PDA

View Full Version : Cobalt SS dyno pull- 217whp

Pages : 1 [2]

adrianracer
05-09-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon

for modding potential, yes
but the power delivery from your average supercharger owns the average turbo

You should drive an SRT4, it makes serious power at about 2500 rpm and keeps pulling strong to redline, what more do you expect?

adrianracer
05-09-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Chandler_Racing

Ok here is the problem. They referred to it in jr high as reading comprehension ( you might have missed those classes). "A safe alternative means": Its a good alternative to TC and can still be safe. As opposed to a 150 shot, which some may argue is not for a stock honda engine.

As you so poorly misinterpret my wording: "A supercharger is safer than a turbo" is not what i said. (notice my wording (SAFE) as opposed to your wording safer.

I also own a FI vehicle and although by no means am I a master engine builder i have a general knowledge. I'm learning setup from someone who has built race engines since you've been in diapers.

Ok, Daddy here... When you say "a safe alternative", you are "implying" the other option is "not" safe. I took it the same way as this guy?

adrianracer
05-09-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by GoChris

im not trying to start anything, but my srt-4 was $24k also. so bang for buck the coblat is a good deal, just not the best. so something IS close to that performance, and a tad better, for $24k.

That was when they were doing an end of year blowout. They are 30K now...and worth every penny!

ecstasy_civic
05-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by adrianracer

That was when they were doing an end of year blowout. They are 30K now...and worth every penny!

When I put the deposit down on mine, it was for an 05' and we agreed on $27,200 tax in w/ sunroof. Mind you, I was getting a bit of help from a friend lol but still. I dont think I could see myself paying 30K for that car.

I think S/C's are a great alternative to turbos, but I would prefer to own a turbo car. Just preference and from being around them they are more then easy to increase the boost.
Id rather turn a knob slowly then get out my tools and yank off the pulley.:dunno:

bspot
05-09-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic

Id rather turn a knob slowly then get out my tools and yank off the pulley.:dunno:

The supercharger in the SS has an electronically controlled waste gate. I'm totally new to superchargers, but is it not possible to have a boost controller that keeps the waste gate closed longer to allow for higher boost to be built up? :dunno:

ecstasy_civic
05-09-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by bspot

The supercharger in the SS has an electronically controlled waste gate. I'm totally new to superchargers, but is it not possible to have a boost controller that keeps the waste gate closed longer to allow for higher boost to be built up? :dunno:

Thats new to me too lol
Im pretty sure you cant do that.

YamaLube
05-09-2005, 06:26 PM
Whatever guys, you can put fancy rims, a fast engine and a spoiler on a station wagon, and its still a sation wagon.

The fact is the SRT-4 is a neon, and some people realize that neons are just old, ugly, and overall crappy cars. At least the cobalt is a new face, cobalt all the way................

Toms-SC
05-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by bspot

Nope, the by pass value is in place to release some boost. It is inplace because there is no reason for your supercharger to be createing boost all the time. I wish I could word it better....As far as I know at WOT the waste gate is closed.

finboy
05-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by YamaLube
Whatever guys, you can put fancy rims, a fast engine and a spoiler on a station wagon, and its still a sation wagon.

The fact is the SRT-4 is a neon, and some people realize that neons are just old, ugly, and overall crappy cars. At least the cobalt is a new face, cobalt all the way................

just a neon, you do realise that the neon is an awsome platform to build of for performance right?

a car is a car, it has 4 wheels, and you can make pretty much any new car go fast and handle well, who care's what the name of the car is? the srt comes with a 2.4L turbo motor that can handle a TON of abuse (if you have ever seen a 2.0L or 2.4L torn apart you would see why), a factory name brand LSD, coilovers offered from the factory, upgrades for lots more power from the factory, and many more nice features (not to mention some kick ass seats).

the whole "its a neon" argument was played out back when the srt-4 came out, now its just sad :rofl:

YamaLube
05-09-2005, 08:47 PM
Well, I stand corrected, the 30000 dollar neon is a super deal............................

finboy
05-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Well, I stand corrected, the 30000 dollar neon is a super deal............................

considering it will hand a $50,000 350Z its ass and still be covered by waranty, it is a good deal

YamaLube
05-09-2005, 08:59 PM
It'll need the warrenty, likely several times. Oh, and this post is played, sooooooo played................

:whocares:

finboy
05-09-2005, 09:05 PM
It'll need the warrenty, likely several times. Oh, and this post is played, sooooooo played................

:whocares:

bs, contrary to popular igorant beleifs, they aren't that un-reliable of cars, the first gen neon's had a headgasket issue which was completely solved by using a MLS headgasket, besides that they are great cars for reliability.

YamaLube
05-09-2005, 09:22 PM
You win Finboy, Neons are the best, most reliable, highest resale cars money can buy, in fact why don't you change your signature picture, a SRT-4 is way better than that black heap.............the fact that it accelerates fast is the only redeeming quality of this car. The styling is so dated, the platform handles like shit, bad quality reputation(despite what you say, but is a dailmer chrysler problem overall), cheap neon-like interior, interior noise equal to farm machinery, etc etc. I can go on. It is a redneck sports car at best, and any import (japanese or german), or new GM product is so much more refined that the acceleration advantages are a moot point. 30K can be better spent at least six different ways.

You can save your reply, we already know what it is, you are preaching to the wrong choir, now take your neon colored ball and go home...............

finboy
05-09-2005, 09:29 PM
You win Finboy, Neons are the best, most reliable, highest resale cars money can buy, in fact why don't you change your signature picture, a SRT-4 is way better than that black heap.............the fact that it accelerates fast is the only redeeming quality of this car. The styling is so dated, the platform handles like shit, bad quality reputation(despite what you say, but is a dailmer chrysler problem overall), cheap neon-like interior, interior noise equal to farm machinery, etc etc. I can go on. It is a redneck sports car at best, and any import (japanese or german), or new GM product is so much more refined that the acceleration advantages are a moot point. 30K can be better spent at least six different ways.

You can save your reply, we already know what it is, you are preaching to the wrong choir, now take your neon colored ball and go home...............

didn't say they were the best, they are a good alternative to whats on the market. have you driven a new srt4? looked at the factory suspension upgrades available? noticed the large all wheel disc brakes or very nice factory z rated tires?

as for the "black heap" ..... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

adrianracer
05-09-2005, 09:33 PM

Ok smart ass, a SRT4 is a hell of a lot better than what you drive, which is nothing according to your profile?

adrianracer
05-09-2005, 09:36 PM

That's great lube boy, go do your homework now....

Chandler_Racing
05-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Nothing wrong with the srt-4, you would be hard pressed to find a car under 30k new that compares with it from a performance standpoint

YamaLube
05-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Man you guys are easy to get revved, up. First off fin, the toyota is smoking, it was a joke, the two are not even in the same leauge. Secondly, I think the neon is a joke, that is my opinion, but adrian, enjoy your ride.

As for what I drive, I have a 1998 F-150 S/C 4X4, and a 2005 Honda Pilot(have a family) No sports cars, used to own a supercoupe, but had to sell it, it was full of quality demons too, just like yours will be, stay tuned for that. I love to read about cars though, and everytime I read about the SRT-4 is the same thing, grrrrreeeat acceleration, nice seats..............................not much else. But again, enjoy your choice in automobiles. Bye Bye all............................

Toms-SC
05-09-2005, 10:03 PM
used to own a supercoupe, but had to sell it, it was full of quality demons too, just like yours will be, stay tuned for that.

Its called maintenance, you do it, live long and prosper.

Freebs
05-09-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by finboy

i have no problem with superchargers really, just see turbo's as my way to make lots of power, hahaha

look forward to seeing what your car can do at the track, maybe we can line up if i ever get my car back togeather again :thumbsup:

i wouldnt mind lining up with you at the races... and hey if i loose i loose, i dont mind... and if you got a car like the MR2 in your sig... i definatly wouldnt mind loosing to you... i love thoughs cars...

Originally posted by Toms-SC

I just checked out your cardomain site, looks like you have an M62 or an M45. Porting can yeild you atleast another 10 HP if you have ever considered. A benefit of it besides power would be that the charge air temperature would be lower. Just saying...

yea its the M45 supercharger i have... And i have thought about it, but i dont know any places that i could get it done here in calgary? would i have to send it out to do? and how much would it cost me? Right now i am working on hooking up a SMC Alcohol Injection kit and running a 2.5" pulley (8-9psi)... And yea i have done my research on this.. and have talked to many guys with the same set up as me and they have had no problems with it

finboy
05-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Freebs

i wouldnt mind lining up with you at the races... and hey if i loose i loose, i dont mind... and if you got a car like the MR2 in your sig... i definatly wouldnt mind loosing to you... i love thoughs cars...

unfortunatly thats not the car i have, its the next one i want to start building around next summer, i'd stick with what i have but cars are like an addiction and i want something new, i'm sure you understand, hahaha

check the "www." in my sig for pics of my car

Freebs
05-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by finboy

unfortunatly thats not the car i have, its the next one i want to start building around next summer, i'd stick with what i have but cars are like an addiction and i want something new, i'm sure you understand, hahaha

check the "www." in my sig for pics of my car

ahah yes i know the feeling... and it sucks some times... But hey if you ever get your Chrysler up and going again let me know i wouldnt mind running against that.. (not saying that in a cocky way) just wouldnt mind lining up with you at race city one night... i have been there 100's of times.. never raced though.

bspot
05-10-2005, 12:16 AM
So... how bout those new cobalts... :poosie: