PDA

View Full Version : spring/summer class at university

the-240sx-guy
04-28-2005, 01:45 PM
does anyone know how many classes you have to take during the spring or summer to be considered a full time student? is it the same as any other session, with 3 classes being full time?

thinmyster
04-28-2005, 03:00 PM
yeah dissregard my early post i obviously dont know what im doing haha

davidI
04-28-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by thinmyster
you first have to apply to the dean to take anymore than one course in spring and one course in summer. and i think max you can take is 4 not sure if you can be considered for full time though

That's definately not true. I think it might be over 3 in each before you need permission. I took 2 last spring no problem.

Despair*
04-28-2005, 04:32 PM
This may be a bit off topic, but do you guys know if post seconday institutes such as the University or SAIT offer U-passes for the spring and summer semesters ?

Celica TVS3
04-28-2005, 04:43 PM
^ I'm pretty sure they don't.

KELSTAR
04-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by davidI

That's definately not true. I think it might be over 3 in each before you need permission. I took 2 last spring no problem.
I'm registered in 2 spring and 3 summer.. i know ppl who are in 4 spring.. EEK!!! i'm not doing the 3 summer.. just 2. Just deciding which class.
I feel that anything over 2 in 6 weeks is crazy for me!

davidI
04-28-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by KELSTAR

I'm registered in 2 spring and 3 summer.. i know ppl who are in 4 spring.. EEK!!! i'm not doing the 3 summer.. just 2. Just deciding which class.
I feel that anything over 2 in 6 weeks is crazy for me!

I did those 2 classes, one of which had 5 hours of lab every week and still worked 50+ hours/week. Depending on what courses/faculty I don't see 4 courses as being too bad. If you're worried about GPA then I can see not having enough time but if you're like me and not care about memorizing the useless details just to get that A then it is within reason.

Billy
04-28-2005, 07:31 PM
I think 2 spring 2 summer would be full time, that's what I am registered in right now.

BebeAphrodite
04-29-2005, 12:04 AM
^^-- two spring/two summer is still part time.

I am about 90% sure that 3 classes makes you full time (per semester that is) so 3 spring/summer.

An easy way to check is to go onto infonet and add classes, the 'part-time' status will change once you've added enough classes.

D'z Nutz
04-29-2005, 08:30 AM
It's two class per spring/summer semester that makes you full time.

kiwi
04-29-2005, 11:26 AM
The normal maximum amount of courses you can take during Spring & Summer is two courses per semester. Your status will still say Part-Time, but Spring/Summer only allows 2 courses each. If you want to take 3 courses, then you need to ask for consent from the Dean. Just like how if you want to take 6 courses instead of 5 during the normal Fall/Winter semesters.

eb0i
04-30-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by kiwi
The normal maximum amount of courses you can take during Spring & Summer is two courses per semester. Your status will still say Part-Time, but Spring/Summer only allows 2 courses each. If you want to take 3 courses, then you need to ask for consent from the Dean. Just like how if you want to take 6 courses instead of 5 during the normal Fall/Winter semesters.

:werd:

DarkDream
04-30-2005, 12:05 PM
If you don't mind me asking why do you need to know???

Cause if you are planning to do student loan you are considered to be full time if you are applying for one....

Gainsbarre
04-30-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by kiwi

:banghead:

That is NOT true...you can take up to four courses EACH semester. If you don't believe me, go onto the infonet and sign up four courses in either the spring or summer to see for yourself. As long as there's no overlap, you're free to take up to four courses in the spring OR summer... they'll be no need to put up with the bureaucratic bullshit from any of the inept administration if you want to take 3 or 4 courses in one semester during the spring or summer. Just get onto the infonet and signup for what you want to take.

For full/part time status, it's a really grey area. I took only one course in Summer 2004, yet I was still considered a full time student on my T2202A for for that semester (contrary to what the infonet had to say about my full/parttime status those months). Two courses in one spring/summer session has always resulted in full time status for me.

BebeAphrodite
04-30-2005, 11:37 PM
hmmm.. guess I was told wrong info from student advisors (who had previously told me that I needed 3 courses/semester in spring/summer to be full time.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/registrar/students/faqs/regi_faq.html

Spring/Summer - full time status (for student loan purposes) is the equivalent of 2 half courses in each session

the-240sx-guy
05-01-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by DarkDream
Cause if you are planning to do student loan you are considered to be full time if you are applying for one....

so are you saying that even if i take one class for spring and one class for summer that im still considered full time just because im applying for a loan??

Billy
05-08-2005, 03:47 PM
^^ I think you still need to be registered into 2 courses each session to be considered full time for student loans.