PDA

View Full Version : Coil Over Springs vs Sports Suspension

EnRich
01-10-2003, 11:13 PM
Coil Over Springs vs Sports Suspension????

Guys WTF is the differance besides the price... ??? I need to lower the Accord before the summers come on again... What do you recommend... I'm currently looking at the OE Sport Springs (H&R) with a 1.75 F and 1.50 R low...??? Guys I need to have the stock ride comfort retained but I want a real agressive look... The car will be wearing either 17"s or 18's summers..... Should I move up too the race springs which are 2.25 ??? REM I dont wanna lose ride comfort... Thats why I god ride of that prelude... Comfort.... I need INFO ! ! !

RICH

max_boost
01-10-2003, 11:17 PM
Hmmm....you will lose the ride comfort anytime you switch to larger size rims and lowering the car......however with the right suspension setup you can minimize the lost of ride comfort.....

Ok, the H&R sport springs are good.....you don't want to drop your car too much and and go get yourself a set of Koni Yellow Shocks.....fully adjustable, set it to your desired firmness.....

All said and done around $1500 for the setup and $300 for install+alignment depending where you go.....

max_boost
01-10-2003, 11:19 PM
Ground control coilovers which utilize a eibach spring is also good alternative to H&R springs, a little bit more expensive but raise and lower your car at your own will!

But the Koni Yellows are a must if ride comfort is important or else you will be bouncing all over the place

EnRich
01-10-2003, 11:31 PM
KONI YELLOWS are an upgrade shock absorbers correct???
Will 1.75 and 1.5 be enough for a real aggressive look??? How much space will that leave in the wheel Gap on 17s???

EnRich
01-10-2003, 11:35 PM
Ohhhhh whats the differance between the KONI yellows and reds??? Where would you guys recommend me getting these things.... price doesnt matter I want a fucking perfect job done... Can you guys tell me a good place to get an exhaust as well... I want something with a dual tip stainless steel thats nice bright silver... and something that doenst fart....

RICH

max_boost
01-10-2003, 11:37 PM
I think that will be an aggressive enough look......You must keep in mind ground clearance as well, do you want to be scraping everywhere you go? Just curious, have you driven a lowered car? There is a little learning experience here...... :)

You should PM Shadowz, that dude has a lot of Honda buddies so maybe he can tell you the space left after the drop/wheels......

What year is your Accord? Coupe or Sedan?

max_boost
01-10-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by EnRich
Ohhhhh whats the differance between the KONI yellows and reds??? Where would you guys recommend me getting these things.... price doesnt matter I want a fucking perfect job done... Can you guys tell me a good place to get an exhaust as well... I want something with a dual tip stainless steel thats nice bright silver... and something that doenst fart....

RICH

Koni Yellows are adjustable meaning you can adjust the ride comfort, some like it firm, some like it soft, some like it in between.....there is a knob that you place over the strut and just turn it! haha its pretty coolz!

Tunerworks has great deals although you can try calling other shops. Exhaust, I think Greddy Catbacks are second to none. I speak of experience because I had these parts on my last car!:thumbsup:

Hope that helps, I don't really know much about anything:rofl:

EnRich
01-10-2003, 11:41 PM
Its a 02 EX-L Sedan... I dont wanna be scraping anything... plus a body kit needs to go on top of those springs.... THANKS for the info on the coil overs now i know that they mean... I'm not interested in lowering and uping my car after I've done it... I'm just want an agressive CLEAN LOOK without losing my ride
btw how old are you?
RICH

4wheeldrift
01-11-2003, 08:40 AM
Coil overs like ground controls give you the choice on your ride hide, so you aren't necessarily stuck with whatever your springs alone will give you. You also have your choice of what spring rates you want to run, so you can tailor the cars handling or ride more to your liking.

Koni yellows are a single adjustable shock, giving you control over how the shock reacts to various sized bumps. You can generally go anywhere from less firm than stock into really really stiff. Once again you can use it to tailor the way the car handles and rides to your liking. Koni reds are a non-adustable sport shock, a bit more aggressive valving than most stock shocks but not extremely outrageous. Ride quality shouldn't be affected too much with them.

Hipermax_d
01-11-2003, 02:25 PM
has anyone had trouble in winters when they lowered their cars with springs?? for example got stuck in snow because bumpers too low?

buh_buh
01-11-2003, 02:47 PM
but remember if you go with coilovers the ride quality won't be as good as if you use springs.
I have Koni Yellows and Ground Controls and I think the ride is still a little stiff.

Fuji
01-11-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Ground control coilovers which utilize a eibach spring is also good alternative to H&R springs, a little bit more expensive but raise and lower your car at your own will!

But the Koni Yellows are a must if ride comfort is important or else you will be bouncing all over the place

H&R's cost at least $150 more per set when compared to Eibach.

EnRich
01-11-2003, 06:06 PM
Yea but I want my front lowered more then the rear... I hate it when I see cars that are lowered equal the the rear of the car looks like its sagging.... Eibach doesnt give you the option of lowering the front more then the rear... So I need the H&R springs and I need the KONI Yellows and I will have a real good agressive look right??? REM this is an accord... I need agressive ; )

BTW will you be able too see alot of yellow if the KONIs are yellow in color... Will it reall show???

Integra Type R
01-11-2003, 06:11 PM
For a honda product, try Comptec, I think that is the corect way for spelling, but because they base around Honda, they can do a great job at lowering a car with just springs.

EnRich
01-11-2003, 06:21 PM
Can you guys please give me phone numbers or address of these places.... EXP when you recommend em.... THANKS

RICH

boi-alien
01-11-2003, 06:22 PM
enrich, call up nick at autozeal he'll set you up 277-2977. he can get you basically anything you need