PDA

View Full Version : Good beginner bike?

MarX
04-29-2005, 11:59 PM
Would a 1993 Kawasaki ninja 250 be a good first bike?
The ad says it needs some body tlc so I'm assuming he dropped it.
He wants $2000 obo for it would this be a good price?
He's local to me so I can go take a look a bike if needed and take some pictures of it.

Phy
04-30-2005, 12:54 AM
From a learning standpoint, it sure would be a good first bike. Low on the power, but it'll learn you how to keep your speed up in the corners. From a "you'll keep it forever" standpoint, maybe not so much. But you can usually sell bikes like that for just a little less than you bought them for, if you buy used, so even if you pitch it after a season or two it's not a real big punch to the wallet.

Anyway, beginner rides like that tend to hold their value pretty well, $2000 might be a bit low. Go take a look at it, never buy a vehicle sight unseen.

Kobe
04-30-2005, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Phy
From a learning standpoint, it sure would be a good first bike. Low on the power, but it'll learn you how to keep your speed up in the corners. From a "you'll keep it forever" standpoint, maybe not so much. But you can usually sell bikes like that for just a little less than you bought them for, if you buy used, so even if you pitch it after a season or two it's not a real big punch to the wallet.

Anyway, beginner rides like that tend to hold their value pretty well, $2000 might be a bit low. Go take a look at it, never buy a vehicle sight unseen.

I dont think the price is low, New 04 500cc Ninja's go for $6000

Price is pretty good i would think..

MarX
04-30-2005, 01:04 AM
well i assume its probably rashed but if its got broken plastics
and such then its not worth buying at that price IMO

CRX_Si
04-30-2005, 06:54 AM
hey dude, if its a beginner bike and its only 2gs, you get what you paid for, but id prolly bargain more :D always!

MarX
05-03-2005, 11:50 AM
What are other good beginner bikes in that class or higher? (lower than 500cc though)

Phy
05-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Hooray, I'm useful!

No bones about it - the Ninja 250 will have the best performance of any commonly available sub-500 ride. (Barring the new 400cc supermotos, that is.)

Other decent 250's are the cruisers Yamaha Virago 250, Suzuki Marauder 250, and Honda Rebel. The Virago's probably the best of this bunch. It and the Rebel are V-twins, the Rebel's engine is generally thought of as hella weak. The Marauder's a single-cylinder. You might also consider the Suzuki 650 Savage. The displacement's larger than 500, but it's a single-cylinder, so the actual performance is rather relaxed.

The 500's are actually just below 500cc - the Ninja 500 and Vulcan 500 clock in at 498cc, and have slightly different versions of the same motor. Suzuki's GS500 is about 480-ish. All three are good beginner rides, and even the Vulcan 500 will out-accelerate more than a few cruisers with larger V-twins.

You might also consider a 250 dualsport. Kawasaki's Super Sherpa is the best of this lot, and has a lower seat height than the others in this class. If you can't stomach the idea of riding a cruiser, that's what I'd go with. Wicked suspension travel for soaking up potholes, huge lean angle, minimal plastic to fuck up if you drop, and you can take it on dirt trails.

(Keep in mind that I'm as yet bikeless and am basically regurgitating what I've heard from people who actually do own these.)

djstefan
05-03-2005, 04:02 PM
For your first bike get a Gixxer 1000 or don't get anything at all.

BlueGoblin
05-03-2005, 06:14 PM
^

CBR00
05-18-2005, 02:47 PM
Honda Cbr 600 doesnt matter what year. They go fast enough and they are light as hell!

eclipse00
05-18-2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by djstefan
For your first bike get a Gixxer 1000 or don't get anything at all.

Dood, STFU!! Just cause you managed to make it this far, which I am suprised about dosent mean that its for everyone.

Offer some good advise, dont be a fuckin tool!

God damn asshat!

djstefan
05-18-2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by eclipse00

Dood, STFU!! Just cause you managed to make it this far, which I am suprised about dosent mean that its for everyone.

Offer some good advise, dont be a fuckin tool!

God damn asshat!

Some people just take everything soooo seriously on these forums.

For those of you who thought I was serious, please note that you have no logical judgement of what is being posted on this or any other forum. Pls step away from the computer, go get a glass of water and throw it in your face. Then look in the mirror and tell yourself you're an idiot.

Also, on a more serious note, only pros like Eclipse should be allowed to ride gixxer 1Ks.

SOAB
05-18-2005, 04:51 PM
or only people that can "kick out their back tire when they feel like it" :rolleyes:

eclipse00
05-19-2005, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by djstefan

Some people just take everything soooo seriously on these forums.

For those of you who thought I was serious, please note that you have no logical judgement of what is being posted on this or any other forum. Pls step away from the computer, go get a glass of water and throw it in your face. Then look in the mirror and tell yourself you're an idiot.

Also, on a more serious note, only pros like Eclipse should be allowed to ride gixxer 1Ks.

You just dont get the point do you?!?!? Obviously if this guy is asking about a beginner bike he has no experience, and you're elling him to go and get a 1K!!!

Use your head, if these people dont know why wouldnt they take you seriously???

FOR FUTURE REFRENCE DJSTEFAN IS A ASSHAT AND DONT LISTEN TO HIM

djstefan
05-19-2005, 11:14 AM
He was asking about a 250 and I suggested a 1000.... doesn't take a genius to know I was jokin....:nut:

Bigchuckers
05-19-2005, 03:05 PM
my friend got a 2002 Ninja 500R .. she loves it.. it is an awsome first bike.. and make sure u take a the TOO COOL MOTORCYCLE SCHOOL course.. they r the best in calgary..:drool:

MarX
05-23-2005, 05:39 PM
Yeah i was pretty sure djstefan was joking I mean come on.
Unfortunatly I can't take too cool as I'm in ontario not calgary but I will be taking a motorcycle course before I buy a bike.

euro_racer
05-23-2005, 05:50 PM
i heard honda sbr 600 f4i is a good beginners bike

SOAB
05-23-2005, 06:31 PM
since you're in Ontario, you better check into insurance prices first before you buy cause i hear it is crazy $$$ over there.

viffer
05-24-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by eclipse00
FOR FUTURE REFRENCE DJSTEFAN IS A ASSHAT AND DONT LISTEN TO HIM
Duly noted.

:D

Tyler883
06-04-2005, 08:17 AM
My first bike was a 250 honda rebel.
It was an awesome starter bike, sat very low to the ground,

you could drive it hard and there wasn't enough power to catch you off gaurd.

Ofcourse, it's just like any streetbike, if you drive it stupid, you can kill yourself.

I weighed about 300 lbs, and it would still do 120-140 kmh going from coaldale to lethbridge( into the wind)

It's definitely a slow bike if you want to ride with other bikes, but it will still be lots of fun for solo rides.

If you buy a used one, and maintain it, I garantee that you will get your orignal purchase price when you sell it.

Good luck with whatever you buy!