PDA

View Full Version : is ebay coilovers bad.

coopercowan
05-01-2005, 04:36 PM
i saw adjustable coilovers on ebay for like 100 bucks are they junk or what

Chandler_Racing
05-01-2005, 04:40 PM
Considering you are looking at atleast $1000 for a decent set of coilovers, take a guess. All those are is slip-ons and most likely your stock setup is better.

lastprodigy
05-01-2005, 05:14 PM
yes but so is your grammar:thumbsup:

Weapon_R
05-01-2005, 06:06 PM
Complete garbage. Your car will ride and feel like crap

LittleAngel
05-01-2005, 06:08 PM
i put some in my car once, it slammed the back, and raised the front :rolleyes:

ride was really stiff, didnt rattle or anything like that, ride wasnt that bad.. but the height issue was what made me give them back to the guy that gave them to me

dont bother wasting ur money

Lo)2enz0
05-01-2005, 07:12 PM
alot of people who have the "coil-over" sleeves tend to replace them with spings due to the fact that they are SOOOO bouncey. If you don't want to spend your money on a set of actual coilover's your next best route would be spings and shocks, the only problem with set ups like these is that you can't ajust your ride height.

BumpinTalon
05-01-2005, 07:20 PM
odds are, if you get coilovers you probably will never adjust the ride height anyway. if you are going to get sleeve type coilovers, at least get Skunk2 or Ground Controls.
the eBay coilovers will work for awhile, but I've heard stories about how they rip apart while driving, which can do all sorts of terrible things to your shocks, alignment, tires, bumpers, etc

88CRX
05-01-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon
odds are, if you get coilovers you probably will never adjust the ride height anyway.

exactly.... thats what i've heard from most people.

its too much work to adjust rusty coils. plus you need an alignment after every height adjustment

Seanith
05-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Avoid them! One thing you dont' cheap out on is suspension mang.

mdeleon
05-01-2005, 10:30 PM
basically IMO, the best use about coilovers is that you can adjust it to the height that suits you/you're car best, but after that, it's probably rarley adjusted, am i right?

Weapon_R
05-01-2005, 10:40 PM
Pretty much. The hassle involved in adjusting the height is too much work for most people. They end up leaving it for so long that dirt/sand/rust get in there and the coils seize.

Police
05-01-2005, 11:25 PM
first off the sleeves are aluminum so go figure for the rusting problem, second you can just pressure wash the dust and grime away. I agree that once i set my desired height on my coils i never touched them again, but you get the luxury to be able to adjust them if they sag. I personally wouldn't buy Ebay ones for $100, mine were about $250 and they are Dropzones some would say its still an ebay line crap. I hope this clears it up.

lastprodigy
05-02-2005, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by LittleAngel
i put some in my car once, it slammed the back, and raised the front :rolleyes:

ride was really stiff, didnt rattle or anything like that, ride wasnt that bad.. but the height issue was what made me give them back to the guy that gave them to me

dont bother wasting ur money

did you put em in upside down?:rolleyes:

cuz any coilovers would have done that since the basic design is the same as any other sleevetype coilover :confused:

duffspec
05-02-2005, 10:23 AM
The skunks are shit! I had them with the adj. kyb's and I almost needed back & neck surgery. My friends would often smoke there heads on the roof of the civic. The good thing is watching there boobies bounce. lol

lastprodigy
05-02-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by duffspec
The skunks are shit! I had them with the adj. kyb's and I almost needed back & neck surgery. My friends would often smoke there heads on the roof of the civic. The good thing is watching there boobies bounce. lol

my skunk2s arent even bad dropped like 3.5 inches...

duffspec
05-02-2005, 01:59 PM
My experiences were on a 90 civic hb si if that helps.

ryder_23
05-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

exactly.... thats what i've heard from most people.

its too much work to adjust rusty coils. plus you need an alignment after every height adjustment

:werd: there good at first to get the desired look you want, but rarely are they adjusted. I left mine lowered for the winter, didnt really see the point in raising it, and turned out fine.

My advice which everyone has given, DO NOT CHEAP OUT. I cheaped out first time, and we'll, i ended up with blown struts left right and center. Ended up with a true coilover system and couldnt be happier. Go big or go home :thumbsup:

LittleAngel
05-02-2005, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy

did you put em in upside down?:rolleyes:

cuz any coilovers would have done that since the basic design is the same as any other sleevetype coilover :confused:

no. i didnt. there were about 30 people looking at it, and a bunch of mechanics at my work, nobody could figure it out. probably spring rate was way off

Seanith
05-02-2005, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by LittleAngel

no. i didnt. there were about 30 people looking at it, and a bunch of mechanics at my work, nobody could figure it out. probably spring rate was way off

Perhaps you switched the front with the rears? I dunno.

LittleAngel
05-02-2005, 11:57 PM
nope, front were 6 inch tall, rear were 8 inch tall...

they were just crap lol.

rice_eater
05-03-2005, 12:57 AM
they'ze as bad as jo english