM
Yes, transfer to another University after SAIT. But for the love of god, do not go to Lakehead U.... horrible horrible place. I just came back from there a few months ago.
Go to Victoria instead. A few of my classmates also went to UofC.

AznDragon2004
04-25-2005, 10:30 PM
Thanks for all your help

seer_claw
04-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Its always nice to have a diploma to fall back on if you don't feel up to completing the degree at a university and its only 2 years so if you don't like it you can always take something else.

RawB8figure
05-07-2005, 10:48 PM
It depends what you take at SAIT, But SAIT is a joke for the most part. Anyone can pass if you give it 50% like I did. But I just graduated and making good money to start. But if you have a choice go to UofC, or if your high school grades suck (C's and B's) like mine did go to SAIT or Mount Royal, its better than nothing.
Just try to do something you enjoy and the money will come.

Howl
05-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by AznDragon2004
So your all telling me that I should transfer into a university instead of taking the 2 year applied degree?

The two universities I can transfer into when I complete my 2 year diploma at SAIT are university of victoria or Lakehead university. So basically transfering into one of the two university is a better choice than taking the 2 year applied degree?

If you take electrical eng. tech at sait, u can transfer to u of vic or lakehead university upon completion of a bridging program (like 6 months)

digi355
05-16-2005, 11:29 PM
think of it like this the U of C is a truck stop school. Sait is more of a gas station. In the end they are both shitty schools that give you teh ability to get a half decent job. If you want to be somthing good dont go to either.

D. Dub
05-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by digi355
think of it like this the U of C is a truck stop school. Sait is more of a gas station. In the end they are both shitty schools that give you teh ability to get a half decent job. If you want to be somthing good dont go to either.

Yeah............ the doctor's, lawyers, engineers and architects from the U of C are never gonna get a good job. :rolleyes: