PDA

View Full Version : Regret The Investment?

CIVIC_MAN
05-07-2005, 07:32 PM
For people that have spent 10k+ on doing up their cars

now that you look back, would you still do it all over again, or was it a waste of money?

Hollywood
05-07-2005, 08:31 PM
BOTH!!!

I was well over 15K.

Looking back it was not worth it but I had alot of fun with it so....

This time I am more conservative on what I buy.

Shaolin
05-07-2005, 08:34 PM
I'll do it again in the future, but i'll be working on a nicer car.

Chandler_Racing
05-07-2005, 08:36 PM
I didn't spend 10k, but if i had the opportunity to build up my car again i would. I'm sure people who have had to sell thier babies can't quite justify it though.

Mad$ella
05-07-2005, 09:03 PM
I have spent just under $20,000 :eek:

And I know that the car wouldn't sell for that...

I wouldn't change anything!!!
If you love your car as much as I do its all worth it!! :D

Redlyne_mr2
05-07-2005, 09:05 PM
Hehe and I would rephrase your title, it sure isnt an investement. The money that I put into my vehicles, makes them more enjoyable which makes my life more enjoyable because of all the fun I have. I see so many people who float through life with no hobbies, they live to work, they have mortgage payments, have kids who will end up hating them then will retire and sit at the mall drinking coffee with a bunch of other old people complaining about the weather. Fuck that. Money will come and go in life but you'll only get one chance in this lifetime so you better make it good.

Toms-SC
05-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Close to 6, and hating every moment I spend more

max_boost
05-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Of course not :)

I've spent so much money on cars, mods, depreciation, that I've lost count of where I am at. I agree very much with what redlyne_mr2 said, I enjoy switching vehicles and modding them, adds enjoyment to my life.

Those who are always preaching shit like, screw the car, buy the house blah blah :whocares: :tongue: No one views a car as an investment anyway, it's an expense, not an asset.

Kirbs17
05-08-2005, 12:35 AM
I havent even modded a car yet, and im sitting on a 13k car. To me it feels like im finaly at the stage where I can start the addiction and being modding cars. Thats what I view the process as... an addiction. You always want the best, better, more... etc.. I dont regret buying my car, Im only 19 and already Im looking into 30k cars... Enjoy life!

FiveFreshFish
05-08-2005, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
I've spent so much money on cars, mods, depreciation, that I've lost count of where I am at.

It's best not to know. :D

88CRX
05-08-2005, 12:55 AM
redlyne pretty much summed it up.... if your not spending your money on <insert favorite hobby here> then WTF? you are only young once and you only live once, might as well fuck around while you still can :D

GTS Jeff
05-08-2005, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Hehe and I would rephrase your title, it sure isnt an investement. The money that I put into my vehicles, makes them more enjoyable which makes my life more enjoyable because of all the fun I have. I see so many people who float through life with no hobbies, they live to work, they have mortgage payments, have kids who will end up hating them then will retire and sit at the mall drinking coffee with a bunch of other old people complaining about the weather. Fuck that. Money will come and go in life but you'll only get one chance in this lifetime so you better make it good. :werd:

People "invest" in mutual funds and real estate. I "piss money away" on my car.

tapout
05-08-2005, 01:06 AM
at least u guys get to drive ur rides 1 of my 64 impala ss cost me 30kand its still not done.mind u my car goes up in value every year but anyways enjoy life man fuck $$$

CIVIC_MAN
05-08-2005, 04:00 PM
yea i guess i made a mistake, i know it sure isn't an investment, being young with hopes and ambitions i just wanna make sure i do the right thing, i guess i'll just make smart choices on what i buy and what car i put my money into

finboy
05-08-2005, 04:06 PM
i blew well over 10 on mine (including work done by others, parts that i bought and didn't even use, etc.) on my car and although i could have built it for half from all the stuff i have learned over the last couple years, i look at it as a learning experience.

after this season if i go with another car i know that i can build it for much less because...
A: I know what parts to buy now, and how to do things myself.
B: Now I buy parts that are universal and can be used on several cars (turbo, intercooler, fuel pump, injectors, etc.)

i *could* have invested all that money, but then what would i have but a stack of money and nothing to show for it. However i have also learned that i do need to spend less on my cars as i have several other expensive hobbies, and i do need to put cash aside as an "incase shit happens" fund.

its a balancing act :D

ken-gsr
05-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
redlyne pretty much summed it up.... if your not spending your money on &lt;insert favorite hobby here&gt; then WTF? you are only young once and you only live once, might as well fuck around while you still can :D

:werd:

Ed the SOHC
05-08-2005, 05:05 PM
no regrets.... Life is for the Living!

