PDA

View Full Version : Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

JeremyD
05-03-2005, 05:58 PM
I loved this film. I think it was totally in the spirit (though not a translation) of the book. I didn't notice the nokia product placement but that could be tongue in cheek as well. I was considering this concept when my friend was a little bummed that there was no mention of the facination for digital watches in the movie and there was in the books. It is a joke that really isn't current anymore, however cellphones are. So it might be some off hand reference that way.

Mos Def - I was worried in the beginning when I first heard he was playing. Though I will admit I know nothing about him other than he was a US rapper. But he was perfect for Ford Prefect. Sure Ford wasn't black in the books but that doesn't really matter. Did he nail the part yes. Nuff said.

Martin Freeman - The perfect everyman. Subtle in his humor and can play the straight man. A very good performance.

Sam Rockwell - Awesome. I loved the American Egotistical Rockstar image he was portraying. There were thoughts of Will Farrell or Jim Carey to do Zaphod and it would have been too goofy I think. Rockwell brought that egotistical edge to the craziness that captures Zaphod personality.

Zooey Deschanel - Reaffirms my lust interest in her. Very Cute, but at the same time not bimbo-ish she pulled off the role fairly well. Trillian wasn't as booksmart as she was in novels but seemed more worldly and adventureous which Deschanel pulled off nicely.

Alan Rickman - A better Marvin I couldn't imagine. I liked the look too. It is a very clean and simple design. He looks new and off the shelf unlike the old design. The "pain in the left side of the diodes" bits would have been nice but I don't think was needed. We got the impression that he hated everything.

Vogons - I loved the look of them. Almost caractures of British parliment.

Bill Nighy - Of all the characters in the book Slartibartfast is one that I didn't have a real set image off. Nighy pulled off a great performance.

The Guide - Great job pulling this off. Stephen Fry as the voice was a good job. It fit seemlessly with the story and wasn't overdone.

The pacing and editing of the story was dead on the story flows from scene to scene and without boring bits to tolerate before the next big laugh. The script was fairly solid though different from the books I think it was updated for the current world. The series always did seem to poke fun at the modern world so they had to modernize the story a bit.

Kamen
05-03-2005, 11:54 PM
Good movie yes.
Martin was playing with his phone for like the first half of the movie...there's your product placement. ;)

hjr
05-04-2005, 02:05 AM
i really enjoyed the film, of course the book was a better, but when isnt that true. The spirit of the film was right on, sam rockwell was rad and the score was really amazing.

definetely worth seeing

benyl
05-04-2005, 09:32 AM
My gf bought me the trilogy in 5 parts and I have read through the first two books. Should I finish the other three? I heard a rumour that the movie only covers the first book.

Phy
05-04-2005, 09:52 AM
^For the most part it does, yeah. At least finish the third book, it wraps up most of the story.

Anyway, really good movie I thought. Very much in the spirit of the thing.

JeremyD
05-04-2005, 05:50 PM
The first 3 books were the best in my opinion, so I would second the recommendation of finishing those 3. I got lost in "So Long and Thanks for all the Fish" and i am not really sure what happened there. I will have to go back and re-read it.

rio_rex
05-04-2005, 11:39 PM
I saw it a few days ago, awesome movie, enjoyed it alot! I have yet to read the books, but after seeing this movie i'm going to check out the first 3 books.:thumbsup: Oh yeah and i loved the character of douglas, haha i would have never thought up of a depressed robot.:rofl:

BumpinTalon
05-05-2005, 12:20 PM
by douglas you mean martin???? he was pretty good.. he is even more annoying in the books then in the movie though :D
it wasn't really the first book, or the second book, they just kind of took a lot of moments from a few of the books and mixed them together. I would have preferred Mos Def had more lines, he was my favorite character.. Zaphod was kind of over the top and never quite hit the mark

rio_rex
05-05-2005, 01:38 PM
^ In the movie the robots name was douglas...like i said i have yet to read the books, so i'm guessing his name was dif in the book.:dunno: I agree with you on Zaphod, he kinda annoyed me because it seemed like he was trying too hard to be funny when he really wasn't.

lancer04
05-05-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by JeremyD

Mos Def - I was worried in the beginning when I first heard he was playing. Though I will admit I know nothing about him other than he was a US rapper. But he was perfect for Ford Prefect. Sure Ford wasn't black in the books but that doesn't really matter. Did he nail the part yes. Nuff said.

yeah man if u listen to mos def's cd's hes abstract as hell , I knew he would be perfect for the part cause the way hes songs are

googe
05-06-2005, 06:38 PM
i could swear i saw will ferrell and tom green in the preview for this, but i cant find any mention of them in reviews or credits...am i crazy?

BumpinTalon
05-06-2005, 07:07 PM
yeah you are totally crazy

Lasz
05-07-2005, 12:07 AM
loved the books but I haven't seen the movie yet, guess it's about time eh?

nhlfan
05-07-2005, 01:14 AM
it wasnt great...

zaphod wasnt at all what i pictured
trillian was dead on
arthur dent was dead on
ford prefect was a little off
marvin was totally off
-what i pictured, or how the book came across

the middle was basically all new :dunno: , im not sure why they decided to cut many funny parts of the book, and include the pointless vogon and many-legged guy parts.

i wish i could have helped develop that script. :drool: