PDA

View Full Version : peter drive in closed?

Pages : [1] 2

dooman24
05-03-2005, 11:11 PM
i hear peter's driving's CLOSED?? SERIOUSLY?

88CRX
05-03-2005, 11:11 PM
its closing, dont know fo sho when though.... i was just there last weekend and it was open

EK 2.0
05-03-2005, 11:13 PM
it is closing in the near future...due to the 16th Ave expansion project...

but heard on the news and from a friend that it was closed tonight due to an E-Coli scare...and damn I just ate there the other night with IntegraG2...

kiwi
05-03-2005, 11:14 PM
They're closing??? Oh no's!!!
Will they be moving to a new location or anything like that?

dooman24
05-03-2005, 11:15 PM
haha i don't htink so.. haha some virus shit.. haha damn peter's driving's closing.. that's crazy been here forever

jumperman8
05-03-2005, 11:18 PM
You got to be kidding, how can peters be closing, that is what calgary is known for.

I cant believe this. peters dont go!

Davetronz
05-03-2005, 11:18 PM
No no
As per the news at 11:00, Peters Drive In was closed down this evening at dinner time due to an E-coli scare.
The place will be cleaned overnight and hopefully be back up and running tomorrow morning after a pending inspection.

There were a few reports and suspected links from Peters food causing illness in a few people during the last day or so.

-D

finboy
05-03-2005, 11:21 PM
fuck, i ate there a couple days ago, hopefully no problems.

somehow i doubt this will kill thier sales, lol

XylathaneGTR
05-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Yeah, i heard the owners calling it quits tho, and has had enough.
No more peters, ever.

Davetronz
05-03-2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by finboy
fuck, i ate there a couple days ago, hopefully no problems.

somehow i doubt this will kill thier sales, lol
Pretty sure you would be feeling it by now.
I would assume a 4-24 hour infection period...

Idratherbsidewayz
05-03-2005, 11:34 PM
I had E Coli. It starts within a few hours of eating. Not a pleasant experience...

bmeier
05-04-2005, 12:06 AM
man if so someone should buy the store from the old owner, they make a killing....

Melinda
05-04-2005, 12:08 AM
Yeah we always thought that they should open a South location to go along with the north one :thumbsup: They'd make a killing!!!

Chandler_Racing
05-04-2005, 12:25 AM
Excellent, good to hear about the e-coli scare. I just ate peters around 2pm

Idratherbsidewayz
05-04-2005, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by bmeier
man if so someone should buy the store from the old owner, they make a killing....

Theyd change the name to something terrible like Bruce's drive-in though...

Neil4Speed
05-04-2005, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz

Theyd change the name to something terrible like Bruce's drive-in though...

Heres hoping that some Saudi Oil Firm doesn't buy out Peters. Last thing we need is an Al Hassam Drive in! haha

k_dawg
05-04-2005, 01:57 AM
I heard that the owner of peters doesn't want to run it anymore and none of his kids want to take over, factoring in the 16 ave expansion looks like no more peters. :(

shakalaka
05-04-2005, 02:28 AM
O well, thats true people are gonna be sad. But I barely ate their anyways. Its all fat anyways.

A790
05-04-2005, 02:30 AM
I don't know... Peters was one of the last true drive ins.

It's too bad. That place was an icon- a place to hang out, to eat, to have a good time. I will miss it.

iblizzard
05-04-2005, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by FastDak318

Pretty sure you would be feeling it by now.
I would assume a 4-24 hour infection period...

E.Coli takes 3-9 days to set in.. anything under 24 hours is very very rare... symptoms last for about a week.

I just ate there today too... and a couple times in the last week... Though I'm not all that worried... at least we all know what's going on if we start getting massive abdomenal cramps and bloody diarrhea.. :(

I hadn't heard anything about Peter's actually closing permanently though. I really hope that's not true. I knew that the 16th ave expansion was going to affect it, but I thought they would just relocate or something... :cry:

/////AMG
05-04-2005, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by A790
I don't know... Peters was one of the last true drive ins.

