PDA

View Full Version : Tab's to seal compression ?

ConVict
01-10-2003, 06:54 PM
Sent my car in today to the mechanic shop ( wasnt firing in 2 cylinders ) Gave em a call later today and he told me they used these things that look like tylenol, they bounce around until they melt to all the walls in the cylinder like teflon... Said it would last a good 100 000km before the warrenty voids.
Never heard of it before, sounds kinda shotty to me ?
What do you guys think ?

ancient
01-10-2003, 08:14 PM
I have never heard of that before, but....

DSM Power
01-10-2003, 10:30 PM
Sounds like :bullshit: to me... Did you get a compression check? What are the before and after results.. that's what counts.

ConVict
01-10-2003, 11:48 PM
No compression what so ever in the middle cylinder is the before results.... I am waiting for the end result tommorow and I suppose I could post it for you guys :thumbsup:

RickDaTuner
01-11-2003, 12:19 AM
well i dont think littel Tylenol type tablets would stay in the cylinder very long, wouldnt be to long before they found themselves getting firesou the exhaust valve,??

turboMiata
01-11-2003, 01:42 AM
Never heard of such a thing. However, i have heard about guys cleaning their cylinders by injecting water into their intake. Water is totally harmless to the engine and is a byproduct of combustion anyways.

However, Tylenol or Aspirin is often used by old skool mechanics when they change engine coolant. To keep the thermostat open when topping up the coolant, they would stick an aspirin table into the thermostat.

turboMiata
01-11-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
well i dont think littel Tylenol type tablets would stay in the cylinder very long, wouldnt be to long before they found themselves getting firesou the exhaust valve,??

Agreed, which leads me to ask the following questions:

1) How do they put the tabets into the cylinder in the first place? by removing the head?

2) Will the tablets disintegrate after a while inside the cylinder or would it leave it thru the exhaust port?

3) How does it know when to leave the cylinder or disintegrate?

4) If it doesn't disintegrate in the cylinder, what's going to happen if the tablets slam into the something downstream, like a turbo impeller?

Maybe I don't see all the facts here. I have to call :bullshit: on this one. however, i would like to see them do this on their own car.. hehe.

5.9 R/T
01-11-2003, 01:59 AM
Did they check your blinker fluid too?

ecstasy_civic
01-11-2003, 02:06 AM
how about those pesky muffler bearings or alternator fluid?

4wheeldrift
01-11-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by turboMiata
Never heard of such a thing. However, i have heard about guys cleaning their cylinders by injecting water into their intake. Water is totally harmless to the engine and is a byproduct of combustion anyways. SMALL quantities of water are harmless to the engine. Hydrolock has a nasty tendency to break con rods.