PDA

View Full Version : exhaust laws

markymark
04-25-2005, 05:26 PM
What are the laws on exhaust in Alberta? My friend was just given a ticket for illegal performance enhancing exhaust. The RCMP officer told him that any performance modification to exhaust regardless if it is still not loud is illegal. This doesnt seem right though? He still had a muffler? Anyone know for sure?

shakalaka
04-25-2005, 05:28 PM
I dunno for sure. I got a fartcan on my civic. No tickets so far (keeping fingers crossed). But i avoid revving up too much near or close to a cop car just to be on the safe side.

Kobe
04-25-2005, 07:28 PM
I think any non stock exhaust is illegal...

3G
04-25-2005, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
I dunno for sure. I got a fartcan on my civic. No tickets so far (keeping fingers crossed). But i avoid revving up too much near or close to a cop car just to be on the safe side.

the hell would you rev up an automatic civic? :dunno:

Barking_Spidre
04-25-2005, 07:35 PM
I think its any mod that makes the exhaust pipe bigger than stock is illegal.

shakalaka
04-25-2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by 3G

the hell would you rev up an automatic civic? :dunno:

I meant like pressing too much gas at once.

Shaolin
04-25-2005, 07:40 PM
I talked to my 3 cop friends in regards to that.. they said it's a grey area.. as long as you're not an idiot waking up the neighborhood or setting off car alarms you should be ok.

EDIT: You can always email the calgary police, they've given me information in regards to laws everytime I wrote to them.

IE. Red light cameras, motorcycle parking, etc.

DannyO
04-25-2005, 10:15 PM
I can't see how a non stock exhaust can be illegal, what if you have an old car and just get some average exhaust from crappy tire, is that illegal?, I highly doubt it, so I don't see how they could say one that actually improves the car can be, I dunno, like what was said, I guess its a grey area, but I do agree the loud fart cans should be illegal, unless your engine is churning out 900hp, theres no need for it to sound like it is.

googe
04-25-2005, 11:24 PM
modified exhaust isnt illegal just because its modified

the law says "widened outlet", which is very ambiguous. i had a cop neighbor for a while, he told me it was bs because i replaced my exhaust with a bigger one, i didnt "widen it". you can probably fight them. i got one once but it was dropped for other reasons.

if you took a hacksaw or something and widened it, maybe youre guilty...but even then it doesnt say a benchmark for what the starting point is.

usually you get this ticket for 1 of 3 reasons

1) you made the cop mad, and he cant pin anything else on you
2) its loud and annoying
3) cop is being an ass

#1 and #2 being the most common...

markymark
04-25-2005, 11:32 PM
I dunno im pretty sure it is number 3, cause everything on it is stock and its not very loud at all...The cop asked him if he knew having it was illegal and my friend said no i thought it was just illegal if it was too loud or you didnt have any exhaust and the cop said nope, heres a ticket...

GoChris
04-26-2005, 08:42 AM
take that ticket to court, will probably be thrown out.

Toms-SC
04-26-2005, 10:30 AM
Take it to court, you'll end up paying it.

And for the record REPOST x3920473207420947230842374. Please consider seaching next time.

j0nblayz
04-26-2005, 11:07 AM
actually i got a ticket too, was driving back to calgary from edmonton, and right at ponoka and a rcmp pulls me over for no reason at all, says i'm speeding, i was like how fast was i going? hes like get out of the car.... rudest rcmp ever, mind you i did have a riced out civic back then, first tells me that my headlights are illegal since the bulb is blue, i was like what da, traffic law says light must emit a white light, nothing about a bulb color, so anyways ticket for xenon headlights, xenon signal lights, xenon side markers, xenon reverse lights, ticket for short ram intake, failure to have reflectors in the front, also ticket for my R1 fireball style exhaust, says that if he can stick a stick all the way thru the muffler then its a straight flow muffler so its illegal.. and also got my car towed away... ever since then i sold the civic right away... was too risky to drive out of calgary... luckly he didn't noticed i removed my cats.. heh.. yeah well i was pretty broke after that.. plus my court date was at ponoka and theres NO WAY i wouldeve gotten off if i had to show up at a court in ponoka.. so i just paid the tickets... man was that the worst day ever...

4doorj
04-26-2005, 12:34 PM
^ouch!

ken-gsr
04-26-2005, 12:48 PM
i heard that they can give you a ticket if the muffler tip is over 3 inches, whether it is loud or not. sounds like bull shit to me

4doorj
04-26-2005, 12:50 PM
what are u suppose to do when a jerk cop pulls u over like that.. and wants to tow your car for the stupidest reasons ever

88CRX
04-26-2005, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by ken-gsr
i heard that they can give you a ticket if the muffler tip is over 3 inches, whether it is loud or not. sounds like bull shit to me

whats that? you exhaust sounds like buuuulll.... anyways....

cops told me anything enlarged over stock is illegal.... nothing about sound, just enlarged.

ken-gsr
04-26-2005, 12:57 PM
your a dink

j0nblayz
04-26-2005, 12:59 PM
thing was i honestly didn't want to say anything back to him, he had one hand on his gun, and kept yelling at me to put my hands on my steering wheel, then made me put my hands on the hood while he searched my car... forgot to mention that he searched my car, and searched my trunk and took my new set of headlights and the new exhaust i bought for my friends from edmonton, he said there illegal and took them with him.. i was pretty choked, but from way the cop was acting i personally didn't wanna even say or do anything back. I wanted to fight the fact he took my stuff and did a car search for no reason, but my parents told me its totally not worth it since the court date is in ponoka and the judge will no matter what favour the cop not me.. so i just paid the tickets and kept quiet..

yohan4ws
04-26-2005, 01:34 PM
the law is, and I quotE (because I called to ask about it)

"No person shall operate an automobile powered by an internal combustion engine, the exhaust outlet of which has been modified or enlarged"

This means anything Non-OEM is against the law.

Technically, no matter what, any aftermarket exhaust not built to oem spec is ticketable.

I have the 2nd or 3rd quietest aftermarket exhaust for my Prelude, its subtle doesnt stick out and doesnt make much noise ... I can, and probably will, eventually get a ticket for having a modified exhaust.

There's no arguing the above law unless you cave prove the muffler is built to oem spec, which you wouldnt be ticketed for if it was so .. yuh .. my 2 cents.

CowTownBiomed
04-26-2005, 02:34 PM
"No person shall operate an automobile powered by an internal combustion engine, the exhaust outlet of which has been modified or enlarged"

Thats right out of the Alberta Hiighway trafict act.

Looks like all of the ricers out there should save thier cash.

Imagine IF the CPS actualy started to enforce this?

Now that would be hilarious..

asp integra
04-26-2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by j0nblayz
ticket for short ram intake,

why would u get a ticket for an intake?
:dunno: :dunno:

mdeleon
04-26-2005, 04:11 PM
holy j0nblayz you had it bad...hand on gun and everything huh? but technically, a cop can't search your car without a warrant or proof something illegal in your car...but most people choke and get scared so they let them, plus whynot if you have nothing to hide right? but it's just really embarrassing when people stare you down as they drive by thinking you did something so horrible for cps to search your car...happened to me when i got an "oversized exhaust" ticket, i also got patted down. made me late for work too. the wierd thing was, even though he seemed like an ass, he was very polite...haha

camaro
04-26-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by asp integra

why would u get a ticket for an intake?
:dunno: :dunno:

It probably wasn't C.A.R.B. :rofl:

dymz999
04-26-2005, 07:43 PM
Well here is the truth you guys.

Any exhaust on any car that is not the stock diameter (2.0" or less for most import cars) is deemed illegal and an officer from the rcmp or any police agency can give you a ticket for it. Any kind of single 3" to 4" muffler is likely to get tickets from older officers who are biased against younger import car lovers.

You ever see a mustang getting a ticket for upgraded exhaust? didn't think so.

The best way to have an exhaust is a dual 2" or 2.5" outlet that way your unlikelyto get a ticket. They can also ding you with the exhaust too loud ticket too.

Cword
04-27-2005, 10:37 AM
The full text of the Alberta Highway traffic Safety act is accessible on line
Vist http://www.tu.gov.ab.ca/Publications/Legislation.asp for a listing of what’s available

These exhaust points are covered in section 61 of the Vehicle Equipment Regulation.

61(1) A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine must have an exhaust muffler that is cooling and expelling the exhaust gases from the engine without excessive noise and without producing flames or sparks.
(2) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine if the exhaust outlet of the muffler has been widened.
(3) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine if a device is attached to the exhaust system or the muffler that increases the noise made by the expulsion of gases from the engine or allows a flame to be ignited from the exhaust system.