PDA

View Full Version : Alarm/starter which/where

Supa Dexta
05-03-2005, 10:21 PM
Hey guy's I'm looking to install an alarm and remote start in my car pretty soon, I see theres a ton of topics about them, about how this guy got one installed for xxx$...etc.. But I need specifics...

Basically $400 or so is what I had in mind, may be able to bump that to 500 if need be...

I don't know what all is available, but some things I know I want:

the remote start (gotta have that, I hate cold mornings)

I have factory keyless entry (I want to keep that, and possibly the keyless trunk as well if thats not a hassle, I'd prefer to not have to have a lot of remotes/keychains with me either, if the new alarm/starter can take over keyless duty, thats a plus)

I don't want loud exhausts to be setting it off all the time, just the regular bump and grind set it off type of deal...

Immobilizer is also a plus..

broken glass isn't a major concern...

I like the idea of lcd screen, 2 way high range..etc....

suggestions...

As I said I'm just starting to look into this, no idea of all the bells and whistles.. but I don't want to skimp either...

Oh and it's 5spd....no factory alarm (that I'm aware of) just the panic button on the key fob

:)

Makaveli_187
05-04-2005, 10:27 AM
i'd prb go with the new compustar model, im not sure what price your lookin at but, your looki at like 50 bucks more to get keyless entry programmed to your new remote, and 30 bucks for trunk, 30 more if u decide to activate the auxillary button on there. Theres a place down 32nd close by apple auto glass i think its on 44ave not sure exactly, but its called joylife, its a smallshop i know that they install for 5speed alarm starter combonations, so u might wanna look there name up in a phone book n get an estimate. immobilizer you'll need if your car is a newer one and your key has a chip in it, and for that module its usually about 50-60 bucks.

sullygully
05-04-2005, 06:17 PM
Go to Visions on 32nd NE. Their prices include installation, the only "hidden costs" are what they charge you for parts, which is $25. The Arctic Start (computstar) 1 way alarm/starter comes with a lifetime warranty, and your installation is also guaranteed for the life of your car. I think its around $300. Nothing flashy like you said, but it does the job.

Supa Dexta
05-04-2005, 06:23 PM
I do not have chipped key.. Anyone know any local sites that would have their available models listed? :)

Makaveli_187
05-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I do not have chipped key.. Anyone know any local sites that would have their available models listed? :)

then u save liek 60 bucks.
dont got no sites man.

Makaveli_187
05-04-2005, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by sullygully
Go to Visions on 32nd NE. Their prices include installation, the only "hidden costs" are what they charge you for parts, which is $25. The Arctic Start (computstar) 1 way alarm/starter comes with a lifetime warranty, and your installation is also guaranteed for the life of your car. I think its around $300. Nothing flashy like you said, but it does the job.

my buddy has an arctic start and it always seems to fuck up, i heard its jus a cheaper version of compustar, cuz we got em installed at the same place n ive never had a prb with mine but mines compu n his is arctic.

Supa Dexta
05-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Specific model numbers would help.. I didn't think it would be so difficult to reasearch these things.. my googling isn't turning up quite what I'm looking for...:dunno:

is it the compustar 2400/2500 that I see in other threads?

Weapon_R
05-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Go compustar. For $450ish, you should be able to find one with all of the options.

Dont settle for 1way alarms unless you don't intend on spending more than $250. More than that and you might as well go for the starter/alarm/2ways

Supa Dexta
05-04-2005, 07:11 PM
I finally just stumbled upon the compustar website.. They seem to be along the lines of what I want... 450ish is right in my range... So now who in calgary is a dealer for them?

compustar alarm/starter combos (http://www.compustar.org/security_with_remote_start.htm)

I'm not even interested in no namers, If I'm going to do this, I'ma do it right... Do they offer breaks on insurance out here if you have an alarm? I'll have to look into that as well....

:)

k_dawg
05-05-2005, 01:57 AM
I don't know but you could call quinn secuirty system and see if they sell compustar. I haven't been there in a while so I don't remember if they do but I think quinn is an ok place. Hope this helps and good luck with the rest of the purchase and install.

sullygully
05-05-2005, 09:17 AM
DO NOT GO TO QUINN! Theres a past thread on how much they suck you dry(in a bad way).

ronaldo
05-05-2005, 09:24 AM
visions wasnt very reliable for my installation...ive had my starter/alarm combo for about 5 months now and ive had problems with it ever since. They had promised me they would install the trunk release for free and now they are saying its gonna cost me another $100 outta my own pocket, and they were supposed to replace my remote because the screen cracked and ive been waiting for over 2 months for that now

sullygully
05-05-2005, 12:42 PM
^^ have you talked to the manager about this? It sucks you're getting the run-around, but i would speak with the manager if you haven't done so already.
Being such a large chain, I would think they have a reputation to withhold, and with enough provoking, you should get what you want.

ronaldo
05-05-2005, 07:27 PM
^^^yeah i have spoken with the manager and he keeps taking my # down and saying he'll call me as soon as they get the new remote in and they can replace it for me. and as for the trunk release he seems to be taking me in circles because first he said he would take care of it and now he thinks it should be my expense

Supa Dexta
05-05-2005, 10:04 PM
so people with compustar models, which one do you have and what'd it cost you? :) I got an one offer that was landing around the 600 mark...a touch high....:)

BokCh0y
05-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by k_dawg
I don't know but you could call quinn secuirty system and see if they sell compustar. I haven't been there in a while so I don't remember if they do but I think quinn is an ok place. Hope this helps and good luck with the rest of the purchase and install.

quinn = scammers. you will get bent over for sure.

Originally posted by sullygully
DO NOT GO TO QUINN! Theres a past thread on how much they suck you dry(in a bad way).

:werd:

afrotl
05-10-2005, 12:32 PM
Yep the compustars are the best I had it in my Acura and never had problems with it...go to auto dreams and they will hook you up.

afrotl
05-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Go compustar. For $450ish, you should be able to find one with all of the options.

Dont settle for 1way alarms unless you don't intend on spending more than $250. More than that and you might as well go for the starter/alarm/2ways

GO to Auto Dreams and tell him Carl sent you they will hook you up. It is off Mcknight and just before 52nd N.E.

offroaderdodge
05-13-2005, 10:17 PM
astrostart has been around for a long time too,they are decent.but pay attention,one remote or two?if you are paying 450 ,it should be two way remote,with a spare one -way remote,compustar is good,but i found the solid state shock sensor was for the birds.get a system with a two stage manually adjustable sensor.