PDA

View Full Version : Math 31 Online

Neil4Speed
04-26-2005, 06:54 PM
Well right now I am taking Math 31 in school, and to say the least I am struggling. I am pretty sure that I can pass, however I want a pretty good mark in it and was thinking about upgrading it at the end of the year by doing it online. Even though I am not doing so hot, I think I understand the concepts and upgrading wouldn't be too bad.

Any thoughts?

Neil

wildrice
04-26-2005, 07:00 PM
Well, here's my experience. I took math 31 in high school and struggled with it too.
I had to take it at sait again b/c math 31 wasn't a pre-req and let me tell you, it's much easier the second time around.
I think it's worth it if you're gonna put the effort into getting a better mark.

I'm not sure if it was the different teaching method or just the fact that i was being taught the criteria twice that really helped me dot a LOT better.

Neil4Speed
04-26-2005, 07:03 PM
Thats wicked good to know, I forgot to add, I am not too keen on doing it in summer school because I wanted to get a summer internship

wildrice
04-26-2005, 07:08 PM
Do you need math 31 for the program that you're taking at post secondary?

Cuz i'd say if you're gonna need to take it at post secondary. Might as well take it in the summer and see if you can understand it better first. If you get a bad mark, it's not that big of a hit opposed to if you were to get a bad mark at post secondary.

wildrice
04-26-2005, 07:12 PM
But then again, you're taking it online, so i'm assuming that it's independant learning, so i'm not sure if it would help you too much.

BumpinTalon
04-26-2005, 07:12 PM
I took Math 31 and got a 65, and it turns out I didn't really need it anyway. it was the worst course I took through all of high school.
If you go to U of C, for instance, you are going to re-iterate most of the concepts if you get under a 70 and have to take the first math (MATH 231???), and if you are over a 70 you take more calculus, without re-doing what you did in Math 31 (MATH 234??). I don't remember the course numbers anymore, but they go over it in the calender.
If you go to SAIT, you don't need it. at all.

jaysas_63
04-26-2005, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Well right now I am taking Math 31 in school, and to say the least I am struggling. I am pretty sure that I can pass, however I want a pretty good mark in it and was thinking about upgrading it at the end of the year by doing it online. Even though I am not doing so hot, I think I understand the concepts and upgrading wouldn't be too bad.

Any thoughts?

Neil

i think u want to go into engG right......well math 31 is pretty key for engineers, becuase in ur first year u will take calculus1, and calculaus2, and in your second year u will be doing cal3.....and math 31 is a brease compared to these courses.....not to mention that u will encounter calculus in just about all your engG phys classes.....

but cal isn;t really that bad...just integration and differentiation.....if u need help with it i can probably help u come may....

and as for the online corespondance...i have no clue, but a friend did math 31 in summer and said it wass damn easy

eblend
04-26-2005, 09:38 PM
i think the math numbers go something like this

math 249 if you didn't get over 60 in calculus at school
math 251 if you did get over 60
math 253 Calculus 2

AsianCaucasian
04-26-2005, 10:13 PM
I took it in high school and did pretty shitty so I withdrew from the course. Math 249 wasn't all that hard though and for haskayne, that's all the calculus you will ever need to do.

KELSTAR
04-26-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by eblend
i think the math numbers go something like this

math 249 if you didn't get over 60 in calculus at school
math 251 if you did get over 60
math 253 Calculus 2

you can skip math 31 and just take math 249 instead of 251 depending on teh faculty you are going into. 249 has one more hour per week than 251

SteveMo600
04-26-2005, 11:41 PM
If you go to post-secondary, you're probably going to have to take an intro calculus class. If you want to go into business and get your BCOMM, then you'll need intro calc and that's it. They make you take the class whether you failed Math 31 or aced it so I wouldn't bother upgrading it.

The only difference between failing and acing Math 31 is that you'll be able to take Math 249 or Math 251. They're basically the same class except 251 moves a bit faster.

Learn as much as you can in calculus now and ace the class when you take it at U of C or wherever you end up going.

A2VR6
04-26-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63

i think u want to go into engG right......well math 31 is pretty key for engineers, becuase in ur first year u will take calculus1, and calculaus2, and in your second year u will be doing cal3.....and math 31 is a brease compared to these courses.....not to mention that u will encounter calculus in just about all your engG phys classes.....

but cal isn;t really that bad...just integration and differentiation.....if u need help with it i can probably help u come may....

and as for the online corespondance...i have no clue, but a friend did math 31 in summer and said it wass damn easy

:werd: Calc isnt too bad, I wouldnt worry about it too much, even though I did awesome in calc in high school i got destroyed in the first calc course I took in university (im in eng and my teacher was horrible) so it's a totally different ballgame. As long as you understand the basic concepts I think you should be fine. Because all the post secondary calc i've taken so far is mainly integration which you only cover for the last part of math 31. All I can say for post secondary calc is that the teacher means everything! Im doing so much better with the teacher I have now then the one I had in first semester.

Weapon_R
04-26-2005, 11:44 PM
Get a 60% in math 31, and don't use it for entry into uni.

When you get here, take Math 249 as opposed to 251. Both carry equal weight, 249 is easier. If you have math 31 behind you, you'll find 249 a breeze.

jaysas_63
04-27-2005, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Get a 60% in math 31, and don't use it for entry into uni.

When you get here, take Math 249 as opposed to 251. Both carry equal weight, 249 is easier. If you have math 31 behind you, you'll find 249 a breeze.

i remeber reading that he wanted to go to engG for some reason??.....if thats the case then he deffinatley won't be able to go this route

statick
04-27-2005, 08:41 AM
:werd: he wants to do eng, therefore he needs to ues calc to apply. worst comes to worst, upgrade for a year.

lilboykorea
04-27-2005, 10:42 AM
first time i barely passed
second time currently getting 90s
second time is MUCH easier, it just takes time for some ppl to understand the concepts and picture it...

no_joke
04-27-2005, 12:30 PM
Neil, if you are aiming for Engg (but I personally don't remember reading that about you) then learn that shit down. Calculus is key in the first two years of Engg. K-E-Y. They jam that stuff down your throat and hope it sticks. I found that they teach you way too much calculus for it to be of any practical use but you still gotta take the courses and learn it.

And I think there are residual skills that you build by learning calc that you need for engg. Like rational thinking, visualization, that kind of BS. But I would worry more about learning it than getting a great grade because once you get a few years into Uni Engg, then everyone has pretty much the same calculus skills regardless of what grade they got.

Neil4Speed
04-27-2005, 08:51 PM
Hey guys,

Well, thanks for all the imput I really appreciate it. Its funny, and somewhat of a contradiction that I want to go into engineering, however I am weak at calculus. No_joke, your right, I need to know this stuff down pat.

I think my online route might be the best course of action.

thanks for all the imput!

Singel
04-28-2005, 04:49 PM
I got 52 in Math31 (Gave it less effort than CALM) and my teacher told me I should consider challenging the mark or something to make it so I could take 249 instead of 251. I just went ahead and did 251 and did fine (hopefully neway when I get my mark back), so I'm not sure what you guys are talking about with the 60% stuff:dunno: As far as I know 50+ and you can take 251, although I almost got the impression that you were forced to take 251 if u passed 31 in HS:confused: .

Unfortunately being a lazy ass in 31 (And getting the harder of the 2 teachers teaching it at my school, I'd have aced it with the other teacher with even less effort, but I learned more that helped me this semester with the hardass I had) cost me the grade 12 Rutherford scholarship:banghead: I was so on top of things that I knew you couldn't use Phys-Ed for the Grade 12 Rutherford, and I didn't take any 30 level sciences lol. So even though I had around 90 in the other 4 courses I couldn't get the Rutherford.

Anyone know if I'd be able to upgrade my Math 31 mark now by challenging the exam or something and be able to apply for the Rutherford scholarship again? Probly a long shot, but it might be a quick $1200 for just writing another test and filling out some forms...

ronaldo
05-03-2005, 04:13 PM
if u dont have proper time managment skills ure screwed:banghead:

canuckmuscle
05-04-2005, 05:29 AM
math 41 in summer school is a joke. 94% but i didn't understand a thing at all, engg calc pwned me first year (not really, but i felt like i didn't know jack). so just wait bud

edit: math 31 (i owned math 41 so easy :D )