Eken9
05-08-2005, 05:15 PM
Why would you regret it?
I enjoyed doing it,I wouldn't be the person I am today if I didn't do what I loved to do.

lam-boy
05-08-2005, 05:38 PM
nah, money is made to be spent. spend it on what you love. i love my car. :D but right now im sad because she don't run ahha.

Shaolin
05-08-2005, 06:09 PM
Might as well enjoy what you got. As long as you save enough to retire, you're doin fine.

Idratherbsidewayz
05-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Ive spent more than 10k and don't regret it one bit. Every time I punch the gas I get a smile, and for me its all worth it in the end.

heavyD
05-08-2005, 10:56 PM
I regret wasting some of it for sure but after every car I say the same thing; "I'm gonna leave this one stock". I couldn't even leave my winter Talon stock. I put in a bigger turbo, boost controller, intake, and straight through exhaust just over the winter.:cry:

Maybe next car.:dunno:

crazydave
05-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
I regret wasting some of it for sure but after every car I say the same thing; &quot;I'm gonna leave this one stock&quot;. I couldn't even leave my winter Talon stock. I put in a bigger turbo, boost controller, intake, and straight through exhaust just over the winter.:cry:

Maybe next car.:dunno:

HAHAHA! its an addiction i must agree.
no regrets from me.

Dave P
05-09-2005, 02:25 PM
The money that I put into my vehicles, makes them more enjoyable which makes my life more enjoyable because of all the fun I have. I see so many people who float through life with no hobbies, they live to work, they have mortgage payments, have kids who will end up hating them then will retire and sit at the mall drinking coffee with a bunch of other old people complaining about the weather. Fuck that. Money will come and go in life but you'll only get one chance in this lifetime so you better make it good.

Well said.

I think my only problem is that i cant stick with anything. Had a 450sel, was gonna do some work on it, then got into the bike scene, then bought my legend which i wanted to do up, but now i think im going german again.

86max
05-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Hehe and I would rephrase your title, it sure isnt an investement. The money that I put into my vehicles, makes them more enjoyable which makes my life more enjoyable because of all the fun I have. I see so many people who float through life with no hobbies, they live to work, they have mortgage payments, have kids who will end up hating them then will retire and sit at the mall drinking coffee with a bunch of other old people complaining about the weather. Fuck that. Money will come and go in life but you'll only get one chance in this lifetime so you better make it good.

haha, couldn't have said it any better. Some people spend their whole life planning their future and miss out on everything in the present. I'd much rather look back and say "ah those were the good ol' days, pissing money away on stupid cars, food, and alcohol" than be some miserable old guy with no friends and an impressive portfolio.

GT-FOUR
05-09-2005, 04:06 PM
Probably spent $20 or $30k.

Regret? Definitely not. Although some of the things I did I might not do again, I can't place a value on the amount that I have learned over the years by doing what I've done.

BumpinTalon
05-09-2005, 04:17 PM
I haven't spent much on performance... but over the years I've spent around $7500 on stereo stuff. I never regret it while I have it.. but I regret it when I decide I want something better, I wish I never got the stuff I had, but buying new stuff makes that feeling go away... although it usually comes back in a few months and I have to get something new.

JordanLotoski
05-09-2005, 04:19 PM
huge waste i spent over 17,000, ill never do it again.

Loose
05-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Scooped up a car with $10k in add-ons for about $3k more than it would be worth if it were stock. That is the way to do it, if you can find a car you like.

I have friends that have spent $60k+ in mods. Some are rich and it's play money, some had to save so hard for that and now shutter when they think about what they've done.

Mods are a ok if you have the disposable income, but shit... might as well throw it down a guarberator.

Mr. Burns
05-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Dumping money into car mods is not an investment.

Loose
05-09-2005, 05:06 PM
Yeah, investment w/a 25% return, minus tickets.

About as good of an investment as vacations.

rage2
05-09-2005, 05:20 PM
I've blown so much money on my cars, I've lost the sense of value of money. For instance, I'll go blow $200 or $300 a night on partying, and it doesn't feel like I spent anything. That's the shitty part lol.

And yea, I'll do it again haha. It's fun!

TomTom
05-12-2005, 08:24 PM
iv spent lots, now i want luxury, i want a is300, g35, or a crysler 300 with some rims and thats it, and hell no i dont regret buying the cars or spending money on them i had so much fun in them and driving them that i could not put a price on the memorys