PDA

View Full Version : Best place for affordable quality furniture?

aznexec
04-27-2005, 12:26 AM
Hey...

Other then Ikea, The Brick, and Leon's...what are some other affordable places to get some decent/good quality furniture...

Looking specifally for a place that has bedroom sets...

Any suggestions would be great. Thx in advance.

kbo
04-27-2005, 01:56 AM
penthouse furniture has some nice bedroom sets

Phy
04-27-2005, 09:54 AM
I got my couch and lazyboy from United Furniture Warehouse. (They haven't bought and sold since the mid-90's I guess.) Decent quality so far, and better prices than Ikea, the Brick, Leon's, Sears, etc. etc.

My coffee table's from Nordesign, and it's classy, but they're expensive like crazy. I only have it cos I got a wicked deal, just before they moved.

sputnik
04-27-2005, 10:01 AM
Check out EQ3 in Deerfoot Meadows (next to IKEA)

QuasarCav
04-27-2005, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Check out EQ3 in Deerfoot Meadows (next to IKEA)

That place and affordable whould not be in the same sentance. It's a boutique shop with $800 tablecloths and couches that cost more than my car.

aznexec
04-27-2005, 10:15 AM
thks for the suggestions guys...yeah was at UFW, their stuff was OK, decent pricing..not sure if i liked any of their bedroom sets tho...

I'll have to check out Penthouse :)

Any other thoughts...thanks

ZorroAMG
04-27-2005, 11:54 AM
LOL Penthouse has no "affordable" furniture if you equate affordable with Ikea.

Try Superstore and Costco if you want affordable non-ikea stuff perhaps.

Weapon_R
04-27-2005, 11:55 AM
United Furniture warehouse is cheap.

Canaduh
04-27-2005, 12:38 PM
I work for penthouse, thomasville and leather express.. affordable and the stuff we have don't go in the same sentence. The stuff that is affordable you wouldn't want anyhow:eek:

aznexec
04-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Canaduh
I work for penthouse, thomasville and leather express.. affordable and the stuff we have don't go in the same sentence. The stuff that is affordable you wouldn't want anyhow:eek:

If only i were rich:cry:

I wanna stick with affordable but not el'cheapo...I? :dunno: just looking for the best value/quality for the moola.

So is the stuff at the brick considered crappy? The wood/quality of stiff I saw looked alright..?!

kbo
04-27-2005, 05:50 PM
stuff from the brick is mostly over priced garbage...it might look nice from the outside, but the quality of the stuff is just garbage..

never buy anything from Dufreses...worst store ever...they never deliver everything at once..somehting is always missing and u have to wait for ever for it...my parents are still waiting for there love seat and night stand which they ordered last october...

BebeAphrodite
04-27-2005, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

That place and affordable whould not be in the same sentance. It's a boutique shop with $800 tablecloths and couches that cost more than my car.

Do we have the same store? The one I've gone into is the one in West Ed but I can't see the same store being so different in price between the two cities.
The stuff in this store is pretty cheap and it's pretty modern design. Like dining room chairs = 100, couches=500 or so.. really similar price to Ikea but just a bit more... like maybe 1-2 hundred more.

aznexec
04-28-2005, 09:56 PM
Ok thanks for the tips on the furniture sets...

I'm gettin married n just bought a house so now we need to furnish it...everything's so expensive :eek:

What about appliances - Washer/dryer/stove etc?? Where's the cheapest place in general? Future Shop? Brick?

All those places have don't pay for 12 months but charge between 50 buck - 99 bucks for administration fees. I wonder if there are any places w/o admin fees too?

gotta save! :)

3G
04-28-2005, 09:59 PM
look up Skyline Furniture, warehouse direct, those are the only ppl we deal with :thumbsup:

aznexec
04-28-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by 3G
look up Skyline Furniture, warehouse direct, those are the only ppl we deal with :thumbsup:

Cool, do they carry all the big brands - whirlpool, Maytag, etc? Do you know if they have the 'don't pay a cent for a year' plan?

Thanks 4 ur suggestions

Weapon_R
04-28-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by aznexec

Cool, do they carry all the big brands - whirlpool, Maytag, etc? Do you know if they have the 'don't pay a cent for a year' plan?

Thanks 4 ur suggestions

They are a warehouse. A lot of the furniture you see in stores are made by Skyline and Dynasty furniture. You can go there and get a price direct from the warehouse. Pay cash, and get a better deal. It's not quite a 'dont pay for a year' type operation :D

Rockski
04-28-2005, 10:34 PM
JYSK ? dont know if theres on in calgary but i know theres on in west ed. take it or leave it on a sunny day can get you some nice chairs :D

Wildcat
04-28-2005, 10:40 PM
my friends dad owns penthouse, i must say her house is very well furnished.

Nissanaddict
04-28-2005, 10:48 PM
if you're not in a hurry, scout out liquidation world...we got a near mint set of white leather living room couches (there was a tear on the UNDERSIDE FABRIC of the footstool...that's it...not even visible) for about a third of what it was normally worth.

black_2.5RS
02-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

They are a warehouse. A lot of the furniture you see in stores are made by Skyline and Dynasty furniture. You can go there and get a price direct from the warehouse. Pay cash, and get a better deal. It's not quite a 'dont pay for a year' type operation :D

Are these the Skyline Furniture guys you were referring to?
http://www.skylinefurniture.ca/contact.html

pyar__deewane
02-11-2007, 08:16 PM
what about that Direct buy...or is it some kind of scam...:eek:

turbotrip
02-11-2007, 08:22 PM
What about appliances - Washer/dryer/stove etc?? Where's the cheapest place in general? Future Shop? Brick?

trail appliances is good

theken
02-11-2007, 09:00 PM
trail is good for appliances, nobody mentioned Ashley furniture, we bought a leather couch and love seat, a kitchen table chairs, stools, a coffee table and matching like coffee stand, for around 4 grand, very nice stuff, well priced.

Mangina
02-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Ashley furniture is good quality, and you don't get price gouged.

djayz
02-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip

trail appliances is good
:werd: Look in the reduced/damged section. A friend of mine bought a stove/fridge/range hood and microwave for $2300 because the stove had a small dent in the side..which is covered anyways and the fridge had a scratch which wasnt noticeable.

He went to the brick and looked at stuff that was as close to his and priced it out and it wouldve cost him over $3500 so not bad.

msommers
02-11-2007, 10:10 PM
So is the stuff at the brick considered crappy? The wood/quality of stiff I saw looked alright..?!

If you can(and strongly suggest you do), stay away from the Brick. I've heard enough horror stores to never set foot in that store again.

zain123
02-12-2007, 01:03 AM
crossroads furniture
16th ave, 19th st NE (just off deerfoot)

Whitetiger
02-12-2007, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat
my friends dad owns penthouse, i must say her house is very well furnished.

pics?

pyar__deewane
02-12-2007, 01:46 AM
Ive seen that store(CROSSROADS) tons of times...is it really cheap prices...and what about that direct buy stuff

tictactoe2004
02-12-2007, 06:42 AM
The Bay has some descent stuff if you go to the downtown store, with them the secret is just to wait for some sales that overlap, like 25% off furniture, then tack on scratch and save and getting there before 10:00am or whatever time it is to get the no tax... if you add up all the sales you can get it for 30-40% list price which makes it a good deal for that quality of stuff.

D. Dub
02-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
United Furniture warehouse is cheap.

Yup

and United = The Brick = United

max_boost
02-12-2007, 12:07 PM
EQ3 is expensive. Well it has gotten progressively more over the years imo. I have some pieces from there in my house. EQ3 does have amazing sales though. The gf got two big mirriors for $7, a serving dish for $0.50 and two standing lamps for $3.50!! :eek:

carzcraz
02-12-2007, 12:23 PM
It may be worth a trip to the Sears outlet store in the Deerfoot Mall (if I'm not mistaken).

My fiance and I purchased a Sklar Pepplar couch for $400. Retail on the couch was $1700. Only thing is that you have to pick up the items yourself.

justincalgary
02-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Ashleys, Leons, Brick, United, Crossroads = same store different name on the building. you get what you pay for.

