PDA

View Full Version : XP Professional x64

legendboy
05-05-2005, 12:00 PM
Any reason I should start thinking about upgrading workstations to this version of xp? People at work are asking me all kinds of questions (being the makeshift IT guy) and i just tell them not to worry about it lol

AllGoNoShow
05-05-2005, 12:10 PM
What do you do at work?

Basically unless you are into arctitectual work or HUGE graphic design or something rather expentensive, it isn't worth it.

1. The driver's aren't nearly close to being finished for the basics
2. The hardware to even utilize the OS would mean upgrading the older systems, yes even a year and a half old is too old.
3. Without the hardware, it isn't worth the time as it will just be the same windows basically

Wait until "Longhorn" officially releases and give it 3-4 months for the bugs to be worked out, first release is never good to buy, then manufactures will be making more drivers/hardware support and developers will start programming for it once it is on the market.

CSMRX7
05-05-2005, 12:32 PM
My company uses it. We do reservoir simulation, so it it a "user freindly" system which provides us with enough memory to handle larger models.

sputnik
05-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Don't you need a 64 bit processor to run XP Pro x64?

legendboy
05-05-2005, 12:46 PM
We only have one person here that uses Autocad2k. But we did just buy Inventor but none of our models would use more than say 50 parts. Its out cad lady thats kicking up such a stink over it. She is using a P4 2.4 with some whizzy matrox vid card and 1gig of ram. I don't know what she is whining about! lol

AllGoNoShow
05-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Correct me if I'm out of my mind, but CAD is still just 2D drawing and such, aka any Pentium 1 should be able to do it.

Do a fresh install on her system, new os, new software updates, new everything, and it will probably run better. If she is really bitching, just drop a 2.8 over the 2.4 and she won't have anything to complain about.

redline
05-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
We only have one person here that uses Autocad2k. But we did just buy Inventor but none of our models would use more than say 50 parts. Its out cad lady thats kicking up such a stink over it. She is using a P4 2.4 with some whizzy matrox vid card and 1gig of ram. I don't know what she is whining about! lol

to see a real benefit you need a version of CAD for 64bit extenstions. there are some minor things that are good but overall not worth it unless you have 64bit software.

redline
05-05-2005, 01:57 PM
that 2.4 will not have x64 so you would need a new computer.

legendboy
05-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
Correct me if I'm out of my mind, but CAD is still just 2D drawing and such, aka any Pentium 1 should be able to do it.

Do a fresh install on her system, new os, new software updates, new everything, and it will probably run better. If she is really bitching, just drop a 2.8 over the 2.4 and she won't have anything to complain about.

inventor is 3d modeling. she isn't complaining about anything, just all her cad friends employers are buying into the whole 64bit crap :dunno:

AllGoNoShow
05-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Bah, tell her to wait a few months and when they officially release an OS and some new software/hardware, then you will buy her a system then, instead of buying one now and then another later when newer is released.