PDA

View Full Version : West Edmonton Mall- Bourbon Street

A790
05-04-2005, 03:02 AM
I was recently in Edmonton and I thought I'd give a quick minute or two to post my thoughts on a few of the restaurants down on Bourbon Street in West Edmonton Mall.

Earls

I am sure everyone has been to Earls, except me. This was my first visit. The atmosphere in this particular location is very upscale and trendy, which I particularly enjoyed.

Walking past the bar to get to our table I was met with a bottle of Spellagrino already on the table. Four large windows give you a direct view into the kitchen, where I was able to witness a line cook using windex to clean the inside of the window :)

The menu is standard and congruent with all other Earls restaurants I believe. That still doesn't sway my opinion that menu is relatively diverse and offers a good range of items for selection.

In my case, I enjoyed a fantastic "Camtini" (1.oz Sprite, .5oz Cranberry Juice, .75oz Triple Sec, 1oz. Absolute Vodka, .5oz Malibu)! Being my own mix I was impressed as I couldn't have made it better myself! I started with a house salad and finished off with the "Japanese Style Bento Box".

I was very impressed with the Bento box and it has become a preferred item on the menu.

The service was good and I felt that myself and the rest of the table was well taken care of.

I give the Food a 4.5/5. I highly recommend the Japanese Style Bento Box.
The atmosphere recieves a solid 4/5. I feel that the trendiness may fade over time, but as it stands now it is a very neat little place to be in.
Service recieves a 4.5/5.
Value is a 4/5.

Expect a drink, salad and entree to run you in the neighbourhood of $20.

The Old Spaghetti Factory

This is the only Spaghetti factory I've ever visited despite the fact that there is one in Calgary! I make a point of coming here every time I am at West Edmonton Mall as I still believe that it is one of the best places to go for lunch for under $15!

I feel that I am a bit tall for most of the tables at 6'2. However, inside a booth I feel more at home. I didn't really enjoy the table we were at as I got a nice view of a wall and a computer, but it was busy and beggers can't be choosers.

Having come a second time and sitting a bit higher up with a view of Bourbon street I had a much more enjoyanble time.

I started off with an Iced Tea and a Ceaser Salad, followed up by a plate of Spaghetti and Meatballs. The food is not mind blowing by any means, but definately enjoyable. We had a chocolate cake for dessert.

The service was spectacular. I made a point of saying so on the bill as I have never recieved such service before. The girlfriend and I had an amazing time and I will definately be back again.

I give the food a 4/5. The Ceaser salad was a 3.5/5 however.
The atmosphere was a 4/5. A nice view, with pretty standard fare decoration.
The service was a 5/5. I know that service varies based on the server, but it was phenominal.
Value recieves a 5/5 as well. No where else that I know can two people have a drink, salad, entree and dessert for $30.

Expect a drink, salad and entree to run you around $15.

Chocolate Death

This a neat place that specializes in desserts. It is not little at all, as it takes up a very significant portion of the right side of Bourbon Street.

I enjoyed their Gelatto (Italian ice cream). The flavour was very robust and pronounced- just the way I like it. I got a two scoop bowl for $5.

The dessert recieved a 4/5. There is no rating for service as it is over the counter.
Atmosphere is a 3/5. You don't come here for the atmosphere anyways.
Value... 3/5.

Expect a dessert to run around $6.

shakalaka
05-04-2005, 03:15 AM
Nice review man! I've always liked Earls. Its a decent place. I will deff. check out the other two places sometime. I am in Edmonton every now and then.

A790
05-04-2005, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Nice review man! I've always liked Earls. Its a decent place. I will deff. check out the other two places sometime. I am in Edmonton every now and then.

There was also a Mexican place that I really enjoyed as well. I just can't remember the name, so I didn't include it in my review!

TrevorK
05-04-2005, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by A790

There was also a Mexican place that I really enjoyed as well. I just can't remember the name, so I didn't include it in my review!

Julio's Barrio - right between the Old Spaghetti Factory and Tony Roma's I assume?

A790
05-04-2005, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by TrevorK

Julio's Barrio - right between the Old Spaghetti Factory and Tony Roma's I assume?

That's the one!