PDA

View Full Version : Onboard vs Soundcard, soundblaster vs Audigy

GucciBoy
05-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Specifically for laptops. I had an Audigy 2 PCI card but had to return it due to the messed up drivers and popping sounds, which apparently is common problem with this card for laptops. Anyways, do you think soundcards are worth buying for a laptop? There really isnt a selection out there. Apparently they take some strain off the cpu by processing audio itself, giving your cpu a performance boost. its not so much about the CPU boost, but whether or not its even a good investment. I didnt have the audigy long enough to be able to test it out cause of the problems it was causing. But how about say just the standard 24bit soundblaster ($70, $80 less than the audigy), and if it would give me a significant boost in mp3's.

I dont play games (on my laptop anyhow), I dont have 5.1 nor do I plan on, but I do have a wicked high end set of speakers hooked up to it, and rarely movies on it. I dont need EAX. HQ. 6.1. all the software creative offers....so basically it comes down to, will it make a noticeable improvement for just mp3s, though mp3s are only 16bit generally. From what Im thinking the only benefits audigy have over a soundblaster is the surround features, like EAX etc. But generally should be the same card pretty card right. Both 24bit, have 5.1, and audigy just with the extra features and software.

GucciBoy
05-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Im thinking of this card, not bad price. Anyone know any places in town who carry turtle beach cards?

Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro USB Sound Card

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1068181&CatId=0

BerserkerCatSplat
05-08-2005, 03:44 PM
I'm super-biased (I refuse to buy Sound Blasters), so I'd say go for the Turtle Beach. If you want REALLY kickass audio, I think M-Audio makes a USB soundcard (available on TigerDirect) That Turtle Beach card has an optical SPDIF output, apparently, which I highly recommend for high-end speakers. What speakers are you using? Many high-end computer speaker setups have an optical SPDIF (Toslink) conection. If yours do, by all means, go for a card that has SPDIF!

The chances are VERY slim of finding Turtle Beach hardware anywhere in Calgary... I tried for a couple of months to track down a retailer, and found none.

GucciBoy
05-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Ya I think Audigys are a rip off if you dont play games or have 5.1

I have klipsch. I dont see a toshlink jack.

M-Audio is good but even more than the audigy $

BerserkerCatSplat
05-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Which Klipsch set do you have?

soupey
05-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSpl
I'm super-biased (I refuse to buy Sound Blasters), so I'd say go for the Turtle Beach. If you want REALLY kickass audio, I think M-Audio makes a USB soundcard (available on TigerDirect) That Turtle Beach card has an optical SPDIF output, apparently, which I highly recommend for high-end speakers. What speakers are you using? Many high-end computer speaker setups have an optical SPDIF (Toslink) conection. If yours do, by all means, go for a card that has SPDIF!

The chances are VERY slim of finding Turtle Beach hardware anywhere in Calgary... I tried for a couple of months to track down a retailer, and found none.
NROOOO i used to have a quadzilla soundcard from turtle beach, they didnt offer ANY support for it after winxp came out, i wudnt be surprised if they didnt support any of their products after a while, go creative imo....

soupey
05-08-2005, 05:26 PM
oh and i bought my turtle beach sound card from futureshop

GucciBoy
05-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by soupey
oh and i bought my turtle beach sound card from futureshop

were talking external?

i have pro media 2.1 berserk

BerserkerCatSplat
05-08-2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by soupey

NROOOO i used to have a quadzilla soundcard from turtle beach, they didnt offer ANY support for it after winxp came out, i wudnt be surprised if they didnt support any of their products after a while, go creative imo....

Wow, how long ago was that? I can't even remember the last time I saw Turtle Beach hardware at Future Shop. Hell, the Montego II Quadzilla was based in Windows 95 - a lack of support for Windows XP is hardly surprising.

Originally posted by GucciBoy

i have pro media 2.1 berserk

Ah, Klipsch didn't jump in the SPDIF bandwagon until later models. The optical output is kinda useless to you, then. With MP3 and such, you're probably not going to hear much of a difference in sound quality between cards. Your only realistic difference is going to be price.

GucciBoy
05-08-2005, 08:49 PM
hmm interesting. I think im gonna try out the 24bit ext sound blaster first ($70), then if im not happy get the tiny one from tigerdirect.ca. its not bad for $70, vs the $150 for audigy.

i just dont feel like paying shipping and going thru all that hassel doing online (joys of buying online eh).