PDA

View Full Version : Compressing AVIs

Weapon_R
04-30-2005, 12:15 AM
What is the best software to compress AVIs? I have a couple of 700mb avi's that I want to compress so that they fit on a single CD.

Xaroxantu Zero
04-30-2005, 12:22 AM
Depends on what quality you want. You can compress them to WMVs using Windows Media Encoder and they'll be a bit smaller. If you want to half the size you'll have to decrease the bitrate as well as the dimensions of the video literally by half.

Weapon_R
04-30-2005, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Xaroxantu Zero
Depends on what quality you want. You can compress them to WMVs using Windows Media Encoder and they'll be a bit smaller. If you want to half the size you'll have to decrease the bitrate as well as the dimensions of the video literally by half.

I'd like to preserve the quality as much as possible. If I have to lose a little, I don't mind. I'll try using the encoder and see what results I get.

AllGoNoShow
04-30-2005, 12:27 AM
I'm assuming youve downloaded videos (that ofcourse you have copies of so it isnt illegal ;) in that case, enable overburn on your CD burner and it will be fine in AVI format, CDs actually can hold I think 710 mb or something, i forget, but the movies you download have no problem fitting on a CD when overburn is enabled.

Xaroxantu Zero
04-30-2005, 01:25 AM
80 min. CDs = 700MB. Movies you download on the net are most likely to be encoded so that it will fit exactly on 1 CD per file. Some might split it to two, three or even four 700MB files to give the movie a much higher bitrate.

jaysas_63
04-30-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
What is the best software to compress AVIs? I have a couple of 700mb avi's that I want to compress so that they fit on a single CD.

most avi fit on a 700MB CD (thier capacity is ~703MB).....if u want to cut it down just a bit because its liek 10-15 mgs to big what i suggest doing would be to cut out the credits, and cut out the intro(if u must)......u can use various vid editing software for that

Weapon_R
04-30-2005, 12:09 PM
Well lets say that my avi's are 800mb instead of 700. They all vary.