PDA

View Full Version : Improving Top Speed.

Skyline_Addict
04-26-2005, 10:50 PM
Hey guys, I'm a soccer player, so I rely alot on my speed and acceleration amoungst other things.

Anyways, I have really good bursts of acceleration from a stand still but I have trouble keeping it up during long distances - hence a unsatisfiable top speed. e.g i would burn someone and start running towards goal on a break away but then some guy would eventually catch up to me because at some point, i stop going faster.

What exersizes should I do to improve and keep up a better top speed?

shakalaka
04-26-2005, 10:53 PM
Seems like you need to get a better stamina! The only thing you can do is keep running more and more everytime and eventually you will get used to the longer distances. I mean there will be a point where you will have to slow down no matter what. Cant keep running at a same speed forever. But getting a better stamina will make you run for a longer time in a stretch. Try doing cardio like treadmill as well.

Skyline_Addict
04-26-2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Seems like you need to get a better stamina! The only thing you can do is keep running more and more everytime and eventually you will get used to the longer distances. I mean there will be a point where you will have to slow down no matter what. Cant keep running at a same speed forever. But getting a better stamina will make you run for a longer time in a stretch. Try doing cardio like treadmill as well.

it's not quite that. i don't slow down or "not go faster" because i'm getting tired...but just because i'm at my limit. it doesn't have as much to do with stamina as it might have to do with other factors such as calf muscles, thigh muscles...etc. when i was younger, i played red-shirt alberta so i kinda have a gist of how it works from my coaches and trainers...

what i'm looking to do is increase my speed limit, not my stamina.

shakalaka
04-26-2005, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

it's not quite that. i don't slow down or "not go faster" because i'm getting tired...but just because i'm at my limit. it doesn't have as much to do with stamina as it might have to do with other factors such as calf muscles, thigh muscles...etc. when i was younger, i played red-shirt alberta so i kinda have a gist of how it works from my coaches and trainers...

what i'm looking to do is increase my speed limit, not my stamina.

Yea well then you know what are you talking about. You must built your legs really good. Concentrate on whole legs calf muscles, thigh muscles, pretty much the whole leg muscles then. Stronger your legs are more faster you should be able to run for. Should do Squats, leg press, leg extensions. Their are several machines in the gym you can use for legs. I am sure whatever gym you go to, you should be able to find some machines that you will like and will help build your leg muscles as well.

Skyline_Addict
04-26-2005, 11:19 PM
^^yep thanks...any specific exersizes, specially tailored for this kind of enhancement?

shakalaka
04-26-2005, 11:27 PM
I am not too sure about specific exercises just for that. Because the main idea is working out the legs anyways, so any exercise that does it should be really good. Pretty much like I said. Concentrate on your whole leg. Cauz thats what you are gonna use the most while running. So any leg exersizes would be good for you. Specifically I would say you must have strong calf and thigh muscles. ALso must have a strong back upper leg (whatever that muscle is called). If you have a bike, do lots of biking, that is uber helpful as you prolly already know. As for the gym exercises all the machines that work out your legs are your best friends.

Mad$ella
04-26-2005, 11:30 PM
I thought this was going to be about a car... how wrong I am.

spike98
04-26-2005, 11:35 PM
I am no expert but running on an incline has worked for me and a few buddies. I play soccer too. Stamina is key but our coach used to make us run up a steep hill then walk down. Repeat till tired or if we had a shit game repeat till vomit, fall, black out which ever comes first.

Bigchuckers
04-27-2005, 01:25 AM
I did some training with an ex CFL'er this last spring (Dan Farthing, WR). Most workouts we dealt with were for acceleration as top speed is mainly a case of stamina and genetics (stride length etc.). The only way you can really up your top speed is to work areas that would increase stride speed and ankle strength. For this you would want to focus on standing calf raises, leg extensions, leg curls, hip extensions and hip flexions. I usually do a workout of these on my 1st day then on my 5th day (2 days rest in between) I do squats, leg press and jerks for acceleration. There is also technique work, mainly learning how to swing the arms in stride. Keep your elbow at a 90 degree angle through the whole action and your shoulder should have about the same range of motion as your hips.

~Leah~
04-27-2005, 01:25 AM
Running on an incline works... as well as backpeddling on the treadmill on a huge incline (to improve your speed there too)... plyometrics would definitely be a great start, as well as strengthening your hip flexors.

GQBalla
04-27-2005, 06:11 AM
Try running backwards like a DB (defensive back) that is a great work out for your legs...if you run a bit backwards make sure you go low so you dont fall...do that for a bit and your top speed should increase but if you have trouble with your running because you have reached your limit try some creatine...creatine helps you get that last burst of energy or last rep but it doesn't make you stronger!

calgarygts
04-27-2005, 08:57 AM
Get a new father, it's mostly genetics. There's pretty much little room for improvement on your top speed, especially if you're already doing athletics. There is some technique work you can do on your running but for that you need someone who knows how to run properly to watch and help you. All this other stuff you're being told is all about acceleration(well, some of it - some of it is people who seem to be talking to hear their own voice). None of it will really help your top speed. Overspeed is pretty much the only other thing you can really do, but you have to be careful with that - doing too much or doing it without a good base training will more than likely end up with injury. The best thing you can do is talk to one of the track coaches in town and see if they will help you out. I have some friends in town who might be willing to train you a bit (all high level sprinters at one time or another), PM me for more info.
Running up hills will NOT help your top speed. Neither will calf raises.

calgarygts
04-27-2005, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
if you have trouble with your running because you have reached your limit try some creatine...creatine helps you get that last burst of energy or last rep but it doesn't make you stronger!

Worst idea ever.

GQBalla
04-27-2005, 10:41 AM
lol
yeah so what? give me a break it was 6 in the morning and i didn't sleep all night i dont know where that idea came from!
lol

ronaldo
04-27-2005, 11:37 AM
who do u all play soccer for?

calgarygts
04-27-2005, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
lol
yeah so what? give me a break it was 6 in the morning and i didn't sleep all night i dont know where that idea came from!
lol

hahahaha...sorry dude, didn't mean to be a dink. Sometimes I just can't help it.

Skyline_Addict
04-27-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by ronaldo
who do u all play soccer for?

well i kinda got outta it after high school, but during that time I played div 1 youth league and alberta red-shirts.

i'm not a slow runner by any means, but if there are even just a select few soccer players I go up against who can run faster than me, that's what drives me.

jumperman8
05-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Hey man, want to increase speed?

Do some major plyometrics, that is how i increased my first step. If that doenst seem like a good time, many jump programs increase your speed by.5 seconds

Jeevin
05-18-2005, 10:51 PM
Man go to your local pool and do resistance training in water.
Seriously, this is very good training for running.

Also, look into plyometrics, it helps build elasticity and strength in muscles using strenuous excericising and technique.

cman
05-18-2005, 11:38 PM
i was just going to ask this same question. leah should give more in depth advice, she is the trainer her haha.
ill look up this plyometrics stuff, you guys all seem to say to try it.
thanks!

calgarygts
05-19-2005, 09:18 AM
Don't just get into plyometrics without some knowledge of them. Just doing them full tilt without the proper base will ruin your shins and joints. You need to do the right ones in the right amounts, so find some literature on them and go from there - or see if you can talk to any athletes/coaches about them.

jumperman8
05-19-2005, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by calgarygts
Don't just get into plyometrics without some knowledge of them. Just doing them full tilt without the proper base will ruin your shins and joints. You need to do the right ones in the right amounts, so find some literature on them and go from there - or see if you can talk to any athletes/coaches about them.

Word, get a solid program and where ever you get it from makes sure you read all the information on proper technique, stretching, etc, etc, i did ply's and shaved. .6 seconds off my 25 meter run.:thumbsup:

YCB
05-19-2005, 04:04 PM
i was watching something on shaw tv where this blind guy is a sprinter. He was saying something about working out your upper body and the quicker you pull your arm back, the quicker your legs pump forward. Kind of makes sense, because if you ever see olympic sprinters, most of them are ripped to shits and they are pretty big, and when they run they pump their arms very hard. :dunno:

cman
05-19-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by calgarygts

hahaha ya thats what i meant. i never try anything without extensive research before hand.

~Leah~
05-19-2005, 08:30 PM
I had a huge post on another forum about plyo's.... but it all got hacked and deleted so I'll have to type something up again. Gimme a bit here, I just need to clean then we'll see if I'm in the mood.

What I can start out by telling you is do 2 weeks of balance and core exercises pretty hardcore BEFORE ANY plyo program. So take what you will from that, I'll give some examples in a bit!

youngbex
05-21-2005, 04:17 PM
grow longer legs?

afrotl
05-26-2005, 01:31 PM
I used to run track and field so I know what you mean I competed in the 400 and the 200 m, if you are serious go and see my old coach John Cannon he is a one of the top rated coaches in North america....He is usuaully at foothills around 5:30 to 7pm Mon, Wed and I think Fridays, coaching his track team. if he is not there just ask some of the runners everyone knows him...... He has produced a lot of Olymic runners. Check your PM

Skyline_Addict
05-26-2005, 04:09 PM
^^ oh gotcha...sorry, I had no idea what your PM was about until I read the thread!

thanks!

afrotl
05-26-2005, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
^^ oh gotcha...sorry, I had no idea what your PM was about until I read the thread!

thanks!
that is cool, by the way he also does plyo's as part of his workouts.