Penthouse, Bondars, Sojourn = all good quality, all over priced

I work for Halstead, we can make you whatever you want. You pick the style, size, comfort and fabric. Great quality but because no one knows who we are, less money than Sears.

We can't compete with the Brick on price, simply because we don't sell that quality (or lack thereof, and we won't give you a free tv :rolleyes:

An average priced sofa from me, is about $1200, alot less than Sears and the quality destroys them.

msommers
02-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by pyar__deewane
...and what about that direct buy stuff

Direct buy is fucking sweet, if you can make it wortwhile. My brother-in-law bought an account for furnishing his new home, it's like 5000 to sign up though! But we're cashing in. Getting a $3300 samsung LCD for $2600 with full warranty:D

pyar__deewane
02-12-2007, 02:43 PM
whoa Direct Buy isnt a scam :eek: ....but 5000dollars is a lot of moolah

SOAB
02-12-2007, 04:08 PM
i was in Halstead on the weekend and their prices on couches were VERY reasonable! also bought a bed from Justin. :thumbsup:

black_2.5RS
02-12-2007, 06:15 PM
I was at Halstead ready to buy a bed and there was no one in the store.....customers - but no staff. Tried out a few on my own but left after I couldn't find an associate. Would be interested in getting a couch from there though if the wait time is less than 4 mths.

justincalgary
02-12-2007, 08:11 PM
When were you in and which store? We don't wear uniforms or suits, so more than likely one of those customers was me:dunno:

msommers
02-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Justin, do you make commission there? Anyway you could swing a possible deal if I were to pick up a mattress, sofa and a couple lazy boys?

We want new furniture for downstairs, leather more than likely. Do you guys have a website by chance? Price match?

in*10*se
02-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Jysk

justincalgary
02-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Justin, do you make commission there? Anyway you could swing a possible deal if I were to pick up a mattress, sofa and a couple lazy boys?

We want new furniture for downstairs, leather more than likely. Do you guys have a website by chance? Price match?

I don't work on commission, I'm a salary guy. Yes I can swing you a deal on furniture. www.halstead.ca is the website, but it doesn't really show much, just kind of explains what we do. It is really hard to do price matching because you can't really compare apples to apples with us. If the majority of stores were apples, then we'd be the oranges. Doesn't hurt to come down and see what I can do for you. Only here to help, you don't buy from me, doesn't hurt my feelings at all.

justincalgary
02-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by in*10*se
Jysk

This is about affordable QUALITY furniture....Jysk is a massive step down from Ikea.

in*10*se
02-13-2007, 01:21 PM
really now, there is no such thing as QUALITY & AFFORDABLE furniture.... LoL

he listed ikea, and brick, so really, jysk isn't that far of a cry.

justincalgary
02-13-2007, 01:44 PM
really now, there is no such thing as QUALITY & AFFORDABLE furniture.... LoL

he listed ikea, and brick, so really, jysk isn't that far of a cry.

I would rather buy furniture from wal-mart than jysk

And yes you can still get affordable and quality in the same sentence, just depends what you consider affordable, i know most people on here are still in high school

max_boost
02-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Should also check out Metro Element. Corner of 8th AVE NE and Edmonton Trail.

in*10*se
02-13-2007, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by justincalgary

I would rather buy furniture from wal-mart than jysk

And yes you can still get affordable and quality in the same sentence, just depends what you consider affordable, i know most people on here are still in high school

so then, isn't jysk a good recommendation if everyone on here is in high school????:nut: :dunno:

civickid_21
02-13-2007, 11:40 PM
There is some place in northland mall, just down from bestbuy that has some pretty nice stuff, for pretty reasonable prices.

black_2.5RS
02-14-2007, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by civickid_21
There is some place in northland mall, just down from bestbuy that has some pretty nice stuff, for pretty reasonable prices.

Place is called "Kiya" in case anyone is wondering.

RawB8figure
02-14-2007, 11:33 AM
There is a place in northland mall on the golds gym side. not to expensive, and not the one by lazyboy.

justincalgary
02-14-2007, 02:36 PM

so then, isn't jysk a good recommendation if everyone on here is in high school????:nut: :dunno:

Doesn't matter how old you are, just don't buy furniture from Jysk.