It's too bad. That place was an icon- a place to hang out, to eat, to have a good time. I will miss it.

Fuck, I was in Calgary for 7 years and never went once, damn it! :banghead: Always wanted to go there.

When are they closing?

sputnik
05-04-2005, 06:50 AM
Peter's burgers and fries arent that great. I wont miss them.

duffspec
05-04-2005, 07:07 AM
Oh crap!!! I ate there like on monday. I hope that I dont blow up the toilet. SHHHEEETTT

sputnik
05-04-2005, 07:15 AM
e-coli would hit you in less than 8 hours.

rice_eater
05-04-2005, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Peter's burgers and fries arent that great. I wont miss them.

they are actually pretty terrible, especially the burgers... they're good for their shakes, so people just assume that the rest is the same and buy up :dunno:

sputnik
05-04-2005, 07:39 AM
I agree the shakes were good, and I liked the generic onion rings. However it was never worth the hassle just for a milkshake. When I first moved to Calgary and was looking for a good burger everyone said to go to Peter's, so I thought that it might be pretty good. But it didnt live up to the hype or even give me a reason to go back.

Once I have enough capital I am seriously thinking about opening a burger joint that will make people forget all about Peter's.

QuasarCav
05-04-2005, 08:28 AM
I went to Peters about once a year to get a chocolate/mint/cherry milkshake and nothing else. It would be sad to see a Calgary landmark like that go away.

Sputnik: Why not a Mcdonalds? I;ve never seen one fail.

sputnik
05-04-2005, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
Sputnik: Why not a Mcdonalds? I've never seen one fail.

Calgary doesnt need another chain. They need more locally owned family run establishments.

I moved here from Winnipeg almost 4 years ago and I miss the locally established restaurants that have been in that city for decades and continue to serve great food. Calgary really lacks a good burger place with the reputation of Nick's or Tom's House of Pizza.

szw
05-04-2005, 02:06 PM
peters sucks

Weapon_R
05-04-2005, 02:11 PM
You can't open a McDonalds in Southern Alberta.

bonnieclyde240
05-04-2005, 02:27 PM
i believe peters drive in closed on tuesday..they had a sign on their window saying "due to circumstances beyond your control, we will be closed today" people pulled in to the parking lot only to drive away disappointed. they had a couple of cases where people reported Ecoli to the heath region, and because of this, peters drive in voluntarily closed it's doors.

goodbye peters drive in..:barf:

duffspec
05-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Calgary doesnt need another chain. They need more locally owned family run establishments.

I moved here from Winnipeg almost 4 years ago and I miss the locally established restaurants that have been in that city for decades and continue to serve great food. Calgary really lacks a good burger place with the reputation of Nick's or Tom's House of Pizza.

Sputnik I hope what you say is going to happen because your totally right about locally owned family run joints. I would support you as long as the price was fair :thumbsup:

QuasarCav
05-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by duffspec

Sputnik I hope what you say is going to happen because your totally right about locally owned family run joints. I would support you as long as the price was fair :thumbsup:

:werd:

I'll pay a premium above regular prices just to get a smile and some decent food. I used to love going to Burger inn because they had one of the best burgers out there but now it seems like they have gone down hill.

Sputniks Cosmoburgers!

sputnik
05-04-2005, 02:45 PM
Don't worry. I will be a Beyond sponsor and there will definately be a Beyond discount. I'll also be open late on Friday nights so people can have a good burger when they are at Secret Street, instead of the ones there that taste like fried asphalt paddies.

:)

eb0i
05-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Oooh I hope they open another one if they are closing that one. I liked their banana splits, great for date sharing :D

canadian_hustla
05-04-2005, 03:23 PM
you know, the food wasn't that great, and the prices were exorberent - but then again you wouldn't really go to Peter's for food. You would go for the atmosphere, to hang out, and to girl watch :)

regardless of the current problems, that place will be definately missed.

:(

djayz
05-04-2005, 03:38 PM
only the shakes were good n eways...and their cheap jumbo fries...other then that nothing too great other then the atmostphere...hopefully they move and in a better location the 16th ave one was horrible.

another bad thing about this place was the smell...ever get the wrath when your up at the drive through window :barf:

Despair*
05-04-2005, 05:08 PM

I'll pay a premium above regular prices just to get a smile and some decent food. I used to love going to Burger inn because they had one of the best burgers out there but now it seems like they have gone down hill.

Sputniks Cosmoburgers!

Is Burger Inn still around? I never have actually been there but I heard good things about their burgers before. My favorite place for a burger used to be Burger Town way down in Braeside in the SW but they eventually shut down due to lack of business I think. Their double town burger was incredible. Peters Drive Inn was alright for me. Never really went a whole lot but it was decent when I went.

Kobe
05-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Despair*

Is Burger Inn still around? I never have actually been there but I heard good things about their burgers before. My favorite place for a burger used to be Burger Town way down in Braeside in the SW but they eventually shut down due to lack of business I think. Their double town burger was incredible. Peters Drive Inn was alright for me. Never really went a whole lot but it was decent when I went.

Burger Inn is still around, there is one on 4th st and 18th ave i think..

Ahh i loved peters drive in.. :drool:

AsianCaucasian
05-04-2005, 05:33 PM
CB's by 14st and Northmount. :thumbsup:

k_dawg
05-04-2005, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Kobe

Ahh i loved peters drive in.. :drool:

Burger Inn isn't too bad either actually I've only been there like twice but it was ok not as great as peters. I love Joey's hambuger on 17 ave SW its really really good.:drool:

canadian_hustla
05-04-2005, 06:05 PM
new developments:

1) some female employee didn't wash her hands :barf:

2) those who stayed away from marshmellow milkshakes should be fine

3) it is open again

FiveFreshFish
05-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by AsianCaucasian

Are they still open? CBs was closed when I went there in March; this was early evening about 7:30pm.

soontobeped
05-04-2005, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Kobe

There is one on MacLeod S, too.

vcteggy
05-04-2005, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by canadian_hustla
new developments:

1) some female employee didn't wash her hands :barf:

2) those who stayed away from marshmellow milkshakes should be fine

3) it is open again

ahahaha my buddy got a chocolate/marshmellow shake there on monday...

I just called him and he's worried....

who gets a marshmellow milkshake anyway:dunno:

Despair*
05-04-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by vcteggy

ahahaha my buddy got a chocolate/marshmellow shake there on monday...

I just called him and he's worried....

who gets a marshmellow milkshake anyway:dunno:

LOL. I didn't know they mad weird flavors like that. Ordering a chocolate milkshake with marshmellows in it is asking for toilet troubles ;)

vcteggy
05-04-2005, 08:09 PM
yeah they'll mix flavors together just ask them

Shaolin
05-04-2005, 08:12 PM
milkshakes were the only thing that was good at Peter's.. although occasionally I'd order their rings.. I have to find a new place to get milkshakes now..

88CRX
05-04-2005, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by smartcar
e-coli couldn't multiply in a milkshake, I wouldn't think.

so cold raw meat doesnt have e-coli either? i doubt it.

3G
05-04-2005, 11:46 PM
Who else sells milkshakes? I liked their bubble gum milkshakes

88CRX
05-04-2005, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by smartcar
No it probably does, on the outside, but it needs to be at more or less room temperature (the old 4 to 40 degrees C range) to multiply - there needs to be LOTS of e-coli critters to make you sick.

