PDA

View Full Version : Switching insurance companies?

3G
04-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Does cancelling your insurance policy wreck your record? Im thinking of cancelling with Meloche Monnex and transferring to AMA (it's only $7 more) because they don't ask for saftey inspections for older cars (and that's all I buy). So would it put a dent in my record or what?

Tyler883
04-30-2005, 02:39 PM
if you let your insurance lapse, you will loose any saving from your safe driving record.

I've heard of horor stories where someone thats got 30 years of safe driving has to pay the same rates as a new driver, just because they didn't have an insurance plan for a short period.

This is easy enough to avoid, just confirm that your new insurance plan is valid, before cancelling your old insurance plan.

DarkDream
04-30-2005, 03:34 PM
But doesn't the new insurance reform that happened last october changed all that....

Becasue after the reform they calculate it by how many years you have had your license and not how long you have been insured for

Correct me if i am wrong.....

3G
04-30-2005, 03:42 PM
I'm thinking of doing it in the same day, call MM cancel, call AMA insure right away.

DarkDream
04-30-2005, 07:15 PM
It doesn't necessarily have to be done the same day....

All you gotta do is tell your insurance company what day you want the coverage to end and then tell you insurance comapny to tell them you want covergae to begin on the same day the other coverage ends

Tyler883
05-01-2005, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by DarkDream
But doesn't the new insurance reform that happened last october changed all that....

Becasue after the reform they calculate it by how many years you have had your license and not how long you have been insured for

Correct me if i am wrong.....

I'm not really sure. Sounds great if thats true.

Tyler883
05-01-2005, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by 3G
I'm thinking of doing it in the same day, call MM cancel, call AMA insure right away.

I'd do it in the opposite order, just in case we are giving you bad advice..Especially if you are going to do them together, it won't cost extra to have an overlap in coverage for a few hours.

However, if you cancel , then something else comes up, a couple of hours of no coverage might become a couple days. which may not be a good thing depending on the recent insurance reform. Like Darkdream said, aall of this might not matter.

old&slow
05-01-2005, 09:13 AM
Just get the new policy worked out and then cancel the old!!

There's no law against switching companies.

Odd that we now discuss insurance in terms of cloak and dagger...We are being driven into a fear by insurance companies. We are forced to have it yet afraid to use it!!

The goverment...who are elected by thier peers...should protect us against that kinda crap.!!