PDA

View Full Version : Question about salvage cars

lookingforwork
04-30-2005, 12:14 AM
Okay can the local public buy salvage cars in alberta specially calgary? Im from saskatchewan which we can go to sgi yards and buy cars no problem. Can you do that here? If so where are these places in calgary? website?

lookingforwork
04-30-2005, 10:32 PM
bump

autospeed
05-01-2005, 12:54 PM
I dunno if the general public can, and from what I've heard its a nono (anyone correct me if i'm wrong). Most yards that I know, and go to require you to show them proof you own a business, and/or are a licensed mechanic.

From what I know back in the day too many dumbasses would buy wrecked cars, and it got to the point where it was a matter of safety, the entire ispection system was revamped as well....
All I know of is Impact auto, and Calgary Salvage dunno the websites, lol I always go in person every once in a while. I'll see if I can find their phone #'s for ya.

lookingforwork
05-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Thanks

autospeed
05-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Impact Auto (403) 285-1411
Calgary Salvage (403) 265-2260

Hope that helps, and let us know if the General Public is allowed, I never really asked them lol since they asked for proof of business or mechanics license.

Fire_chickin
05-01-2005, 01:25 PM
My dad goes to Impact Auto all the time. I'm driving a truck right now out of there. You have to buy a membership though. He didn't have a problem getting one but they may have tightened up in the last little while. The inspection process is a drag though when the car is done. Costs 300 to 400 bucks depending on where you go. I think Barlow Autobody does it the cheapest. There's only about three places in town that are licensed to inspect. It's worth it though. My truck is worth about 4 gs and I only spent about 1600 total on it. A lot of cars that are labeled salvage are easy fixes and some dumbass insurance guy dropped the ball.

lookingforwork
05-01-2005, 02:22 PM
I will let you know