PDA

View Full Version : Protege5 VS. Civic EX

djayz
04-29-2005, 05:30 PM
Well its time for me to start looking for a more easily accessible car than a coupe, so ive been looking into the Protege 5 and comparing it with the Civic EX Sedan.

I currently own a civic ex sedan and i really like the car...its great overall, havent had very many problems with it and when i get the money and find the right one im most likely gonna be picking up one of those.

BUT ive also been looking at the Mazda Protege5...this car really caught my attention when i first saw it a few years ago and ive been doing a little research into the car and comparing it with the civic and what not.

Id just like to know if theres any protege5 owners and civic ex owners out there who would take one car over the other.

I would really like to get a protege5 but pricewise i would really like the civic. If anyone can provide any input one which one is the better choice it would be great.

Thanks in advance.

menace3
04-29-2005, 05:43 PM
hey man i had a 2002 protege5 last year and it was good but it seems that it always have a problem after another . handling on protege5 was good but not that great and parts are so expensive. so i traded in and got the civic and its all worthieth

djayz
04-29-2005, 05:50 PM
yah ive been reading revirews about both cars...
it seems that the protege5 has a lot of wind noise around the car...
and theres always simple problems occuring like windows coming off the track...mirrors motor failing...rear wiper relay blows...

i dont mind but if its gonna have any major problems i would like to know.

i know for a fact since i own one that the civic is very reliable and its not too bad on gas...but ive also read that the protege5 gets pretty good gas milege even.

ohh yah and another thing...the civic ex's we get here in canada are they the 127hp ones??

lastprodigy
04-29-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by djayz
yah ive been reading revirews about both cars...
it seems that the protege5 has a lot of wind noise around the car...
and theres always simple problems occuring like windows coming off the track...mirrors motor failing...rear wiper relay blows...

i dont mind but if its gonna have any major problems i would like to know.

i know for a fact since i own one that the civic is very reliable and its not too bad on gas...but ive also read that the protege5 gets pretty good gas milege even.

ohh yah and another thing...the civic ex's we get here in canada are they the 127hp ones??

EX = our Si, and there is no EX on the civic on the 7th gens, the base ones have 117hp non vtec while the SI coupe and sedan have 127hp vtec

menace3
04-29-2005, 06:07 PM
in canada its called si yes its 127hp thats the one i got. oh yeah before my p5 was really not good in gas too. and yes weird noises on the wheels and tranny.

djayz
04-29-2005, 07:06 PM
^^
how many kms to a tank and how big was the tank?

and im looking at 96-98 civic ex's so im guessing those come with 117non vtec

djayz
05-01-2005, 04:12 PM
bump n e more of you p5 or civic ex drivers out there?

heavyD
05-02-2005, 08:10 AM
The Protege 5 looks and handles better but they aren't reliable and like other people said, parts are $$$$. Our Protege 5 started to fall apart after the three year warranty expired. One of the worst new vehicles I have seen for build quality that wasn't built in Europe.

I would get the Civic because it's a better built vehicle.

djayz
05-02-2005, 03:14 PM
yah im still leaning towards the civic but everytime i see the protege5 i just go damn...haha it looks so nice and i know with a nice set of rims and some springs itll just look so much nicer

ive liked the way that car looks since it came out...but seeing as how its going to cost me a lot more money in the long run worries me a little