PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Cheap P1/P2's, KVM switch or Monitor only switch, Small HDD's

AllGoNoShow
04-29-2005, 11:50 PM
Looking for people who have got old P1's and P2's lying around that work but they dont use and want to get rid of, for either dirt cheap or free, just to get out of the house. Don't need HDD or CDrom, need case/memory, not alot but enough to get the machien running/cpu/mobo/floppy/psu etc.., aka nothing fancy, dont need a video card either.

For the KVM or Monitor only switch, would prefer something large, for example 4 port, or a monitor only, any amount of ports will be considered, nothing too expensive as I can buy a 4 port KVM new for $70, so make me an offer.

Will also be looking for small HDD's, 5-10gigs, IDE, 3.5 or 5inch.

Can trade for other older hardware/other stuff I have lying around or will pay cash/come and get it if its a freebie.

Also would be interested in anyone with say a 10 port hub or switch lying around.

If anyone is curious as to what I am doing with it all, ClusterKnoppix, just going to throw a cluster together and play with it, got a few machines already but would be fun to have more to see how well it works.

Neil4Speed
04-30-2005, 12:14 PM
Hey man, that sounds pretty cool, if I find something I will let you know. Out of curiousity, what is ClusterKnoppix exactly?

AllGoNoShow
05-01-2005, 11:58 PM
Thanks

ClusterKnoppix is an openMosix based knoppix version, openMosix = cluster software to allow machines to basicaly join into one processing unit, spread out over multiple computers, like a super computer, except this would be on ALOT lower levels ;)

Weapon_R
05-02-2005, 12:22 AM
Is it worth the trouble? How many P1s would it take to equal the same type of processing power of my current P4?

AllGoNoShow
05-02-2005, 12:44 AM
I have a current P4 aswell, that isn't the point, its to learn the software and how it runs and see how it is setup, not to make something huge and powerful, just to learn, thats why Im using me and my buddies P1 200mhz's and just looking for a few more freebies. If I was building this for a reason or to be powerful then I would be buying new components, not used old pos.

cityhunter2501
05-02-2005, 07:05 AM
i have an IBM Aptiva P133 in here
I took out the 5GB but you can have it (dont rememebr very well anymore but I think its dead)
should have a cd drive too, videocard + voodoo

lmk if you want to pick it up for free

AllGoNoShow
05-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Where you located?

Xtrema
05-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Is it worth the trouble? How many P1s would it take to equal the same type of processing power of my current P4?

It's more stroking the geek ego rather than praticality. But I think it's cool. You should've never said what you're using it for because that just gave me some ideas what to do with my P133.

hehehe

AllGoNoShow
05-02-2005, 02:17 PM
Go ahead, but one P133 isnt a cluster, and neither is 2-3, well it is but it isnt anything top brag about, most people can get 2-3 machiens to work together.

I already got 4 at my house, 1 a buddy is bringing over, just hunting some more down.

Greek Wizard
05-02-2005, 03:01 PM
I have an old Socket 7 mobo, case and AT PSU I just took out of my "gonna junk" pile for you. Not sure if it has ram, but no optical or floppy drives (threw them out already)

Worked perfect last time I plugged it in (a while back though)

However I think it has an AMD K6/2 350 Mhz instead (used to have a 166MMX) does that make a difference?

Yours for the taking if you pick it up from Douglas Glen Gardens SE

AllGoNoShow
05-02-2005, 03:03 PM
It would work, except for the fact it is all the way accross the city, litterlly, I am in the very NW corner.

Let me see if i can take the GFs car and go down there, ill let u know.

Greek Wizard
05-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Bump.. you still want this, or will I chuck it away?

AllGoNoShow
05-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Too far away