PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what happened with the Mr2?

CryoCarnage
04-29-2005, 11:51 PM
i was wondering why they didnt sell the mr2 spyder's here and why it isn't lagal to import. i owuld have bought the car for sumemr fun if it was legal but when i looked on riv.ca bam! i got pwned. anyway any help would be appreciated.

BokCh0y
04-30-2005, 12:02 AM
i heard it was cuz it didn't pass the strict canadian crash tests and bumper laws!?! please correct me if i'm wrong.

Godfuader
04-30-2005, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by CryoCarnage
i owuld have bought the car for sumemr fun if it was legal but when i looked on riv.ca bam! i got pwned. anyway any help would be appreciated.

:werd: I was looking at a couple and found the registration thing to be impossible. My alternative is to buy and register the car in the US under a relative's address, then drive it around with US plates. Its legit for up to 6mths and thats about the time-span that calgary roads are clean. It would be a one of a kind. Those cars are amazing in person!

lancer04
04-30-2005, 01:50 AM
personally I rather get the celica
it uses the same engine and looks better

I like the last generation mr2's..spyder's are eh..

CryoCarnage
04-30-2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by lancer04

thats what we are tlaking about. heh keep up damnit! And i drive a celica. 2000 GT-s. it's not as fun as one might thinkl but control like that cra has on fwd is very respectable.

Nalgene
04-30-2005, 12:15 PM
There are a few veichles like the MR2 that arent in Canada, but are in the states.
The Isuzu Veicross is one veichle i would want to buy, and although it is legal in Canada its to much effort to get one up here.
But back to the subject, Toyota is canceling both the MR2 and the Celica sometime in 2006-07. I wonder what they are going to replace them with?

Godfuader
04-30-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by lancer04

umm....those are 2 completely different cars.
Boxter vs. Hatch
2seater vs 4 seater
Midengine vs front engine
RWD vs FWD
Convt vs Coupe

Similarities:
GT Engine
Toyota Emblem

civicrider
04-30-2005, 01:22 PM
theres a guy that lives by me with a black MR2 spyder, its the new model and he drives it all the time:dunno:

Godfuader
04-30-2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by civicrider
theres a guy that lives by me with a black MR2 spyder, its the new model and he drives it all the time:dunno:

Like this one?
Black MR-S (http://www.twosrus.com/new/images/Purchased_Products/DieCast/min66961-Spyder-black.jpg)

civicrider
04-30-2005, 07:53 PM
^
exactaly like that one

CryoCarnage
04-30-2005, 09:13 PM
back on topic, anyone know why it wasn't represented here in Canada? I would really like to know if it was something like where the ic was mounted or something stupid of the sort.

RWD
05-01-2005, 12:20 PM
the mr2 spyder is not turbocharged.

heavyD
05-02-2005, 08:06 AM
If it didn't pass our crash testing (I don't know why it wouldn't) Toyota probably looked at our climate and figured it wasn't cost effective to make design changes for the handful of MR2 spyders they would sell in Canada. Its not like the car was/is selling well in the U.S. as it and the Celica are both being cancelled due to poor sales leaving Toyota with zero cars with even a pulse of excitement.:thumbsdow

Redlyne_mr2
05-02-2005, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
If it didn't pass our crash testing (I don't know why it wouldn't) Toyota probably looked at our climate and figured it wasn't cost effective to make design changes for the handful of MR2 spyders they would sell in Canada. Its not like the car was/is selling well in the U.S. as it and the Celica are both being cancelled due to poor sales leaving Toyota with zero cars with even a pulse of excitement.:thumbsdow
Thats exactly what happened. They didnt even bother crash testing it here because I they assumed they wouldnt see their money back if they sold it here. The Canadian car market is very very small and our specific laws dont make it worth it for some manufacturers to sell cars here.

GoChris
05-02-2005, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Nalgene
There are a few veichles like the MR2 that arent in Canada, but are in the states.
The Isuzu Veicross is one veichle i would want to buy, and although it is legal in Canada its to much effort to get one up here.
But back to the subject, Toyota is canceling both the MR2 and the Celica sometime in 2006-07. I wonder what they are going to replace them with?

hm, there is an Isuzu Veilcross in my parking lot where I live. I am almost certain it has alberta plates too. I should get a pic, it makes me laugh everytime I see if because they through the biggest rims and tires on it they could find i think.

Godfuader
05-02-2005, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by rlde.us

hm, there is an Isuzu Veilcross in my parking lot where I live. I am almost certain it has alberta plates too. I should get a pic, it makes me laugh everytime I see if because they through the biggest rims and tires on it they could find i think.

I saw that 'thing' in a condo parking lot deep south around the shawnessy area. Man those rims are huge. Haven't seen any others around the city. Looks like an extra out of 'Mad Max'

GoChris
05-02-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Godfuader

I saw that 'thing' in a condo parking lot deep south around the shawnessy area. Man those rims are huge. Haven't seen any others around the city. Looks like an extra out of 'Mad Max'

thats the one! :rofl: