PDA

View Full Version : Auto Liquidators--a greasy move

Fivewayradio
05-06-2005, 03:14 PM
Was shopping for a car for my girlfriend this week and was outright lied to by a salesguy at Auto Liquidators. I don't expect much more from used car sleaze, but this one bugs me.

The guy was pitching us on a car, says it's been on the lot for over 90 days and they want to get rid of it. He says we can probably have it for 8k. We think, shit, that's a decent price so we go and get it inspected. $70 inspection later we come back and tell the guy we'll give him 8k for it. Now he's says no, it's 9k, that's the best they can do. Well, my girlfriend simply doesn't have 9k, never mind the cost to fix the problems the inspection found, so we have to walk.

I don't mind spending money on inspections since they could save me thousands on potential repairs. But to spend the money after being told we could get the car for 8 then having the guy bump up the price seems pretty greasy to me.

Anyway, just a warning before you deal with these guys. Get some firm numbers BEFORE you spend the money on an inspection.

2fast4me
05-06-2005, 03:19 PM

Celica TVS3
05-06-2005, 03:21 PM
^^ brutal. It may have been a verbal contract but you'll be wasting your time to try to have it inforced.

But i would imagine they would let it go for 8k. A sale is better then having it sit on the lot. Personally i wouldn't buy a car from a used car lot.

Fivewayradio
05-06-2005, 03:27 PM
I'm not sure that it was a verbal contract, and I'm not going to follow it up. I just think it's a greasy move to bump up the price when they know that we're interested enough to spend the money for the inspection. They know you want it because you've already commited money and time to it, so they know you don't want to lose that investment.

I don't have a problem buying a car from a used car lot, but you do have to be extremely careful. Oh well, another lesson learned.

rmk
05-06-2005, 04:15 PM
tell him fine thats okay, we are prepared to offer 8K and thats it. we are going to look elsewhere and call us if you change your mind. then wait for the phone call later that day.

sounds like a typical used car salesman (sorry for the blatant generalization :) )

have a good weekend guys.

infected
05-06-2005, 05:25 PM
:werd:

Take it for $8000 or leave it

Nufy
05-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Go back in a week.

If its still there...

Offer him 7500.00

nismodrifter
05-07-2005, 09:48 PM
http://www.cfcn.ca/servlet/RTGAMArticleHTMLTemplate/B,C/20050429/apausedcar?brand=generic&hub=&tf=CFCNPlus/generic/hubs/frontpage.html&cf=CFCNPlus/generic/hubs/frontpage.cfg&slug=apausedcar&date=20050429&archive=CFCNPlus&ad_page_name=&nav=home&subnav=fullstory

they failed the test done by CFCN btw

Fivewayradio
05-08-2005, 11:19 AM
Great link! Thanks for posting. Definitely gives some insight into the shady side of the biz.