PDA

View Full Version : Computer Experts needed...

/////AMG
05-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Ok I need a computer expert. My hard drive is dead; I’m sending it as soon as the package stuff comes. But I just realized I need some work which is on the HD that I have to hand in on Monday (It will save me hours!!). The first time I took it into PC World the hard drive had bad clusters and they were removed. Basically my computer would load only up to the windows loading screen then restart, and it kept doing this over and over. The person who fixed it wrote this (how he fixed it):

the looping boot – winxp cd recovery console chkdsk /p & /r gives unrecoverable error (bad cluster(s)). Booted into goldendragon pe environment & recovered all bad…
Is there anyway I can get into the “goldendragon pe” environment? I can’t access the comp in anyway, not even in safe mode. The second time I took it in (a month later) he said he can fix it an extra $55 but the problem will happen again, my HD is gone and I should take it back. Any help to get into windows (to quickly put my work on an USB stick) would be greatly appreciated.

Davetronz
05-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Well you would need to build the goldendragon pe environment first...
PE = Pre-Install Environment.

I use BartPE ....

If I were you I would take your comp back to the person who worked on it as you have the potential to mess somethin up good ;)

Davetronz
05-07-2005, 04:57 PM
And hooking your hard drive up to another computer and attempting a data backup to another drive might be an option.

Kamen
05-07-2005, 05:05 PM
So your HD is completely dead?
You can't even plug it in as a secondary/slave and look at the files there from another primary/master drive?

/////AMG
05-07-2005, 05:32 PM
FastDak318, it's already messed as it is, won't hurt to try would it?I don't wanna give the guy like $60 bucks just so I can grab a document or two (if it's even on there, it's not on my usb or cd's), but I thought it's a worth a try asking on here.
And hooking the hard drive up to the laptop... probably need some sort of different wires wouldn't I?

---

I know jack abour computer parts and how they function. It isn't completely dead all my shit is still on there, he got into it some how (goldendragon?).

Kamen, how would I plug it in as a secondary/slave?
Obviously it's not as easy as flipping a switch like Cd/DVd-roms, is it?

ex1z7
05-07-2005, 05:52 PM
You can connect a second harddrive with the same cable you have in there now, given they're both SATA or both IDE, and then you can perhaps access your stuff through the other harddrive.

Worth a shot. Or bring it into a repair shop and ask them to retrieve your document(s).. then return the drive :P

BokCh0y
05-07-2005, 06:05 PM
why don't you slave the defective drive and see if you could access it that way?

Khyron
05-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Get another PC, doesn't matter how fast it is, and hook your bad harddrive as a 2nd drive in that PC. That's what everyone is talking about when they say slave. But you need another computer unless you happen to have a USB HD enclosure. :D

You can take it to a friends, whatever. Copy all the shit you can to his HD, then toss it in the garbage.

Khyron

Davetronz
05-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Is this a laptop?

Actually PM sent.

Kamen
05-07-2005, 10:15 PM
If you have another hard drive with windows on it, you can plug in the broken drive and set that as a slave/secondary drive which you can access from My Computer on your good drive.
You broken drive, if still operable, will appear as another storage drive and if it works you can access whatever is in it and copy it out of there!