I'm just saying a milkshake wouldn't have e-coli in it to begin with, and the amount that would get in it from someone not washing their hands, given that it's too cold to allow them to multiply, wouldn't seem to me to be enough to make you sick. But I could be wrong, I'm not a doctor or a health inspector.;)

Ya, i have no clue either.... had a chocolate milkshake there on Saturday and I'm still alive unfortunately.

iblizzard
05-04-2005, 11:56 PM
A girl who works there had it (from some unknown source)... she infected the marshmallow milkshake mix.

soontobeped
05-04-2005, 11:59 PM
Maybe she was handling the marshmallows. . .they are probably not kept cold until put into the shakes.

avow
05-05-2005, 12:00 AM
first of all...

holy shit i had a marshmellow milkshake on friday :drama:

secondly i dont think it is possible for a second peters to open because apperently it was in the will of the origonal owner that there could only be one store or something like that.

either way I really hope they dont close, i love the place.

k_dawg
05-05-2005, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by iblizzard
A girl who works there had it (from some unknown source)... she infected the marshmallow milkshake mix.

Omg I love those marshmallow milkshakes. Now I can't drink them anymore cause everytime I get one I'll be thinking of this. Its ok though I'll just drink the bubble gum ones instead. :drool: :drool: :drool:

TurboMedic
05-05-2005, 01:29 AM
Banana Chocolate or bust bitches.....

AllGoNoShow
05-05-2005, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by avow
first of all...

holy shit i had a marshmellow milkshake on friday :drama:

secondly i dont think it is possible for a second peters to open because apperently it was in the will of the origonal owner that there could only be one store or something like that.

either way I really hope they dont close, i love the place.

Him and his brother went head to head to open up drive ins, his brothers failed, and as we know Peter's succeded. Opening a second restaurant is acting as a money greedy or letting someone else do the work, Peter didn't want that, he wanted it to be the way he wanted and so therefor, one store only.

I haven't heard about it closing down yet, but I know if the 16th ave location did, QUITE a few people would be interested in buying rights and such, no one would just, I dont want to be apart of it anymore, it makes too much money for people in Calgary not to be interested.

btw I love their triple burgers and root beer shakes :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

69cougar
05-05-2005, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow

I haven't heard about it closing down yet, but I know if the 16th ave location did, QUITE a few people would be interested in buying rights and such, no one would just, I dont want to be apart of it anymore, it makes too much money for people in Calgary not to be interested.

Peiter, has always had the philosophy that if something is good enough all you need is one. I agree with a lot of the people on here about taste, or quality but the reality of it is that there is enough people in calgary along with the transient population that think of this place as a temple. Have you ever seen it not busy? In all the years I have been in YYC and gone there I have ALWAYS had to line up for 5 or 10 min.

That being said there was something in the news a few years back about Peiter saving the store from the 16th ave expansion. If you remember they did a widening of the turn lane from Ed Trail back west towards the prop line of the location. He covered the costs for this in exchange for some kind of relaxation on the distance his building will sit fromthe new road.

And also being the smart business man that he is if no one else wanted to run the store in his immediat family I am sure that someone from the extended will take over it or worse case he would sell it because the place is worth $$$$.

Plus the fact it is a cash business makes it worth that much more.

If/When someone buys it they would have to be a retard to change anything as the place seems to do quite well the way it is set up now.

In conclusion I think Peters Drive In will be around for years to come.

QuasarCav
05-05-2005, 08:06 AM
They dont put marshmellows in the shake!!! It's just a flavoured liquid.

G
05-05-2005, 09:27 AM
His brother opened a few burger joints called Bob's Drive In famous for their mushroom burgers. It went under in a couple of years due to bad locations for example Northmount and 4th street beside the Safeway isn't a great location. It's all about location when you are in this type of business.

Someone offered Gus Peiters 5 million for his place a few years ago and he didn't sell. He seems like one of those guys who will work till he's dead, money doesn't seem to drive him.

Him and his brother went head to head to open up drive ins, his brothers failed, and as we know Peter's succeded. Opening a second restaurant is acting as a money greedy or letting someone else do the work, Peter didn't want that, he wanted it to be the way he wanted and so therefor, one store only.

btw I love their triple burgers and root beer shakes :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

benyl
05-05-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by G
His brother opened a few burger joints called Bob's Drive In famous for their mushroom burgers. It went under in a couple of years due to bad locations for example Northmount and 4th street beside the Safeway isn't a great location. It's all about location when you are in this type of business.

Someone offered Gus Peiters 5 million for his place a few years ago and he didn't sell. He seems like one of those guys who will work till he's dead, money doesn't seem to drive him.

The majority of his employees are women and everyone wears the same uniform. He owns the entire block and I believe he owns the block across the street (on 16th avenue). There is more info out there on him, but I forget what was mentioned in my Venture class.

What we need in Canada is In and Out burger. It would give Peter's a good run for it's money.

ronaldo
05-05-2005, 10:07 AM
whats in and out burger?:dunno:

69cougar
05-05-2005, 11:25 AM
What about a Sonic??

:rofl: :rofl:

rage2
05-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Jack in the box!!! That's what we need in Canada.

QuasarCav
05-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Jack in the box!!! That's what we need in Canada.

Makes Mcdonalds look like health food.

bonnieclyde240
05-05-2005, 11:49 AM
I read in the paper, Peters drive in re-opened their doors on Wednesday after shutting down briefly on Tuesday. I guess on Tuesdsay when it closed, the staff cleaned EVERYTHING from the ceilings to the walls, to the floors etc etc plus they threw out all the open food and started fresh.

I dont know..I think even if it is reopened and it is supposedly safe now, I think I'd still feel sketchy eating there...

Weapon_R
05-05-2005, 11:53 AM
I heard that his children weren't interested in taking the place from him and that he'd sell for 8

Originally posted by G

AllGoNoShow
05-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

69cougar
05-05-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I heard that his children weren't interested in taking the place from him and that he'd sell for 8

Why worry about running it. let the old man get a mint and then wait for him to die. Must be the families plan. Why not take over the great family business and run it. If I had a successful business like that in my family I would unless I has aspirations to be a MD or something like that.

Hell if it will make the old guy happy he can adopt me and I will take over his business

:rofl:

thinmyster
05-05-2005, 01:07 PM
im pretty sure peters was sold to asian business man but "peter" himself was to stay the mougle of the company to maintain the image.. I used to work for a company that cleaned their exhaust hoods so some guys i worked with gave me the insite... maybe thats why his children arent taking over???

sputnik
05-05-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by thinmyster
im pretty sure peters was sold to asian business man but "peter" himself was to stay the mougle of the company to maintain the image.. I used to work for a company that cleaned their exhaust hoods so some guys i worked with gave me the insite... maybe thats why his children arent taking over???

Gus Pieters still owns Peter's and still comes into work almost every day.

Pick up a copy of the Herald today. There are 3 different articles about Peter's in the first section.

djayz
05-05-2005, 01:23 PM
its open...there was people there when i drove by in the morning...not as packed as usual but it was 11 in the mronig....and the only thing thats gonnna shut it down is the 16th ave expansion...
itll prolly move somewhere else when it happens tho

thinmyster
05-05-2005, 01:26 PM
???? thats just what i heard ????? I wasnt 100% sure its true but yah never know ????

soontobeped
05-05-2005, 01:32 PM
They dont put marshmellows in the shake!!! It's just a flavoured liquid.

Oh, okay sorry. I have not been there yet. :dunno:

cman
05-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by AsianCaucasian

CB's is teh shit. i usually pick up a milkshake from peters, then stop at CB's for food on the way home.

lookingforwork
05-05-2005, 02:39 PM
There back open i saw it on the news

TurboMedic
05-05-2005, 02:55 PM
I hear his sons are already successful, doctors and lawyers, so they have no interest in the business.....a friend of mines mom works there, and has for about 15 years.....

5hift
05-06-2005, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by ronaldo
whats in and out burger?:dunno:

In and out burger is a family run chain of burger joints located in California. Their restaurants look kinda old school like those 50's diners. Probably the fast food burger I've ever had.

sputnik
05-06-2005, 10:39 AM
In N Out Burger.

Heres the 20/20 burger.

sputnik
05-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Here's the receipt. Make your own!

vcteggy
05-06-2005, 10:50 AM
that is sick :barf:

GoChris
05-06-2005, 11:26 AM
LOL @ the 20/20 burger, thats NUTS.

how do you eat that? fork and knife i guess

GQBalla
05-06-2005, 11:38 AM
sick in and out is very sick how could someone possibly eat that?

AllGoNoShow
05-06-2005, 11:42 AM
Yah no offense but that doesn't look that appealing, even if it was only 5 pattys...

soontobeped
05-06-2005, 11:52 AM
I think that little slice of tomato and lettuce at the bottom must make it so healthy! :nut:

EK 2.0
05-06-2005, 12:33 PM
I think it's called "In & Out" cause the burgers just go in...and come right back out again...:barf:

Chanica
05-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
I think it's called "In & Out" cause the burgers just go in...and come right back out again...:barf:

hahah yeah i think you are right on that one. it was proabbly a dare or something:dunno: ....i hope.

Orbie
05-06-2005, 01:09 PM
I like the addition of the small coke at the end of the reciept...like that's going to be help wash that down!:barf:

nambis
05-06-2005, 02:17 PM
peter's drive in must be the lowest quality food in calgary. the 'meat' must come from the chef boyardee meatball factory.

B17a
05-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by nambis
peter's drive in must be the lowest quality food in calgary. the 'meat' must come from the chef boyardee meatball factory.

Have you been reading any of the news lately!??

The e-coli was started with an employee who was already sick, not from the food. Also, I have known Gus for a few years, he uses only premium ingredients for everything, the 'meat' you refer to is the same stuff you'd buy from a grocery store, not a 2mm thick grade F patty from McD's. How many other places do you get where the milkshakes have real fruit in them?

QuasarCav
05-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by nambis

Compared to 90% of the other FF restaurants out there I think you are wrong.

They may not be pretty but the burgers taste pretty good and b17a is right, try finding fruit in your milkshake without paying $5+ for it.

The E-coli scare did not stop me from eating at My Donair and it wont stop me from having my annual milkshake at Peters.

youngbex
05-06-2005, 02:39 PM
wow that burger is nasty looking

D-Man
05-06-2005, 02:52 PM
If peters does close, I will be sad.

The highlight of any trip to calgary for me is to stop in, get a dbl burger, onion rings and chocloate shake.

By no means are their burgers the best but like others have said, it's nostalgia that keeps the people coming...

soontobeped
05-06-2005, 03:24 PM
The Sun has a feature story today(?) about a little girl who got the e. coli and is fighting for her life. The paper mentioned there were at least 10 other cases (might have said 12 ;)).

As for bad quality, I have not been there, but Peter's is always on the top ten list for best restaurants in Calgary, best fast food in Calgary, best burgers, best milkshakes. . .you get the picture.

kiwi
05-06-2005, 06:27 PM
grr to people who don't wash their hands after going to the washroom! :guns:

soontobeped
05-06-2005, 07:06 PM
I do not think it had anything to do with the washroom. . .just that she did not wash her hands between handling of raw meat and the marshmallow stuff. Could be wrong though. Agree that it is foul when people do not wash their hands after using the facilities. . .think of how many grimy fingers touched that flush or door handle before you ewww.

B17a
05-06-2005, 07:37 PM
The employee was sick with e-coli already so it may have passed through an errant spit from a cough or something like that.

AllGoNoShow
05-06-2005, 07:38 PM
If you guys pay attention or read the paper/wash the news, they STATED that she didn't wash her hands after she came out of the washroom and that IS what cause this.

soontobeped
05-06-2005, 07:53 PM
If you guys pay attention or read the paper/wash the news, they STATED that she didn't wash her hands after she came out of the washroom and that IS what cause this.

But if less people washed the news and more washed their hands, there would not be this problem! :nut:

Anyway, I stand corrected. ;)

AllGoNoShow
05-06-2005, 07:58 PM
lol its getting to me :P:nut: