PDA

View Full Version : Summer Plans - For use lazy gits.

/////AMG
05-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Ok, seems like I'm not the only one who has put on a few pounds over the last couple of months. I've noticed I'm getting a belly and I know the man boobs will start appears. :cry: :eek: :rofl:

I am not over weight just getting a little chubby, I can feel it.
Summer is here, school is almost done and I'm ready to go on good workout plan. I am wanting to change my eating habits too. I have no idea what I should start off with and how, so I’m hoping I get some good advise here.

#1 Eating Habits:
I eat chocolate that’s it lol. When I have time I usually make Egg with whatever or in a sandwich. If not Coco Puffs (cereal) is what I eat. When I’m at uni, I usually end up not eating lunch, well I usually don’t eat lunch I think. I have snacks between my breakfast and dinner (choc bars, or anything I . Dinner I usually something I throw in the oven while I’m sitting on my lazy ass watching TV. So it’s either, chicken, fish, chips, pie all that stuff. And probably 2-3 a week get my mums cooked diner.

#2 Exercise:
Honestly none. I walk a lot around campus (massive campus) and to and from the bus stop which takes about 10 minutes (uphill on the way back home).
I am going to join a gym, I personally would like going in the morning and that it. Is it best one day upper body the next lower and just keep switching every day? What’s the best time and what should I do? I’m looking to take a few pounds off (FAT!!!) and gain some muscle and get toned.

#3 Water:
Many people say it helps shed pounds, it probably does. I usually down a few glasses a couple hours after diner and just before I go to sleep (I usually does this because when I wake up I have to take a piss :rofl: - it works! I don’t get lazy and get up straight away.)

Ok throw any good advise you have a t me. Actually anything would be appreciated. I am motivated to get this done and get fit.

canuckmuscle
05-03-2005, 10:20 AM
stop the coco puffs and chocolate!!!!!!!!!!!!
just start taking in some protein, it'll help you feel full. And you can even take in a portion of it in the form of shakes (for your chocolate fix).

gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time isn't a realistic goal, however if you aren't in good shape then when you start out it is entirely possible for you (short term only). if you don't want to pay for gym fees just try some bosyweight exercises, they won't make you into arnie, but they are eas to do anywhere and you won't have any excuse not to do them. (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm you can search exercises that are bodyweight only)

DRINK WATER!!!! I'm in the boonies right now and am getting like a liter a day and i feel like i'm dying. think like 4L a day...MINIMUM!! (it sounds crazy, but just carry a bottle with you and always be drinking)

you've probably heard all this before, but i hope it helps.

/////AMG
05-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Damn what a awesome website! I didn't mind going to a gym but it seems dumbbells might just do (website really helps).
I'll probably do a little of both. Thanks for posting.

digi355
05-11-2005, 02:20 AM
start slow. get rid of the coco puffs. switch to cherois. eat tuna and salsa instead of pies. its easy and its all on the net. Start with some cardio. run as long as you can and then walk double that. that should keep you busy for the first week

Carfanman
05-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Alot of people say that its unrealistic to want to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, but I've read stuff that contradicts that. I've read that it muscles needs to use energy to grow, and that energy comes from your fat or you carbs. So, when your muscle is growing, it's burning fat, thus, you are gaining muscle and burning fat at the same time.
Another reason I dont think its correct that you cant do both at the same time is because if for example your jogging, that takes energy, aka fat, but your using your muscles to move fast, and when you use your muscles, they grow. There to, your burning fat and gaining muscle. Even weight lifting does take energy, but also uses your muscles, so It would burn fat and grow muscle.

For those reasons it would seem to me that you can most certaintly burn fat and gain muscle at the same time, and it would actually be impossible (or at least unlikely) to not do both at the same time.

Now, I read alot on health stuff, but I'm nowhere near being an expert, so I wont be so bold as to say that whoever says you cant do both is wrong, but I would appreciate it if someone who is rather knowledgable in this field would explain clearly if and why I'm wrong.

BumpinTalon
05-11-2005, 12:21 PM
carfanman, that is not how it works. the only real way to make big muscle gains and fat losses at the same time is go on steroids.. your body burns fat as a last resort, and it will not burn it to make muscle.

AMG, an easy way to get a lot more exercise in - take a bus stop one stop further then the one you usually go to, and then jog. or bike. just work it into your daily plan, stop driving altogether, jog to classes (wear a lot of good D.O. haha), switch all your chocolates and sweets for fruits, the fruits you like the most, even if they are sugary (like apples or strawberries) are still better for you then candy.

Carfanman
05-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon
carfanman, that is not how it works. the only real way to make big muscle gains and fat losses at the same time is go on steroids.. your body burns fat as a last resort, and it will not burn it to make muscle.

That still doesn't make sense to me, Your body burns fat once it burns all the carbs in you, so if your running even after you burn all your carbs, then you'll start burning fat, yet since your jogging you'll be gaining muscle as well. Can you explain to me why that wont work, rather than just saying it wont, and show me what was wrong with my examples?

davidI
05-11-2005, 05:25 PM
:(

cman
05-11-2005, 05:28 PM
come back to calgary and play in beyond soccer again:clap:

/////AMG
05-12-2005, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by digi355
start slow. get rid of the coco puffs. switch to cherois. eat tuna and salsa instead of pies. its easy and its all on the net. Start with some cardio. run as long as you can and then walk double that. that should keep you busy for the first week

Got 4 boxes left, I swear once I've eaten it all, NO MORE! :rofl: I'll get running soon.

Originally posted by BumpinTalon
AMG, an easy way to get a lot more exercise in - take a bus stop one stop further then the one you usually go to, and then jog. or bike. just work it into your daily plan, stop driving altogether, jog to classes (wear a lot of good D.O. haha), switch all your chocolates and sweets for fruits, the fruits you like the most, even if they are sugary (like apples or strawberries) are still better for you then candy.

I like that bus stop idea, very good. Thinking about it make me tired haha. I think jogging would be more effective than walking wouldn't it? I walk a lot more than I did (massive uni campus).

Originally posted by davidI
:(
:)

Originally posted by cman
come back to calgary and play in beyond soccer again:clap:
:rofl: I'll probably get more fat (cheaper food!!). And I won't be able to run across the field haha.

Tyler883
05-12-2005, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Carfanman

That still doesn't make sense to me, Your body burns fat once it burns all the carbs in you, so if your running even after you burn all your carbs, then you'll start burning fat, yet since your jogging you'll be gaining muscle as well. Can you explain to me why that wont work, rather than just saying it wont, and show me what was wrong with my examples?

You body doesn't build muscle while you are excercising, it happens a few days later - after you have gone through a recovery period.

Sure you can burn fat when your carbs are low, but you will also burn protien when your carbs are low.

The trick to muscle growth is to keep protien available for growth, if you are on a calorie restrictive diet, the protien will get burnt as energy.

So it's very simply, if you want to see big gains, or big losses, it much easier to focus on one goal, then focus on the other goal, later.

Carfanman
05-12-2005, 10:18 AM
It seems like you're saying that you're body never burns fat. You say that if you dont have calories it will burn carbs, if you dont have carbs then it will burn protien. So that makes it seem like the only way to burn fat is to starve yourself and then work out.

BumpinTalon
05-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by /////AMG

I like that bus stop idea, very good. Thinking about it make me tired haha. I think jogging would be more effective than walking wouldn't it? I walk a lot more than I did (massive uni campus).

if you speedwalk at a very high pace you will actually burn more calories then jogging at the same pace since the motion is weird and less efficient :) you will also look weird. do it with weights in your hands and say "leeeft roight leeeft roight" and you will fit right in with all those brits
wean yourself off those coco puffs, before you know it, those 4 boxes will be gone and you will have bought more and say "when I'm done these boxes, I will start eating well." you need to settle into the habit of workin out and eatin well as soon as you can. change your coco puffs for buttered whole wheat toast (very cheap too :D) or waffles (without chocolate chips, get your favorite fruit flavored ones instead) and instead of 2%, switch to 1%, if you eat chewy cookies switch back to the regular crispy ones (less trans fat), if you eat ice cream switch to frozen yogurt (not the ice cream stuff.. I mean stirred yogurt, put in the freezer and frozen, and then microwaved for 30-45 seconds or so and eaten... tastes soooo good), and once you've made those switches, start reducing your portion sizes and replacing them with healthier food (2 cookies and a banana instead of 4 cookies) and then just work towards gettin all of the sweets and bad foods out of your diet.
you can still treat yourself once a week though, have a couple of pieces of pizza every seven days, or a couple beers (beer is terrible for you, especially when you try and lose weight) or even five or six cookies. ONCE every SEVEN days.

carfanman, the problem with your idea is that your body uses protein to build muscle, not carbs. calories is just a measurement of the energy contained in carbs, fat, and protein.

Tyler883
05-12-2005, 04:08 PM
It seems like you're saying that you're body never burns fat. You say that if you dont have calories it will burn carbs, if you dont have carbs then it will burn protien. So that makes it seem like the only way to burn fat is to starve yourself and then work out.

the body is more than capable of burning all 3 ( fats, carbs, and protiens) as a source of energ....just think about it for a second - they all have calorie values.

But for the most part, the body only stores energy in the form of fats, or carbs.

If you are on a restrictive calorie count, it means that all 3 are insuficient to meet your energy needs, so there isn't enough protien for your body to put aside and save them for muscle growth.

Carfanman
05-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Yes, but if you restrict carbs, rather than calories, than their is no reason you will burn protien when you have fat.

For example:

You eat 2500 calories (some of which comes from protein) over the course of the day.
You burn 3000 calories lifting weights, swimming, running, and playing basketball.

After you burn off the 2500 calories, your body still needs 500 calories, so it takes it from your stored fat, therefore you lose 500 calories from stored fat. After you burn 3000 or something calories from stored fat, you lose a pound of fat, hence, you burn fat.

You also used your muscles over the course of the day. Over the next couple of days, your muscles rebuild themselves, and in the process, they grow, hence, you gain muscle-

[not only that, but you are using up energy/calories (even if those calories come from what you ate that day, you still are burning more calories than you would have if you werent growing muscle and therefore will use up your calories from food that day, sooner, and then will have to burn fat sooner)

-So you work out one day, and that causes fat loss as well as muscle gain.

