PDA

View Full Version : Problem with LCD monitor.

StupidWade
05-05-2005, 08:33 PM
A buddy gave me this monitor to check for him. He doesn't know if the unit was dropped in the past, but it was working on a Wednesday and then on Thursday it had the following problem.

When I power it up, it displays a white background with colored, vertical, single pixel wide lines. There are also horizontal black stripes which get wider for about 5 seconds (picture 1.)

About three seconds after the monitor is turned on, a purple ghost image (picture 2) or haze will start appearing. It gets darker and darker for about 5 more seconds and then the monitor powers off and can't be turned on again for about an hour.

Is this the LCD or some a PCB problem?Any other ideas?

http://members.shaw.ca/wadek5/Monitor-before.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/wadek5/Monitor-after.jpg

AllGoNoShow
05-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Try a different graphics card, I know that from the first picture I had a similar problem with my monitor and it ended up being screwed up settings.

Not trying to start anything, but if the LCD was dropped, and its "used" I have a feeling it would be considered stolen in my books. People don't carry their LCD's with them, therefor they shouldn't be dropped. If they were in a building, got ripped off a desk/machine, and rushed out the door, theres quite the potental for damage.

StupidWade
05-05-2005, 09:05 PM
On your advice I tried the onboard video on my Dell. It was the same thing (first try had been from the video out of an old IBM laptop.)

Re: whether or not it's hot, he told me he got it at an auction in town, but I have no way to confirm that.

I checked the case a little more closely and there are no scratches or impact marks that would indicate any damage, but I can't think of what else would cause this problem. I'm sure these things are quite delicate.

I probably won't be able to see any problem if I open it up, so I guess I'll just give it back to him next week and tell him it's FUBAR.

Thanks for the suggestion about the different vid source.

AllGoNoShow
05-05-2005, 09:10 PM
Somethings wrong with it then, send her in for Warrenty if you can find someone with a reciept

AllGoNoShow
05-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Not to foil his or your plans, but if it was at an auction its either a theft recovery, theives trying to sell it, companys getting rid of shit products or police getting rid of shit/confiscated etc...