PDA

View Full Version : Hydrolock

civic_rida
06-23-2002, 09:13 PM
How deep of a water puddle do i have to go through to hydrolock my engine i have cold air intake and a 2 inch drop.

Also should i be worried when it says we expect 10mm of rain from tonight to tommorow night.

Evan
06-23-2002, 09:15 PM
Is hydro locking the same as hydro plane? :dunno:

ninspeed
06-23-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by civic_rida
How deep of a water puddle do i have to go through to hydrolock my engine i have cold air intake and a 2 inch drop.

Also should i be worried when it says we expect 10mm of rain from tonight to tommorow night.
Do you have one of the AIM water by pass valves? If not i wuld look in to one. I would just drive as careful as possible, i know when it rains i have to stay back from people as my intake is right behind the grill and is quite open now, it wont take much for water to get in there if your are going through big puddles though

civic_rida
06-23-2002, 09:20 PM
bypass= loss in power

Silencer
06-23-2002, 09:24 PM
Hydrolocking is when water gets into your airbox or air-intake and is fed into the engine, causing the engine to sieze. (ie: your motor is F-CKED)

Hydroplanning is when your tires are spinning too fast to bite into the road to get traction. Your car starts to lose control. This happens on highways when its wet. Usually you have to be going pretty fast though 120 km/h+ depending on tires, weight, etc.

As to civic_rida's question, I have no idea, but I'm sure it depends on how fast you are going and how exposed your intake is. Just be careful and treat puddles like speed bumps.(ie drive slowly).

BTW, is it raining 10mm or 10cm? (typo?)

civic_rida
06-23-2002, 09:28 PM
i've never seen 10cm of rain

Ben
06-23-2002, 09:35 PM
i've never seen 10cm of rain

Waterton/Pincher Creek saw 300MM of rain two weeks ago. Most of It fell within 48Hrs...damn, thats ALOT OF RAIN!

4wheeldrift
06-23-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Evan
Is hydro locking the same as hydro plane? :dunno:
Hydrolock is totally different from hydroplaning. Hydrolock is when you suck a sizable amount of water into the engine via the intake. Its a very good way to bend your rods into U shapes.

CRXguy
06-23-2002, 09:50 PM
Well you have to be an idiot to hydrolock your engine. If you see a puddle, change lanes or SLOW down. So simpo!:banghead:

GTS Jeff
06-23-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy
Well you have to be an idiot to hydrolock your engine. If you see a puddle, change lanes or SLOW down. So simpo!:banghead: Not everyone has da madd skillz

WBB6
06-23-2002, 11:45 PM
bypass= loss in power

Bypass Valve = Hot Air in Intake System...thus loss power

so that means that the bypass valve defeats the purpose of a Cold Air Intake!

civic_rida
06-23-2002, 11:46 PM
do u have a cold air?

ninspeed
06-24-2002, 12:31 AM
Ya.. but it stays shut untile themain filer is blocked right? i rmber asking when they came out if vtec would affect it when it kicks in as there is a lot more air flowing though and would open the valve.. i am not too sure how it works

James
06-24-2002, 03:35 AM
I know a guy who just did this to his engine. He is the biggest idiot. 2 weeks ago when it was raining alot, Water got into his intake, so to solve the problem, he decided to cover the intake with a plastic bag!:thumbsdow it sucked in the bag, crushing the intake, and F**king up his engine even more!(its now completely seized):banghead: Some people. :confused:

B18C
06-24-2002, 11:06 AM
Cold-air intakes are ass in my opinion. They don't cool the intake temp enough to justify the extra piping or the chance of hydrolocking (though I don't think that hydrolocking is a big problem or anything)

Weapon_R
06-24-2002, 11:10 AM
You would have to be pretty stupid to hydrolock your engine. I've had my CAI for about two years without a single episode.

Hydrolock is when water gets into your engine. Hydroplane is when a layer of water gets in between the road and your tires, so that you are floating on water kinda. Makes for a slippery road.

WBB6
06-24-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by B18C
Cold-air intakes are ass in my opinion. They don't cool the intake temp enough to justify the extra piping or the chance of hydrolocking (though I don't think that hydrolocking is a big problem or anything)

Cold Air Intakes are really good, it's just the optional bypass that you can add that defeats the purpose of the Cold Air Intake. I think that the risk of Hydro Lock in Calgary is minimal, I can see the concern in city's like Vancouver where it rains alot!

4wheeldrift
06-24-2002, 12:19 PM
The AEM bypass valves only work well if the filter is fully submerged anyways.

B18C
06-24-2002, 12:30 PM
Well, I did a little test with my injen with and without the coldair extension and the difference in intake temp was about 10 degrees farenheit under VERY hard acceleration (which is like 1whp) and less than 5 degrees farenheit at cruising.

To me that isn't a big enough difference to warrant the extra piping. Besides, even Jackson Racing recommends a shorty for supercharged applications. It supposedly lets the blower draw in air more efficiently.

redline
06-24-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by B18C
Well, I did a little test with my injen with and without the coldair extension and the difference in intake temp was about 10 degrees farenheit under VERY hard acceleration (which is like 1whp) and less than 5 degrees farenheit at cruising.

To me that isn't a big enough difference to warrant the extra piping. Besides, even Jackson Racing recommends a shorty for supercharged applications. It supposedly lets the blower draw in air more efficiently.

and people without heat generating SC will see less of a differnence.

Daddymax
06-24-2002, 01:44 PM
IF I don't have the splash guard on my car (cause of my body kit)

Should I worry about hydro lock? I avaoid puddles and stuff. But my wheel probably spits water onto my filter.

But I never submerge my filter or come even close.

B18C
06-24-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Daddymax
IF I don't have the splash guard on my car (cause of my body kit)

Should I worry about hydro lock? I avaoid puddles and stuff. But my wheel probably spits water onto my filter.

But I never submerge my filter or come even close.

It might be a bit dicey without the splash guard. I still don't think it is a big deal. I think you actually have to submerge pretty much the entire filter to hydrolock the engine. That said, CAI's are just worth the bother.

GTS Jeff
06-24-2002, 07:27 PM
A little water wouldn't do any damage to your car...it actually cleans the carbon deposits.

gpomp
06-24-2002, 08:57 PM
I've had an AEM CAI on the car for almost a year now; daily driven, no problems with hydrolocking yet... There isn't enough water in Calgary to cause any problems.