That why I'm saying what I am. If I'm wrong, then please point out where and why I'm wrong.

davidI
05-12-2005, 09:03 PM

You also used your muscles over the course of the day. Over the next couple of days, your muscles rebuild themselves, and in the process, they grow, hence, you gain muscle-

How do your muscles rebuild themselves if the proteins and nutrients they need were burned for energy?

Read up on anabolism vs. catabolism and I'll try to make a good post this weekend regarding the two. Too tired right now!

Carfanman
05-13-2005, 09:25 AM
O, I realize what I said wrong.

OK fine, so the calories come from something else, then when you finish working out, you have protien to help build your muscle, but you already burn 3000 calories beforehand, and 500 came from stored fat.

Mr. Burns
05-13-2005, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by /////AMG
Ok, seems like I'm not the only one who has put on a few pounds over the last couple of months. I've noticed I'm getting a belly and I know the man boobs will start appears. :cry: :eek: :rofl:

I am not over weight just getting a little chubby, I can feel it.
Summer is here, school is almost done and I'm ready to go on good workout plan. I am wanting to change my eating habits too. I have no idea what I should start off with and how, so I’m hoping I get some good advise here.

#1 Eating Habits:
I eat chocolate that’s it lol. When I have time I usually make Egg with whatever or in a sandwich. If not Coco Puffs (cereal) is what I eat. When I’m at uni, I usually end up not eating lunch, well I usually don’t eat lunch I think. I have snacks between my breakfast and dinner (choc bars, or anything I . Dinner I usually something I throw in the oven while I’m sitting on my lazy ass watching TV. So it’s either, chicken, fish, chips, pie all that stuff. And probably 2-3 a week get my mums cooked diner.

#2 Exercise:
Honestly none. I walk a lot around campus (massive campus) and to and from the bus stop which takes about 10 minutes (uphill on the way back home).
I am going to join a gym, I personally would like going in the morning and that it. Is it best one day upper body the next lower and just keep switching every day? What’s the best time and what should I do? I’m looking to take a few pounds off (FAT!!!) and gain some muscle and get toned.

#3 Water:
Many people say it helps shed pounds, it probably does. I usually down a few glasses a couple hours after diner and just before I go to sleep (I usually does this because when I wake up I have to take a piss :rofl: - it works! I don’t get lazy and get up straight away.)

Ok throw any good advise you have a t me. Actually anything would be appreciated. I am motivated to get this done and get fit.

I am in the exact situation... only I am fairly small guy to begin with. Ever seen a skinny guy with a belly and man titties?? its not pretty.:D

Tyler883
05-13-2005, 10:48 AM
O, I realize what I said wrong.

OK fine, so the calories come from something else, then when you finish working out, you have protien to help build your muscle, but you already burn 3000 calories beforehand, and 500 came from stored fat.

Personally, I think it is possible to burn fat, and build muscle at the same time.

I just think it is very difficult to make lots of progress at both at the same time... probably impossible for the reasons we've already discussed.

/////AMG
05-13-2005, 11:06 AM
So I decided to do some "Speed" walking today walking down a hill, not a pretty site haha, I had to stop my self several times from not jogging or running.

Next mission: speed walk on a level road.

:nut: :rofl: :rofl:

Well I'm off (to eat some coco pops).:tongue:

/////AMG
05-31-2005, 01:39 PM
From that website in the second post, does this REALLY work, and help you get tighter abs or atleast a 6 pack?
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?MainMuscle=Abdominals&Equip=Dumbbell&Isolation=
What else can you do with dubbells to help with your abs?

Carfanman
05-31-2005, 08:33 PM
That certantily will help. Like it says, it works your obliques, which are the side abs/luvhandles. Do it, and you'll see for yourself that you feel it there. If you want to work the main abs using weights, just hold the dumbell/barbell/weight plate, on or a couple of inches above your chest while lying down, and do regular situps or crunches.

You could also do a harder situp, with or without weights.
Sit on a raised surface, so that when you lie down on it keeping your body straight (except for your knees, which you should bend), your lower body is resting on the raised surface, and your upper body is just on air, and then lower your upper body even more, so its below the level of your lower body, and do situps, so that your range of motion increases. I can garuntee this will be harder than just lying on the floor or a mat.

three.eighteen.
06-01-2005, 12:58 AM
if you've got a belly, no amount of situps/sidebends/whatevah is gonna help you get a 6-pack, you can build one in the mean time, but unless you lose weight (read fat), you're never gonna see those abs...

so basically it comes down to 2 goals in the gym:

bulking: gaining muscle and weight, by working out hard and eating harder, you will gain a little fat, but muscles/body weight will grow

cutting: shedding all the extra fat you've accumulated bulking (or just from being fat), basically you work out the same, but create a calorie deficiency (ie eating less so your body burns fat) this is what makes you toned after bulking up

so between cutting and bulking there is a middle ground where you could lose fat/gain muscle, but like tyler said it would be hard to make good headway in one direction or the other